Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2014, 03:11 PM

14 posts, read 31,698 times

Advertisements

I'm having a hard time dealing with this situation:

I get preapproved for a VA loan through one of the major VA lenders. I ask if I can use a grant that's for veteran first time home buyers that I'm eligible for ($5000 free and clear.) I think the only thing the lender has to do is verify the loan and supply escrow account info 2 weeks before closing and the money gets deposited—doesnt need to be payed back and does not put any lien on the loan or home. Again, it's a free and clear grant.

So, after a few days the lender says I cannot use the grant because they wont be able to sell the loan in the secondary market if I use the grant. They offered me $1000 towards closing costs because of my trouble, but it still just doesnt make any sense to me. If I stick with this lender I'm not able to use the $5000 grant but they'll give me $1000 towards closing.

Does anybody have any feedback on this? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 04:51 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
Check with another lender.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:42 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,621,027 times
Do you have mortgage brokers in your area who are very very familiar with the different loans? We have some that have blinders on, are focused on a few slots and that's it. And at least one that's brilliant and creative . You need someone thinking, experienced and engaged.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:46 AM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
You have to find a lender that is willing to hold your loan in their portfolio vs. selling it to Fannie and Freddie. Go to a local lender.

Old 03-22-2014, 12:45 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,323,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by profiler7 View Post
I'm having a hard time dealing with this situation:

I get preapproved for a VA loan through one of the major VA lenders. I ask if I can use a grant that's for veteran first time home buyers that I'm eligible for ($5000 free and clear.) I think the only thing the lender has to do is verify the loan and supply escrow account info 2 weeks before closing and the money gets deposited—doesnt need to be payed back and does not put any lien on the loan or home. Again, it's a free and clear grant.

So, after a few days the lender says I cannot use the grant because they wont be able to sell the loan in the secondary market if I use the grant. They offered me $1000 towards closing costs because of my trouble, but it still just doesnt make any sense to me. If I stick with this lender I'm not able to use the $5000 grant but they'll give me $1000 towards closing.

Does anybody have any feedback on this? Thanks in advance.
Where are you buying? We can try to find a reputable lender who uses the grant program.

Also, are you in contract?

Old 03-22-2014, 07:37 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,621,027 times
Here is the program he's talking about fyi:

Dream Makers - Home - PenFed Foundation

Old 03-23-2014, 05:54 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,985,615 times
Better get your loan from Penfed then.

I've had clients talk about it but no one I know has ever actually gotten the grant.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:42 AM

14 posts, read 31,698 times
A few years ago I dealt with another lender but had issues with them. This time I went with veterans united. All my research leads to them being a pretty stand up company. Even any complaints I've found have been taken care of and any money lost was reimbursed by VU. So there's security there imho. Another thing I like about them is that everything is handled in house (lenders/ underwriting/ etc.) So that's why I'm trying to stick with them.

I've been bugging the crap out of my guy and he let me know that the VU lenders basically say no to the grants because there are so many of them (fed/ state/ county/ ect) and they dont want to get involved with them—that's why they would rather give a lender credit towards closing. They may or may not sell the loan on the secondary market so they avoid problems by avoiding grants all together.

I suppose if I want to stick with them, then I'm not going to get the grant. I haven't found any reviews or success stories for the dream makers grant so I guess I shouldnt be putting all my eggs in that basket either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate