Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 06:16 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,617,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen59 View Post
Not literally everybody--but enough that I am prepared for it. yes, unprovoked! yes, we all watch home improvement shows, me included. I think people are much too fussy on them. My kitchen is inelegant, however, but it is functional!

the bathroom is 70's era--mauve and pink with a big scallop shell shaped sink. I am getting used to that big shell shaped sink--it is kind of easy to clean.

The kitchen also has a scallop shell trim to everything, which makes it look old-fashioned. it was also pink and mauve! Now it is painted.

I do love my house.

I guess my serious question is: if you had limited money, would you rather buy a modern 2-bed condo, or a big house in town, that had old-looking perhaps ugly and small but functional and well built kitchen/ bathroom, knowing it is not in your budget to remodel? Everything else is fixed, say. A fully modern house is well out of your budget.
I'd go the route you are going. I don't know why so many people hate old kitchens. I think some of them have more character than modern kitchens. I'd much rather have a house than a condo. I don't even open kitchens or eat-in kitchens, I'd much rather have a separate kitchen and a breakfast nook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 07:25 PM

466 posts, read 640,817 times
So we were in a similar situation to you with our first house, except we WANTED to tear down the wall between the kitchen and the dining area to remodel the kitchen into a larger, open space. Which we did. And loved.

When the time came to sell, it didn't help us one bit. Yes, some people liked the kitchen, but our taste isn't the standard taste in the neighborhood, and the house had other issues that made it difficult to sell.

Remodeling was still the right decision for us because we loved what we did with it and were able to enjoy it for many years. Point is, do you what you like and can afford. Worry about selling when the time comes to sell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate