Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 04:25 PM

1 posts, read 5,983 times

Advertisements

The landowner got into a dispute with us and we haven't been on greatest terms. The other day she said someone was coming in to check if "the house had termites". A man did come and took photographs of the home and stated it was for "insurance" purposes. Of course, we thought this was strange, so we googled our address and found that the property was listed for sale. Unfortunately, we didn't agree to have our personal belonging posted to the internet, I have been reading that this cannot happen without the consent of the tenants. What action would you recommend I take? Not only did she lie about who was coming to our house, she had the man lie to us about the photographs and then posted them online without permission. So, has anything similar happened to anyone? I understand that it is her property and it really isn't a big deal that she is selling it, but it is upsetting that our privacy was invaded and we were lied to about the purpose of this mans visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 04:42 PM

34,091 posts, read 82,438,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by answermyquestionplease View Post
The landowner...
I understand that it is her property...
If the "landowner" is also the "houseowner" they can do pretty much any reasonable thing they like.

hth

Old 03-08-2014, 06:06 PM

8,539 posts, read 12,259,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by answermyquestionplease View Post
What action would you recommend I take?
Do you have a lease? If not, start looking for another place to live.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:10 PM

6,391 posts, read 10,181,986 times
Agreed,

The "landowner" can market the property as they wish and owes you no explanation. I am assuming you are renting/leasing the home. For what its worth, in most circumstances a new owner would either have to honor a current lease or make arrangements with you directly.

Did they go inside the house and take pictures ??

You have no recourse against the owner in my honest opinion.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:13 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,025,835 times
With proper notice (according to state law), a landlord may enter a rental property for the purposes of inspection, repair, or other reason, including taking pictures.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:20 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,694,168 times
Your lease probably states something about what would happen when they wanted to sell. If you didn't want personal belongings in pictures, you should have negotiated that upfront before signing the lease.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:41 PM

508 posts, read 660,077 times
The landlord is in the wrong, ethically if not legally. However there is likely little you can do about it. Check your lease, but there's probably a generic paragraph in there. I would move as soon as your lease expires, though. Unless you meet and really like the new owner...

I feel for you. We have had an awful time with the landlady's MOTHER in our current location. She likes to do things like walk into the house with no prior notice. I mean, as in USING HER KEY to just come in. We are also at cross purposes with her now after I very politely asked her to stop doing that the last time she did it. Needless to say, we will be out of here as soon as the lease expires.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:58 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,545,559 times
There are tenants rights by state. Look them up.

See what your lease says about showing the property. Of course, the landlord might show it when you're away.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:16 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,737,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
There are tenants rights by state. Look them up.

See what your lease says about showing the property. Of course, the landlord might show it when you're away.
That's what I was thinking! -- There must be a serious breach between the landlord and tenant, in order for the landlord to 'secretly' try to sell the house out from under the tenant with no notice or any arrangement to show the house or even keep it presentably clean and ready to show. My guess is that eviction proceedings are not far away.

Come on OP, 'fess-up' -- What else is going on here that you didn't mention? ..... Are you on a month-to-month lease? Have you repeatedly been late in making payments? Is 'not being on the best of terms' code for something much more serious? Is your lease renewal overdue? Have you seriously damaged the property or failed to maintain the house or yard? Has the landlord asked you to do something regarding the property (don't smoke inside, keep pets outside, keep junk cars out of the yard, limit the number of people living there, etc), that you have refused to do?

--- As presented, this 'totally surprised and innocent scenario' doesn't seem entirely credible.

Last edited by jghorton; 03-08-2014 at 07:31 PM..

Old 03-08-2014, 11:24 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,389,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojj View Post
The landlord is in the wrong, ethically if not legally. However there is likely little you can do about it. Check your lease, but there's probably a generic paragraph in there. I would move as soon as your lease expires, though. Unless you meet and really like the new owner...

I feel for you. We have had an awful time with the landlady's MOTHER in our current location. She likes to do things like walk into the house with no prior notice. I mean, as in USING HER KEY to just come in. We are also at cross purposes with her now after I very politely asked her to stop doing that the last time she did it. Needless to say, we will be out of here as soon as the lease expires.
Wow, and I want to change the locks on the rental for safety, I would read her the riot act no matter how old. Someone should reminder her that she could be mistaken as an intruder, and people do own guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate