Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 09:21 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,754,293 times

Advertisements

The OP may be thinking of this program available to some Veterans. But it is a collaboration of HUD & the VA.

Housing Assistance - Homeless Veterans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 09:28 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
If I have offended anyone I sincerely apologize. I should have worded my paragraphs differently. But I have already explained why I mention the two together in my OP.

I am not trying to say ex-con and military are similar kinds of people. But I am wondering do they have the same type of benefits. From my experience, a veteran who is disabled will get some kind of subsidy for housing. I have seen the letters and documents. I am not sure if all kinds of vets get this. I guess because if they are disabled, they are having trouble locating work, or cannot work at all, so the gov't has some duty to help them out. Or if it is by some charity or what not.

And then someone made a thread about renting to a murderer. I am thinking, well the gov't probably assist these guys as well too no? I mean, why not? And if anything, it could not hurt to ask. I am sure there those kinds of people have trouble finding work and housing.

That is all. I was not saying military personnel are stone cold killers without remorse. This is purely from a money stand-point.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
The OP may be thinking of this program available to some Veterans. But it is a collaboration of HUD & the VA.

Housing Assistance - Homeless Veterans
I am not sure if that is what I was seeing or thinking of. But the vets I know of, where not homeless, or any real financial difficulties. They came out of the military and had support from families, and are attending school, and just need a place to live.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:34 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I am not sure if that is what I was seeing or thinking of. But the vets I know of, where not homeless, or any real financial difficulties. They came out of the military and had support from families, and are attending school, and just need a place to live.
NY might have a state program or there might be a charity that guarantees it.

I think people are incredulous that you think that ex-cons are deserving of having their housing guaranteed when there are many families that are homeless that didn't commit crimes. No one guarantees their housing. Why would an ex-con be so special that they deserved that?

Old 02-22-2014, 09:46 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
May I respectfully suggest that this be the LAST post of this thread? That will allow it to slip down the list into the bottom of the barrel where it belongs.

(I'd ask the moderator to close it, but in fairness, it hasn't done anything against the TOS. It's just repugnant.)

Old 02-22-2014, 12:32 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
As a landlord, I get applications from veterans and young men just out of the service. They apply like anyone else. They are screened like anyone else. They pay their own rent, just like anyone else. No one is paying their rent for them, and unless they have some sort of real problem with their lives, they don't have any problems obtaining a rental.

I also get too many applicants who have felonies. Very few landlords will accept them, so there are a lot of them out there looking for a rental. Nobody pays their rent for them. They have to pay it themselves.

If you want to buy an apartment building and specialize in felons, OP, then go for it. You will have tenants begging for a chance to rent from you. You could probably charge higher than market rent, but no government is going to be paying the rent for your tenants.

Just a heads up, though. When I turn the felons down more than half of them threaten me. The rest whine about how noting is their fault and it isn't fair. Some of them burst into tears. You can fill a building with felon tenants, but don't expect them to all behave like upstanding and sane people.

Also, if you would like to have a tenant pool all to yourself, where all the tenants have to go to you, then buy yourself a building and accept pitbulls.

Old 02-22-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
May I respectfully suggest that this be the LAST post of this thread? That will allow it to slip down the list into the bottom of the barrel where it belongs.

(I'd ask the moderator to close it, but in fairness, it hasn't done anything against the TOS. It's just repugnant.)
I have already stated my reasons. If it is not enough, them I am sorry.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:28 PM

541 posts, read 860,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
70% of the people I know are former military. One of my tenants is former navy. Seems pretty normal to me. Courteous, tidy, nice, polite has rent on time. Who the hell wants that?
LOL! A Veteran would seem like an excellent tenant to me. As for a former murderer/felon, well, that isn't even comparable!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Just a heads up, though. When I turn the felons down more than half of them threaten me. The rest whine about how noting is their fault and it isn't fair. Some of them burst into tears. You can fill a building with felon tenants, but don't expect them to all behave like upstanding and sane people.

Also, if you would like to have a tenant pool all to yourself, where all the tenants have to go to you, then buy yourself a building and accept pitbulls.
Very good advice!

Old 02-23-2014, 03:44 PM

6,815 posts, read 11,531,564 times
I cannot believe the ignorance of the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate