U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 04:32 PM

5,706 posts, read 6,944,100 times

Advertisements

I've always left extra paint and tiles, and all manuals for the important stuff (furnace, water heater, built-in appliances). When we sold our first house I spent considerable time identifying all of the landscaping plants and how to care for them(when to prune, when they flowered, etc.). The new owner pulled up a lot of the expensive landscaping (and it was not overgrown--only 5 years old). That was the last time I did that.

Owners manuals, maybe a few receipts from septic cleaning and fireplace cleaning will be all I leave next time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 04:45 PM

1,611 posts, read 2,796,419 times
When I sold a house last year, I left a thank you note with some things I thought the buyer (single mom) might want to be aware of. I told her where the water shutoff valve was, how often I changed the air filters and where the dates were written down, I left the thermostat manual, and I left all of the paint can labels in case she wanted to do some touch-up painting. I think doing something like that makes the new owner feel like you actually took care of the place. I have moved into two houses and had the feeling that the previous owners didn't take care of them when I actually got a close look.

I like to make things simple for myself and others. In my new house, I'm writing all of the circuit breaker switch numbers on the outside of the door, and I'm writing down which switches affect what outlets as I replace light fixtures and stuff. The circuit breaker at my old house would just say stuff like "#9- Lights" and there would be 4 or 5 of them that said that. My new house circuit breaker says, "#9- kitchen sink light, dining room light, entry light", etc.

Old 03-03-2014, 04:52 PM

5,895 posts, read 6,649,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
I'm more concerned they want our new number lol.
The person I purchased my place from gave this to me at the closing. I never called, never took advantage of it. A little too intrusive for my style.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:03 PM

1,611 posts, read 2,796,419 times
I wouldn't really want a buyer to have my phone number because I don't plan on talking to them anymore. I left a forwarding address for any mail or packages that accidentally showed up, and I think I left my email address, which is easy to ignore if they bug me.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:07 PM

3,162 posts, read 2,678,358 times
Thumbs up I had t blue version of the blueprints framed with anti-UV glass, inexpensive wall art and a handy reference all in one.

I can understand the reluctance to leave a "house manual" with notes like "basement floods if you don't clean the gutters every fall", or the like.

OTOH, I found one light switch that didn't do anything, would have been nice to know why it was there. About a year after moving in, I took the cover plate off -- no wires to that switch! I found out why it was there when I went to Home Depot and tried to find a nice white metal cover plate for a 2-gang outlet box with a single lightswitch on one side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Our seller left a box filled with manuals for every appliance in the house right down to the ceiling fans, along with service call receipts. There are extra tiles for the floor and labelled paint cans for each room. They left a county pamphlet for garbage pick up schedules and recycling rules in the box.
Same here. Binder with manuals, the town trash/recycling guide, and labeled paint cans.

They also left a CD with PDFs of some of the same manuals, as well as floor plans (in an obscure Windows-95-only format), and about six pages of blueprints, including the septic plan. One set in 'blue' and one in B&W.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:20 PM

341 posts, read 646,645 times
Sold my Moms house as an estate sale after she passed away, strange thing was the people next door purchased it and sold their original home.

They declined a home inspection, paid close to apraised value.

I went over the house after closing and answered several phone calls after closing but after 4 trips there to instruct them on how to maintiin the pool I had to tell them they needed to hire a pool guy.

Funny thing is the people who purchased their home next door did some basic renovations to it, I like it better than my Moms old home because it is not a corner lot.

It's nice to be nice but you do not want to make a job out of it

Old 03-03-2014, 10:22 PM

16,128 posts, read 17,034,531 times
I helped a buddy with a flip and I told him to keep all the owners manuals of every appliance or fixture in the house, warranty cards, drawn out plans of completed work with legend of locations of shut off valves AND all services in the area.
He later told me the new owners were ecstatic to get all that info.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:43 PM

2,127 posts, read 4,354,659 times
I did this with a house I sold in 2010. I left a stack of all the manuals and also a printed list of other things I thought they should know about the house, and since they were from out of town, some local businesses of various kinds that I had had good experiences with. They sent flowers to my new address thanking me!

Old 03-03-2014, 11:08 PM

295 posts, read 446,359 times
I REALLY wish the sellers of our house would have had the courtesy to leave us with names of gardeners, contacts for home improvements, manuals, etc.

I found a box with manuals from appliances that were no longer there, hidden in the cabinets above the refrigerator. Sellers probably had no idea it was there. The previous sellers before them also had left receipts for things like the retractable awnings they put in, cabinets in garage, who they contacted for appliances. I even found a couple of letters written from some of the kids in the area to the first owners of the house, welcoming them to the neighborhood, which I thought was really sweet. I wish I had bought the house from those people, rather than the ones who didn't bother to leave things like a fireplace key so we could turn on the fireplace.

We are renting out our house in FL, and I made sure to leave them with all owners manuals, garage door openers, etc. I also left them the local phone book and a binder with menus from local restaurants.

Old 03-04-2014, 03:45 PM

1,538 posts, read 1,570,847 times
When we bought our house last year, the previous owner DID provide this huge binder with information much like you described. We were moving from one state to another, and so they also included all their local favorite restaurants, information about all the neighbors, where to go shopping, ect. It was hysterical! Our house was built in 1960 and we bought from the original owner so it was a highly emotional sale for them, which is why I think they handled the sale like "the changing of the guard". I have provided appliances manuals and various warranties in the homes I've sold in the past, but nothing like the Home Bible we got.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or