Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 11:56 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passion4mb View Post
I am not trying to judge anyone, just looking for why a single woman would want all the work of a house?.......
Possibly it is because she is not too lazy to do all the work of a house. Maybe she likes to garden. Maybe she dislikes stairs. Maybe she is tired of sharing walls with rude neighbors. Maybe she wants to get out of the city.

I don't know her, which makes it difficult to guess why, so why don't you ask her yourself?

I do have a question for you, though. Why do you think that everyone else should think like you do and only want what you want?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 04:22 PM

532 posts, read 958,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Possibly it is because she is not too lazy to do all the work of a house. Maybe she likes to garden. Maybe she dislikes stairs. Maybe she is tired of sharing walls with rude neighbors. Maybe she wants to get out of the city.

I don't know her, which makes it difficult to guess why, so why don't you ask her yourself?

I do have a question for you, though. Why do you think that everyone else should think like you do and only want what you want?
Wow -- why so angry? I'm not putting anyone down for living how they want. Just asking a question.

BTW: I am asking for myself, I asked myself that question, but since I didn't know the answer, I came here.

Here is why I enjoy high-rise living.....

I don't have kids or pets so don't need a backyard, I do have a balcony which I use here and there. I don't garden and am not an outside person, so again no need for a backyard.

Actually am lucky and never hear my neighbors next to me, I do hear them at times in the hallway or over me, but it is part of living in a high-rise, so I accept that.

I like the ease of getting something fixed, I don't have to be home, and usually it is done the day I call.

Is high-rise living perfect? Of course not, but it fits me. I also feel safer being up higher.

I have enjoyed reading MOST of the responses and I thank you.

Again, I am curious.

<<<I do have a question for you, though. Why do you think that everyone else should think like you do and only want what you want?>>>

I don't recall saying any such thing, OBVIOUSLY I do not think that way and IF I gave that impression, I am sorry.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:27 PM

198 posts, read 273,786 times
Smile Re: Housing

I don't know why a single woman would want a free-standing house either, but I have had friends who did own their own homes...and loved it! Personally, as a single woman, I owned a townhouse. All the outside work was done for me.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:35 PM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Why would a single man want all the work of owning a house?

Old 03-11-2014, 05:14 PM

9,070 posts, read 6,300,219 times
Highrises and houses alike are built by construction companies. The act of building these structures is subject to both human error and cutting corners relating to the quality building materials. Building collapse is admittedly a rare event but think of it this way. If a house has a structural deficiency and collapses on you, you stand a much better chance of survival than if you are 20 stories high and the building collapses around you.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:42 PM

297 posts, read 766,500 times
I'm a single woman and I bought a house. I live in the San Francisco area and I really didnt enjoy living in the city, not only that but I dont want to be in a high rise when an earthquake hits, most buildings wont collapse, but they roll on the ball bearings they are built on, so you get seasick from the rolling. I'm an HGTV/DIY network junkie and was super excited to buy a fixer upper to do most of the work myself. I'm an accountant by day and I actually enjoy a little bit of manual labor-its highly satisfying to do something yourself and see the results every day (however fixing clogged plumbing was not fun). I'm not crazy about mowing the little bit of lawn i have, but i'm looking forward to landscaping my small backyard and adding lemon trees and planting a small vegetable garden. I also have a large family that does not live near me, so i'm excited to be able to host visitors.

I lived in apartments for 20 years, and i'm over shared walls, noisy neighbors, sharing laundry facilities, parking issues, having to deal with other people's clogged toilet flooding my bathroom etc. Some day when i'm tired of maintaining the house and yard, i can see myself buying a townhouse, but probably never a condo where someone is above and/or below me, out of maybe 8 apartments, i had problems with neighbors at probably 7 of them.

Now I live in a very safe neighborhood, but just for peace of mind and so i dont jump at every weird sound, i got a simple alarm system that i turn on only at night that will sound if any window or door is opened. Also my house is 2 story with the living area on the top floor so its feels safer to be up above street level.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:33 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I never want to share walls. I might feel differently if things were constructed better but in my experience shared walls = doom. And I REALLY hate the fad of putting in wood floors in mutli story buildings. Every cheaply built rehabbed apartment building advertises this as if it a good thing. I mean, it's a guaranteed complaint about your upstairs neighbors right there. People are so short sighted and, dare I say, stupid.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:40 PM

9,070 posts, read 6,300,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotionallyexpensive View Post
But you can't beat my current building! Walls (literally) three feet thick of concrete and plaster. Someone could be murdered next door or upstairs and I would never hear a sound.
You are very lucky, the vast majority of multi-family housing does not have such great walls.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:02 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
There is a significant difference between the construction of many high-rise apartments --- and condos. For one thing, people who are paying as much for a condo as a home, will not tolerate excessive wall/ceiling noise or a lack of privacy.

Condos also require significantly less individual maintenance, repairs and less hassle to get those things done ... than SF homes. Resales, location and regulation of otherwise troublesome neighbors are also better in condos. We moved to the 'condos' in 2002 and are currently in our third one (retired now) ... and will probably stay with condos.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:39 PM

532 posts, read 958,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitteagirl View Post
I don't know why a single woman would want a free-standing house either, but I have had friends who did own their own homes...and loved it! Personally, as a single woman, I owned a townhouse. All the outside work was done for me.
Thank you for your post. I can understand a townhouse (had one for a year), the outside maintenance is all done for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate