Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 10:25 AM

23 posts, read 34,028 times

Advertisements

Is it possible for a forgeiner to buy a house in USA using cash. I was in indonesia for a meeting and my counterpart there, asked this question. He applied for immigration through his family but waiting period is 5 years. He wants to invest here and maintain the house as a rental property until he moves here. Sounds like a good plan but is it legal and what are the tax implications?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 10:45 AM

17,670 posts, read 29,556,070 times
Yes.
PRC Chinese do it all the time.
Chinese To Spend Billions On American Real Estate - Forbes

Old 02-25-2014, 10:54 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,699,908 times
Yes you can do it. I don't believe there are any tax implications until you sell, and the title company will hold back money, I believe 10%. Each state will probably be different as some do/don't have state taxes. You need to research the specific state you want to buy in.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:38 AM

4,712 posts, read 5,916,006 times
I believe there is also a way to invest in a US business and you can get an expedited green card.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:56 AM

7,467 posts, read 13,462,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Yes you can do it. I don't believe there are any tax implications until you sell, and the title company will hold back money, I believe 10%. Each state will probably be different as some do/don't have state taxes. You need to research the specific state you want to buy in.
What about taxes during ownership ??
--Local and/or state Property taxes
--Federal and State Income taxes

Old 02-25-2014, 12:25 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,763,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
I believe there is also a way to invest in a US business and you can get an expedited green card.
Are you thinking about EB-5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangPro View Post
tax implications?
If you have income you need to file and pay taxes, he can apply for a TIN.

If some cases foreigners can even get mortgages. Lending varies by state.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:25 PM

32,487 posts, read 47,436,183 times
Yes, it is done all the time. He can hire a property management company to manage it as a rental.

He will have to file US income tax forms for the rent money. That can also be hired so he doesn't have to deal with it. There won't be much if any tax due, because he gets to deduct all expenses plus depreciation.

I do not know if he can take the standard deduction, since he is not a US resident. His tax accountant/ preparer will know the answer to that question.

He can come over here on a tourist visa to pick out the house and sign all the paperwork. There is no residency requirement to own real estate.

If he is buying on the West coast, an escrow company handles the paperwork and the title insurance. On the East coast, he would hire a real estate lawyer to do that for him.

A good real estate agent will guide him through the process.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:32 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,763,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There won't be much if any tax due, because he gets to deduct all expenses plus depreciation.
Hopefully there would be a lot of taxes due, that means he is making money. . In areas where there is a high value on the land, there is less depreciation, so you end up paying more in taxes.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:57 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,721,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
This is true. There are, of course, some conditions and such (you have to employ a certain number of people, you have to show you have a business history, etc)

Old 02-25-2014, 04:58 PM

166 posts, read 409,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
If some cases foreigners can even get mortgages. Lending varies by state.
Still pretty difficult; also will need to apply for SSN and also establish somesort of credit history too.

EB-5 requires ALOT of capital. Immigration is all too wise about people who think they can sidestep and dance with the system to obtain npr, green card and visa etc. Purchasing property doesn't give you an automatic right to be able to stay. Even if someone does VWP and is caught staying 1 day over the allowed time, they can be barred from entry for 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate