Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 09:18 AM

4 posts, read 7,773 times

Advertisements

Hi all - we live in a lovely ranch-style home built in 1999 that's over 4,000 square feet, 5 bedrooms, 4 full baths (one jack and jill) nicely updated kitchen, great hardwood and tile mixed throughout with carpeting in bedrooms and lower level.

My issue is that the master bathroom is obnoxiously small. It has a GIGANTIC jet tub that takes up a quarter of the floor space and a 31" by 34" shower stall. Double sinks and toilet. As we will not live our lives out in this home forever, any changes I make to it need to have resale in mind.

It also does not have a space designated as an office. There are 2 bedrooms on the main floor with the other 3 down on the completely finished and high ceilinged lower level. The staircase to that level is open and wide.

My dream is to remodel the master bath to contain at LEAST a decent sized shower - and I'm leaning towards the newer lower profile tub/shower bases where there could be a shallow tub available in the master without requiring a separate tub fixture to take up precious space. The master bedroom is almost too big, but as this is a home built with the styrofoam/concrete outer walls, moving windows to rearrange layout would be prohibitively expensive. I can move one interior wall a bit as the window is not actually centered on the bedroom wall, but that would be it. And the doorway into the MBR is pretty much set in stone. The second bedroom directly across the hall from the master is currently our office, but as obviously a bedroom (has a private full bath and walk-in closet) its layout and door opening are not conducive for being a permanent office. (we can't fit a standard sized desk through the door!) Our home would not be attractive to a young family anyway that would need/want a small child upstairs next to the MBR because of the huge open staircase, so I want to turn that 2nd bedroom into an official office - leaving the downstairs for all the other bedrooms.

Resale wise I'm not sure if this is a smart move. I'm kicking myself for being so enchanted with all the wood in the home and not scrutinizing the layout of the MBR.

I got a bid a couple years ago to only change the MBATH and it was $25,000.00 roughly. That would be higher now but not horribly so.

I would appreciate and cherish ANY suggestions you as a community would have! Currently our market here in Sioux Falls, SD is not great, but we're not looking to move any time soon. I just want to have my poor husband more comfortable in a larger shower and give him access to a closet (he's currently using the one across the hall from the bedroom) And seeing THAT any buyers would have issues with as well! (we saw the house empty....)

Pam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 09:42 AM

492 posts, read 633,228 times
In your area, would a 4 bedroom 3.5 bath sell for as much as a 5 bedroom 4 bath?

You could turn the upstairs guest room into a real office, with frenchdoor entrance. And though I don't know the layout of the house I'm wagering the plumbing of the guest and master bath back up to each other, so you could combine that space and come out with a powder room and bigger master bath/master closet.

I can't imagine anyone wanting a shallow tub in the master. And I definitely think a shower over tub in the master is not a plus. Though I personally skip over houses with no separate soaking tubs in the master, there are plenty of folks that would give up a tub entirely for a big steam/rainshower/multi head type of shower.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:32 AM

15,482 posts, read 40,169,343 times
You need to chat with the agent you worked with, assuming you liked your buyer agent. Out here removing the tub and putting in a double shower wouldn't hurt resale at all, but I don't know if that is true for your area. Out here people would rather have extra closet space in the bath, then the tub.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:03 AM

First off - oddly enough the layout of the baths is NOT back to back - so both bathrooms are stand alone. I've been toying with the idea though of changing the bath to a powder (so the office has it still) and using the smaller space from the tub to open into the master as a second closet for the master. It would not be much more than a small walk-in closet, but it would still be extra closet space. And yes - was thinking french doors.

As for the agent I used - he is rated top here and is an idiot. Would never use him again - young upstart and put NO effort into our search - we are not new to house hunting and had a VERY specific set of items that were must-haves. We are the typical executive moving around the country. My husband actually had to call him and tell them they had one more chance to show me homes (I was there to househunt and was flying out in a few days) as they were marching me through DOZENS of homes that did NOT have ANY relevance to what we had requested. He told him they had to trim the list down to only 6 homes that actually had what we were looking for. This is a smallish area in the country - probably not too many options of homes to look at. One day he actually pawned me off on another realtor mid-way through one long day and the poor guy had NO idea what I wanted. So I here I was back at square one. The first day of looking he told me to go find myself lunch and come back so we could continue the hunt after he got some paperwork done. Mind you - I had NO idea where I was! I wasn't a local looking to upgrade! I was from thousands of miles away! Did I say that he is the top rated realtor in this area?????

Pam

Old 03-01-2014, 11:41 AM

13,436 posts, read 15,328,406 times
Have that same issue...our home is 5,000 sq ft., 5/3.5 and while our master bedroom is 18 x 25, our master bathroom is only 9 x 13. Everything is arranged kind of plainly as well. Adjacent to it is my 200 sq ft closet. Contemplating adding the closet to the bathroom and turning my husbands closet into a joint closet. I'm on the fence about it because it seems like a big cost and I really don't stay in the bathroom that much to overly care about it. However, this house is strange in that my MBath is pathetically sized, along with my laundry room.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:23 PM

15,482 posts, read 40,169,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spgreenfield View Post
First off - oddly enough the layout of the baths is NOT back to back - so both bathrooms are stand alone. I've been toying with the idea though of changing the bath to a powder (so the office has it still) and using the smaller space from the tub to open into the master as a second closet for the master. It would not be much more than a small walk-in closet, but it would still be extra closet space. And yes - was thinking french doors.

As for the agent I used - he is rated top here and is an idiot. Would never use him again - young upstart and put NO effort into our search - we are not new to house hunting and had a VERY specific set of items that were must-haves. We are the typical executive moving around the country. My husband actually had to call him and tell them they had one more chance to show me homes (I was there to househunt and was flying out in a few days) as they were marching me through DOZENS of homes that did NOT have ANY relevance to what we had requested. He told him they had to trim the list down to only 6 homes that actually had what we were looking for. This is a smallish area in the country - probably not too many options of homes to look at. One day he actually pawned me off on another realtor mid-way through one long day and the poor guy had NO idea what I wanted. So I here I was back at square one. The first day of looking he told me to go find myself lunch and come back so we could continue the hunt after he got some paperwork done. Mind you - I had NO idea where I was! I wasn't a local looking to upgrade! I was from thousands of miles away! Did I say that he is the top rated realtor in this area?????

Pam
Ah...well that idea is gone. Can you ask around and find a good agent that other people think are good for a consult? You aren't going to sell now, but you will in the future since you move so much. There has to be someone who isn't "top rated" but knows what they are doing. I just popped on Zillow and there are some agents on there with decent sales and some reviews. Maybe start with one of them?

Old 03-01-2014, 12:46 PM

I've been doing just that for a while, but we were in an unemployed status where putting that kind of $$$ into a home. He may have enough of a job for the income to allow for an investment - so at this point I'll start looking for an agent seriously. I have one waiting in the wings. How on zillow do you see the track record of agents?

Old 03-01-2014, 02:47 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,542,802 times
We have a similar situation in master bedroom/bathroom sizes. It was the times. And a full hottub in the bathroom was top notch then.

A thought. If you take out the second bedroom bathroom, will you still have a bathroom for dinner guests?

Also, what age group is mostly in your area? If you see retired people buying your home, it is not uncommon for retirees to make sure they have what they want on one floor...and also have an upstairs or downstairs for less frequent trips up and down and for overnight friends and family. And maybe a first floor bedroom for the older friends. That would mean a second full bathroom.

We have toyed with a few ideas ourselves but it seems overwhelming and we're so busy so it falls by the wayside. Maybe you can extrapolate from our thoughts for your own benefit. We do have a large closet beside the bath...so that's one thought although we don't know what's in the wall between. We have contemplated switching the hottub for an attractive bath...maybe even clawfoot...but not the feel of so much space taken up.

If we could move the commode we would extend the shower through the commode area.

But then...where to put the commode.

You might shrink your bathtub for the appearance of more space.

And then put in up-to-date cabinets.

You seem to have also already considered that older people might not be so interested in the traditional tub with the higher sides. That's a valid idea.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:10 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,679,312 times
I suggest you start touring homes, new and old, in similar size and price range, in your area. Note how long these stay on the market. You will gain information on what sells, what is desirable, and how to enhance your home for the market. You have the right idea but also need to avoid solving one problem only to create another one.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:51 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,927,461 times
Leave the second bedroom as a bedroom. People have different needs with office space. I grew up in ranches with walkout basements. Dad always had his office in the basement. I live in a colonial and have my office in the greatroom....the center of my universe! I could have it in the English basement, 2nd or third floors - but that would not be my preference.

Is your basement a walkout?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate