Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 08:27 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,018,004 times

Advertisements

Unless there are literally stains like a murder scene and/or areas completely worn through by someone in an electric wheel chair you should probably get the stuff professionally clean AND offer buyers an "allowance" for new flooring. The most effective way to "market" the value of the allowance is with a realistic flyer & quotes from a local floor-coverings store that does show what buyers could get in terms of new hardwoods / tile /carpet.

If you are in area with LOTS of competition AND lots of first time or naive buyers you might feel compelled to get new carpet but rarely is that the smartest way to handle this -- cheap beige carpet allows shows as "quick fix" and most people will assume you are trying to hide something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 08:43 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,632,754 times
Well, now that the old "flooring allowance" has come up, this was covered not too long ago in this thread:

Flooring Allowance or Replace

You don't want buyers to see a negative the minute they walk in your house. Regardless of the flooring allowance, bad carpet immediately drops your value in their minds.

Just make it all look nice and new, or else discount it to reflect to condition of the floors, because that is what buyers will do.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:00 PM

501 posts, read 1,458,040 times
In theory an allowance allowing the new owners the opportunity to choose their own flooring sounds like a good idea. However, if someone walks in and sees the carpeting in the poor condition that you make it out to be some (many?) are going to wonder if you allowed the carpet to get in that poor of condition what else have you let go. I am not saying you have and other deferred maintenance items I am just saying that is what some will wonder. Just my thought.....

Old 03-12-2014, 09:22 PM

5,586 posts, read 8,359,196 times
First impression is important and dirty, stained carpet is sure a turnoff. I'm one of those people who has a hard time looking past that stuff. I appreciate a house that's nicely staged because I feel the owners really care about the home. How much is the allowance v. what it would cost to replace the carpet? What's the price range of the house, what's your competition like, etc.? Yes, generic builder-grade beige carpet can be a turnoff too, but at least it makes a better impression than dirty carpet.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:45 PM

16,061 posts, read 26,657,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Offer the buyers the advantage of a flooring allowance toward their choice of floor covering. Hit all the bases of all the potential buyers ... carpet, wood or tile.
Ditto, but I have to say some things you can't get past. Ours were stained from spills, makeup whatever. I have gone into houses that smell like pets! That is a huge turnoff no matter how much money you are giving mr.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:29 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 5 days ago)

43,081 posts, read 76,631,641 times
Replace it, if you can afford to.

If offering an allowance, cut your price also.
Buyer earns compensation by taking on a chore that you declined to do.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:45 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,968,193 times
We replaced our carpet before we listed it, but our carpet was awful. We had so much of it, that I think it would have been hard to look past. We took the advice of everyone, and put fresh light colored carpet in, even though that would not have been my first choice. We did sell our house, but it took time.

If I had found poor quality carpet in the house we ultimately bought, I would have wanted a carpeting allowance, but if the carpet had been really bad, I would have been more vigilant about inspections. To me, crummy carpet says poor maintenance, as in, not enough money to maintain the home.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:22 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 5 days ago)

43,081 posts, read 76,631,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
We replaced our carpet before we listed it, but our carpet was awful. We had so much of it, that I think it would have been hard to look past. We took the advice of everyone, and put fresh light colored carpet in, even though that would not have been my first choice. We did sell our house, but it took time.

If I had found poor quality carpet in the house we ultimately bought, I would have wanted a carpeting allowance, but if the carpet had been really bad, I would have been more vigilant about inspections. To me, crummy carpet says poor maintenance, as in, not enough money to maintain the home.
Right. Something that obvious is often a symptom of general neglect.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:38 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,721,252 times
I am also one of those people who would rather see nice clean carpet than to be told I would get a discount to allow me to replace the dirty one. It would make me think the rest of the house was similarly not cared for very well.

Put mid grade, neutral colored carpeting in, something that blends well and doesn't make the prospective buyer hate it immediately.

Don

Old 03-13-2014, 07:05 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,962,032 times
Replace it. Buyers can't look past it. I recently had a listing with awful carpet. Some buyers didn't get past the entryway before leaving. It sat on the market 2 months last spring which was the hottest market we've had in a while.

Not everyone has the cash to immediately buy new flooring, and it's very difficult these days to get credits towards anything if the buyer is taking a loan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate