Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 07:11 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,949,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
I couldn't tell you about something that old as we don't have houses that old around here (I'm in Austin). 2 bedrooms will sell fairly easily close to downtown, but most other places, it's a huge negative. Land that is bigger than .20 will also sell pretty quickly in most areas in my market. People would see how they could add on.
+1. I have a home outside Houston and I hate the fact that we don't have any beautiful historical houses in this area as they do all over the East Coast. The homes here are only old enough to be dated, tacky looking multigenerational termite domiciles complete with deluxe avocado appliances
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 07:41 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,169,294 times
I see some homes listed as "2 BR + den" when that third room has no closet. If someone wants to USE it as a bedroom, they can buy an armoire for it.

Frankly, as an older single woman, I just don't need a lot of room and there must be tons of retirees who feel the same way. At some point you just don't feel like cleaning a bunch of rooms you use once in a blue moon. And the taste for huge homes is disappearing with younger people who have smaller families are want to live with a smaller footprint.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:58 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,385,183 times
the city would not let me build a two bedroom due to value and property tax income

Old 03-07-2014, 11:07 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,486,655 times
Thanks guys. All this is a huge help

Old 03-08-2014, 05:49 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
How large and what is the location of the bedooms without closets? And what is their second egress...window size.

Forget about closets. You're selling a historic home where armoires were used. Second egress in event of fire is important though.

Is your historic home considered just another ordinary home lumped in with modern one levels where you are?
Yes!
You might chat with local agents or the town.
It is common to overlook the lack of closets in historic homes, and it may be quite legit to advertise it as a 3 bedroom. Local rules rule.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:43 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,054,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
I own a 2 bedroom home (technically) since only 2 of the rooms have closets. Does anyone know how the market is for sale of these homes. I live in a great town in CT, it sits on just under an acre of land, completely remodeled (1200 SF) and is 2/2. However, if I do plan to sell I am scared the age of the home (1848) and the fact that it is a two bedroom might deter people. In all reallty it could be more than 2 bedrooms. It is perfect for an elderly couple (all one level) or young couple. Just seeing if anyone has knowledge, or experience, with 2 bedroom homes.
Quote:
One bedroom is upstairs and is currently being used as a bedroom with a queen bed in it. The other bedroom is downstairs (first floor) and is currently my office. Windows are all updated and legal.
"All one level"? But one bedroom is upstairs?

Quote:
There is [room for another bedroom] esp in my office downstairs. There was a closet (you can still see the old layout on the floor). We also added a walk in closet in the master bedroom which is unusual in for such an old house. I agree the busy street and next door will hurt a little but homes on the same street have been selling like hotcakes which is nice. Plus I bought my house for cheap since it was in bad shape so some sweat equity doesn't hurt either.
But you said your office WAS the 2nd bedroom (in another post that I quoted above), which made it sound like it was one of the 2 rooms that already HAVE closets and can therefore be officially called "bedrooms." Now you say you could MAKE it into a bedroom. I am very confused by all these contradictions.

Is there a THIRD ROOM that could be made into a THIRD BEDROOM? You say in your first post "in all reality it could be more than 2 bedrooms," but then when someone asked you about it, you mentioned the 2nd bedroom/currently your office could be made into a bedroom. But you already CALLED it a bedroom, one of the 2 you have.

Am I really the only one who's confused?

(BTW, as for the age of the house, that wouldn't be a minus where I live -- lots of old houses in New Hampshire!!)

Old 03-08-2014, 08:29 AM

374 posts, read 491,836 times
I love older homes, and have owned a few. To me they have much more character and history that make them standout.

At one time, one of the older historical homes I owned was on a busier road, with a large parking lot next door. I think that is why it didn't sell for awhile. When I went to sell it was the feature I missed so much. The street was always plowed first as it was a main, the extra parking was wonderful for parties etc and the neighbor that owned it the very best. When storms happened and everyone else was stuck on their street I never was as it needed plowed and the parking lot needed plowed so that was always taken care of .

Last edited by AngelWingDesigns; 03-08-2014 at 08:45 AM..

Old 03-08-2014, 09:23 PM

501 posts, read 1,049,861 times
Well it really depends on your specific market. I would venture to say, that in general, 2 bedroom homes will sell slower than 3+ bedroom homes. In San Antonio, they sit on the market for a fair amount longer than homes with more rooms. That being said, I am still looking to buy one in a historical district. Talk to a knowledgeable agent in your market and I am sure they can provide you with a more precise answer.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:59 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,054,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshardin View Post
Well it really depends on your specific market. I would venture to say, that in general, 2 bedroom homes will sell slower than 3+ bedroom homes. In San Antonio, they sit on the market for a fair amount longer than homes with more rooms. That being said, I am still looking to buy one in a historical district. Talk to a knowledgeable agent in your market and I am sure they can provide you with a more precise answer.
Although if the "bedroom" he is using as an office really DOESN'T have a closet, then his house is a 1-bedroom (or that's what it would be called here). I wish he would answer the questions I posted a couple of posts ago -- he contradicted himself on a few things (unintentionally I assume -- I've done that before when I haven't been as clear as I should have been!).

Old 03-09-2014, 05:20 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,486,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Although if the "bedroom" he is using as an office really DOESN'T have a closet, then his house is a 1-bedroom (or that's what it would be called here). I wish he would answer the questions I posted a couple of posts ago -- he contradicted himself on a few things (unintentionally I assume -- I've done that before when I haven't been as clear as I should have been!).
Sorry I should have been more clear. The house does have an upstairs. Upstairs has the master bedroom with walk in closet, a second bedroom with no closet and a full bath. Downstairs has office (no closet, but could have one built in), and a room we are using as a den with a closet.

What I meant by one level was its good for an elderly couple because the first floor has laundry, no stairs to get in and out of the house and a possible bedroom downstairs.

So I guess I would consider it a 2 bedroom with possibility to expand to 3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate