Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 12:44 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,479,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
I've had a couple of sellers who provided that information. One OCD seller, left behind 2 file boxes full of binders full of information. Useful stuff like the receipt for concrete used on the patio.

The other only left behind 6, 3 inch binders. Oh and 5 CD's full of data including the CAD drawings for the house which the seller designed and built.
You have met my husband?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 01:00 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,592,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
I've had a couple of sellers who provided that information. One OCD seller, left behind 2 file boxes full of binders full of information. Useful stuff like the receipt for concrete used on the patio.

The other only left behind 6, 3 inch binders. Oh and 5 CD's full of data including the CAD drawings for the house which the seller designed and built.
This is indeed over the top.

Maybe leaving a receipt or two for upgrades still under warranty along with instruction manuals. Would a warranty transfer to the new owner, say for a service done or an appliance?

Old 03-03-2014, 01:48 PM

15,508 posts, read 40,220,478 times
A binder with information and such is always appreciated by buyers. It is a nice thing to do for the new owners.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:31 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,062,225 times
I'd be more than happy to walk someone around the house and be like here's this this and that. I'd also be more than happy to leave extra furnace filters, tiles, basically stuff I have no use for which they may. That said I'd be hesitant to put anything in writing, probably opens you up to liability if you say oh this such and such is kinda funny sometimes you gotta do this maybe they try to say later youknew about a problem you didn't officially disclose on the mortage papers. I hate to say it but these days being a nice guy comes back to bit you an awful lot

Old 03-03-2014, 02:34 PM

9,918 posts, read 23,042,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Would a warranty transfer to the new owner, say for a service done or an appliance?
That depends on the conditions specifically stated in the warranty. Some transfer, some don't.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:39 PM

14,200 posts, read 14,574,865 times
My last two homes were new so I had all the original product manuals which I left. I left touchup paint with name and stock#, some extra pieces of the hardwood floors, some extra tiles.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:56 PM

4,522 posts, read 3,718,366 times
Our seller left a box filled with manuals for every appliance in the house right down to the ceiling fans, along with service call receipts. There are extra tiles for the floor and labelled paint cans for each room. They left a county pamphlet for garbage pick up schedules and recycling rules in the box. We really appreciated the thoughtfulness and it didn't surprise us, as the house was as neat and orderly as the box when we moved in.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:22 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,513,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Does a seller ever provide the buyer with a "house manual?" What I'm envisioning is a list of information that would probably be useful to a new buyer, instructions on non-obvious stuff, some service providers, etc. Examples (some specific to my house)
  • location of well and buried pipe junctions
  • septic location, service company, pumping history
  • using remote control lighting (I have an extensive system of programmable exterior floodlights, their use would not be easy to just figure out)
  • contact info for remodelers, contractors
  • location of drainage outlets (some gutter drains are buried. The outlets are hidden but need to be cleaned yearly)
  • typical exterior maintainable cycle (gutter cleaning, etc)
If I had known this stuff when I bought it would have made my life a lot easier.

Also - I have a small stock of stuff like replacement tiles and paint (for touch-ups). Should that be kept or disposed of cause it's "old clutter"?

It seems like this would be a common practice by a thoughtful seller, but I've never heard of it. Comments welcome, thanks.
I left a 3 ring binder (as KWW noted) behind containing all the manuals of the applicances in the house. Paint & leftover tile stayed too.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:33 PM

244 posts, read 665,105 times
I have thought about doing something similar for the plants we put in, since we rent and don't have the stuff for the actual house. Something along the lines of, "the mandevilla grows from the bottom, so cut of the dead part in the fall" or "the lantana doesn't need to be trimmed back in the winter".

Old 03-03-2014, 04:00 PM

13,389 posts, read 6,382,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
I'd be more than happy to walk someone around the house and be like here's this this and that. I'd also be more than happy to leave extra furnace filters, tiles, basically stuff I have no use for which they may. That said I'd be hesitant to put anything in writing, probably opens you up to liability if you say oh this such and such is kinda funny sometimes you gotta do this maybe they try to say later youknew about a problem you didn't officially disclose on the mortage papers. I hate to say it but these days being a nice guy comes back to bit you an awful lot
I hear you. I was concerned about that just having a meeting with them, especially as my husband has a tendency to over share and can sometimes frame things more negatively than needed lol. Like complaining how much he has spent to clear snow on our very long driveway.

Also, as the dollars added up when they kept asking how much it costs to do certain things. I kicked my husband under the table a few times as it was.

Our closing is in two weeks and I haven't given them the write up yet. Most of it is simply factual recommendations for home maintenance that they could find if they looked it up themselves and also stuff the home inspector already told them.

So they were told by us and the home inspector if they don't clean the gutters and make sure they are nailed tight by checking periodically as well as keep the basement stairwell drain free of debris they will have water coming in the house. In writing, I just said clean gutters twice per year, inspect periodically to ensure they are tight to house and keep basement drain free of debris. You can call this person if you don't want to do it and this is how much they charged us.

I didn't editorialize or address minors quirks. Our contract is as is with no disclosures so I'm not too worried about it. I may run it by our attorney before I give it to them.

The fact is they will have to replace the roof, the AC and the oil burner. They are all working but near the end of useful life. Whether its the day after they move in or 2-5 years from now, I cant know. They were told the age of everything, repairs done and had a qualified inspector tell them what that meant.

I'm more concerned they want our new number lol. I don't plan on telling them how to program the thermostat every year or like above listening to them complain they have water in the basement if they didn't keep the drain and gutters clean. My husbands idea is give them the number one digit off lol.

They also mentioned our address so they can send us mail. Uh no thanks just give it back to PO and they will forward it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate