Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 04:58 PM

548 posts, read 816,306 times

Advertisements

breeinmo:

Well, both violent and property crimes have declined significantly over the last 20 years, in pretty much all regions of the country. In some metro areas, violent crimes are down to levels not seen since the 1960s. Television *coverage* of crimes has continued to steadily increase, however, even as actual crime goes down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 05:04 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I've bought and sold houses many times. In my most recent home search, we looked at a house that had signs posted around the house that said, "No photographs allowed." Furthermore, this house had security cameras mounted in most rooms, so we knew we were possibly being watched.

I generally snap a few cellphone pictures of houses that we feel interested in, so we found it off-putting to find signs banning photography, and creepy to feel watched.

What are some possible reasons for someone trying to sell a house to prohibit a prospective buyer from taking some pictures? I'd never previously encountered that in the hundreds of homes we've looked at through the years.
As long as you are on public property (i.e. the street) when you are taking the photo, there is no way anyone can prevent you from taking a picture of their house. As long as you aren't trying to make money off of the pictures that you are taking of someone else's property, they don't have anything to say about it. Actually, the photos of the house are a matter of public record since county assessors take photos of houses every day of the week and they appear on tax records for the general public's information.

I used to take pictures of houses for a living, and I can tell you that this is the law. The man has nothing to say about people taking photos of his house from the street.

Anyway, I wouldn't buy his house because he would undoubtely make the process unbearable.

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-22-2014, 05:38 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerkyandPunctual View Post
I've never bothered myself with the notes that sellers leave at the property. I leave my shoes on (I will cover them if the seller provides the shoe covers) and I take photos of room sizes and flow. We are frequently viewing homes in a short time period due to cross country moves and my husband and I are not both there. Photos help trigger memories when we're discussing the properties in the evenings and at the realtor's office.

It's just a business transaction. I don't give a hoot about the seller's possessions and honestly, I don't really care about their preferences or demands for viewing. The only thing that really matters to me is what happens during offer and contract negotiations.

And I've never come across a realtor that had an issue with my methods.

I don't really know why someone would put demands on the part of the potential buyer. Seems counter productive at best, to me. I have found that the more demands/notes/request that a seller puts out there, they really are not detached from the home and don't see selling the property as the business transaction that it is. It's an emotional process for them and that comes with so much baggage.

I have a feeling you would be the one with demands about NO photo taking if it were your house. Most people are courteous and respectful of the seller's property. In all my years as a Realtor, I've never had anyone take photos of the interior of a seller's home. Nor, did anyone ever have the nerve to ask. If they want photos of the interior, I would gladly send them a photo from the MLS listing sheet which is public. No more, no less. Only since the MLS went online have people been able to view interior pictures of homes. When the MLS was in book form only, a buyer could request a 2nd or even 3rd showing to refresh their memories.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:50 PM

494 posts, read 849,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neguy99 View Post
>That's a lot to ask to sell your home

As a seller, you're asking someone to give you typically several years' of their income to make a hugely risky and illiquid investment. It's usually considered reasonable when selling a used car that costs 50-100x less to let a prospective buyer take it for a test drive (what if they kidnap you!?!) or even take it to their mechanic for an inspection. If one small business were buying another small business, they'd be entirely within reason to want to see "private" financial data, inspect the facility carefully, etc.

P&P is exactly right that this is, at the core, a business transaction. A seller doesn't want *your* home. They want a house. One of the many houses for sale. One that they can imagine as *their* home and for which they feel extremely confident about its suitability and reliability . When you make it feel more like trying to buy "your home" vs just a house, you're not making it easier for buyers.
This. X 100

My wife and I are currently searching for a house. We are doing it from out of state. Sometimes only one of us can go. When that happens we take pictures and video as the MLS pictures don't always give you a good feel for the house. We then look at the pics together. I've honestly never asked if I can take pictures and have never had an agent stop me. If a seller insisted I couldn't take pictures, then we wouldn't buy the house. They would probably be a pain to deal with throughout the whole process anyway.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:53 PM

548 posts, read 816,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
In all my years as a Realtor, I've never had anyone take photos of the interior of a seller's home. .
I won't question you on that, but I will just note that I've seen plenty of other people taking photos at the open houses I've attended this spring. More often with camera phones than the DSLR+flash that I have, but I'm not the only one, not at all. Our buyers agent found it entirely unremarkable, and I've had exactly one seller's agent sort of question it vs a three or four seller's agents remark that it seems like a smart thing to do.

From former computer work I have a number of younger and tech-inclined (30-ish) friends in Boston and NYC, and taking photos is absolutely the norm for then. For one thing, couples can split up and get to more showings (important in markets where things are selling in days), or only one might be free to see a new listing right away while the other is stuck at work. They can exchange photos while still on the go and make quick decisions.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neguy99 View Post
I won't question you on that, but I will just note that I've seen plenty of other people taking photos at the open houses I've attended this spring. More often with camera phones than the DSLR+flash that I have, but I'm not the only one, not at all. Our buyers agent found it entirely unremarkable, and I've had exactly one seller's agent sort of question it vs a three or four seller's agents remark that it seems like a smart thing to do.

From former computer work I have a number of younger and tech-inclined (30-ish) friends in Boston and NYC, and taking photos is absolutely the norm for then. For one thing, couples can split up and get to more showings (important in markets where things are selling in days), or only one might be free to see a new listing right away while the other is stuck at work. They can exchange photos while still on the go and make quick decisions.

I hear you. But I believe it takes a lot of nerve to take photos of the interior of someone's home without permission. A lot of my business was with corporate relocation buyers, and normally the husband would come out to preview homes and narrow it down for 3 or 4 days of hard looking. Then the company sends out both parties for 3 or 4 days to make the decision.

Maybe some of the agents you're working with are reticent to speak up and discourage photo taking, or maybe they are just dumb, inexperienced, and afraid to lose a sale. MLS photos should be enough to exclude most houses once you have taken notes, have the disclosure form required by law, and the full details of location, price, and condition. If the home is vacant, that is totally a different story.

I don't watch HGTV House Hunters program anymore, it's not realistic; it's all staged. But you don't see experienced or even first time buyers taking photos do you.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
I hear you. But I believe it takes a lot of nerve to take photos of the interior of someone's home without permission. A lot of my business was with corporate relocation buyers, and normally the husband would come out to preview homes and narrow it down for 3 or 4 days of hard looking. Then the company sends out both parties for 3 or 4 days to make the decision.

Maybe some of the agents you're working with are reticent to speak up and discourage photo taking, or maybe they are just dumb, inexperienced, and afraid to lose a sale. MLS photos should be enough to exclude most houses once you have taken notes, have the disclosure form required by law, and the full details of location, price, and condition. If the home is vacant, that is totally a different story.

I don't watch HGTV House Hunters program anymore, it's not realistic; it's all staged. But you don't see experienced or even first time buyers taking photos do you.
You don't see it on House Hunters because 1) they have usually already picked a house and the other 2 houses are just brought in for the show and 2) they are being followed around by A CAMERA CREW.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguy17 View Post
You don't see it on House Hunters because 1) they have usually already picked a house and the other 2 houses are just brought in for the show and 2) they are being followed around by A CAMERA CREW.

I know that, a few of our offices here in the Asheville area have been selected for the show. Those buyers are the "real" buyers and the final 3 homes on the show are what the buyers narrowed their search to after looking at many others. It's the phoney "script" of how they speak about the house and their negatives ... like A $300K house for a first time buyer, and the wife whines about the color of the walls, or that she has to have stainless steel, can't live w/o granite countertops, and the best of everything; and omg, that pink bathroom has to go. It's not the real world of buying and selling property. But I digress.

I'm standing by my comment that I've never had anyone ask to take photos of the inside of a seller's property. It's a matter of being respectful of the seller's property; personal and real estate. People bought and sold homes for eons w/o buyers "needing" pictures just because they have a cell phone or iPad and "they can".

Let's hear from some sellers on this topic.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:06 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguy17 View Post
AND they have already pre-arranged to get WRITTEN PERMISSION to film the houses from the sellers. I know, as I have had a house that I had listed on House Hunters. See, there's that pesky word again, PERMISSION.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
AND they have already pre-arranged to get WRITTEN PERMISSION to film the houses from the sellers. I know, as I have had a house that I had listed on House Hunters. See, there's that pesky word again, PERMISSION.
Are you equating taking a few snapshots with filming for national broadcast? Because they aren't really in the same neighborhood.
I've bought and sold houses. I have always been living in a house when it's been shown. It has truly never occurred to me that someone wouldn't want to take pictures. I would have zero problem with it. If you are worried about pictures ending up on the internet or people casing the house I would think your realtor needs to screen who is coming into your house a little better. Plus I think some people have an overinflated sense of their own worth or that of their belongings. Most people do not care about you or your belongings. They just want to find the right house.
If someone expressly prohibited me from taking pictures I probably would respect that, and not go look at the house. Someone that thinks that highly of themselves/their house will likely be a pain to deal with. But am I going to ask permission to snap a few pics for my private use that will be deleted after I'm done with the transaction? No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate