Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 09:45 PM

47 posts, read 202,668 times

Advertisements

How about a lively debate on the potential for a National MLS. Good? Bad? Also, while we are at it, where do people come up with the idea that now they do'nt need RE agents because all of the home information is right there on the Internet? Do they forget who goes out there and takes pictures, virtual tours, measures the rooms, gets the plat maps from the courthouse, utility information, CCR's ets. etc. etc.and then puts it all on the internet for them??? ALLLLLL that great information does'nt just walk up to the www and knock to be let in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 09:57 PM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Bryan,
Anyone in favor of a national MLS should start a National Listing service.
No problem.
I think you will see more and more dispersion of MLS data, and more companies strengthening their internal listing capabilities as the DOJ persecutes us.
Gotta have a fall-back position.

To replace local MLS's with National MLS's is an odd idea, I would say. Rules and laws vary widely between different regions within states, and from state to state.
Any national MLS would have to be a lowest common denominator to be acceptable in all 50 states, i would think.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:02 PM

10,964 posts, read 21,980,652 times
A difficult prospect to say the least. I think probably statewide MLS would be easier but I think that currently local is more practical. I know agents that aren't even experts in their whole local market. I can't imagine they should have access to even statewide data where they might try to represent someone in an area they didn't know.

The local MLS help keep agents local where they belong. I couldn't honestly in good faith represent a buyer in another area of my state so I don't really need access there.

Old 12-02-2007, 11:29 PM

403 posts, read 1,170,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanN View Post
How about a lively debate on the potential for a National MLS. Good? Bad? Also, while we are at it, where do people come up with the idea that now they do'nt need RE agents because all of the home information is right there on the Internet? Do they forget who goes out there and takes pictures, virtual tours, measures the rooms, gets the plat maps from the courthouse, utility information, CCR's ets. etc. etc.and then puts it all on the internet for them??? ALLLLLL that great information does'nt just walk up to the www and knock to be let in.
LOL!! Actually, Bryan I forgot that we did that!

To answer your question, my understanding is that MLS's have been consolidating into larger entities, although perhaps not in my location or yours. Within states, it's easier because there is only one controlling jurisdiction to contend with.

Personally, I wouldn't oppose it, especially if it occurs over a manageable and absorbale time period but I would worry that it would become a juge target for the cabal of the anti-trust crowd.

What I would really prefer to see (and think could be far easier to implement) would be an agent-only side to realtor.com that would allow me to do at least some modicum of useful research into geographic areas outside that of my local MLS.

By the way, I've got the over/under before the trolls join in at 7½.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:27 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,599,672 times
I'm a member of regional group, Mid-Florida MLS. We have data for 21 of the 67 Florida counties. The annual dues are a little less and in four years, the application itself has grown to be very useful as far as tools, maps, charts and such. They recently implemented MLS Wireless which allows me to lookup properties in realtime. No more, "what about that one?" when I'm showing property. Since I can lookup the property from my cell, I recently canceled my laptop aircard subscription, saving more $$s.

However, there is no way I can be an expert in a city or county 200 miles away from my SOI, so I question its' usefulness. I suppose it's good for brokers with several offices in different cities to have consolidated data.

Florida has also created a mini MLS called Advantage. For the participating boards, I can lookup property around the state and see many more details. I think there are more non-participating than participating boards, though. IMO, our existing IDX is definitely antiquated.

Last edited by TampaKaren; 12-03-2007 at 08:00 AM..

Old 12-03-2007, 07:36 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,725,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Young View Post
LOL!! Actually, Bryan I forgot that we did that!

To answer your question, my understanding is that MLS's have been consolidating into larger entities, although perhaps not in my location or yours. Within states, it's easier because there is only one controlling jurisdiction to contend with.

Personally, I wouldn't oppose it, especially if it occurs over a manageable and absorbale time period but I would worry that it would become a juge target for the cabal of the anti-trust crowd.

What I would really prefer to see (and think could be far easier to implement) would be an agent-only side to realtor.com that would allow me to do at least some modicum of useful research into geographic areas outside that of my local MLS.

By the way, I've got the over/under before the trolls join in at 7½.
Eric you keep referring to certain posters as "trolls". Would you please specifically list all the posters who you consider trolls? thanks

Old 12-03-2007, 09:35 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,936,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Young View Post
It's not quite what you were looking for, but try this.
The folks over at Internet Crusade (a company that focuses on all aspects of the internet as it pertains specifically to Real Estate) have put together this compilation of MLS data from across the country. It's not agent only, so anyone with an interest should feel free to go check it out. It allows you to search through any of the publicly available MLS sites. Please bear in mind that this is not purporting to be a complete list of homes for sale in the USA. It's simply a compilation of date from those MLSs that have opted to publish thier inventory to the general public. And, as it's relatively new, it's possible, even likely, that some public sites have not yet been added here.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:52 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
One of the problems I see with an idea like this is - Legalities

Every state has different laws regarding licensures, disclosures, subdivision laws etc -

For a National MLS to work, IMO, agents would have to be in a position of representating properties in states where they are not licensed to do so. That won't work.

Nor, would a "national license" work - as property laws vary so greatly from state to state

Old 12-03-2007, 11:49 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,430,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Nor, would a "national license" work - as property laws vary so greatly from state to state
I think this is the main objective of the DOJ in the DOJ vs. NAR battle. One there is a national license established, there will be a tax on the transaction.

A National MLS exists in a way on realtor.com & in Point2's NLS.

A MLS is an agreement to share information, and to cooperate in a real estate transaction.

There is a reason that "Real Estate is local," what may come is MLS of choice, like Board/Association of choice.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:19 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
I think this is the main objective of the DOJ in the DOJ vs. NAR battle. One there is a national license established, there will be a tax on the transaction.
Let me make sure we are on the same page: IMO, a "national license" cannot, and should not, happen

The ONLY way a "national license" could in the slightest way even be considered is, if there was complete uniformity of all states real property laws (and all laws ancilary to those laws) - and that, IMHO, will never happen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate