U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-04-2014, 10:43 PM
 
25,905 posts, read 49,920,525 times
Reputation: 19378

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw71 View Post
Valid point.... but I'd also just add that IMO, the "registered sex offender" thing is a bit overblown. In most areas I've seen, an Internet search will turn up at least a few people on that list. (When you don't find any, it's probably a very rural area with very low population to begin with.)

There are a lot of ways a person can find themselves on that list, and some are really pretty unfair, if you ask me. (As one of the more ridiculous examples? When I lived in St. Louis, there were people who found themselves labeled sex offenders simply for public urination during Mardi Gras celebrations.)
Sadly it is true.

This happened to a friend of mine and it cost about $10k in legal fees to fight because he was caught urinating against a tree which he did do... had no idea it could lead to being a sex offender. No one was around except his wife in the car and the cruiser that happened to shine a spotlight just as he was relieving himself.

Heres another one...

My friend just turned 50 last month and his father is a registered sex offender.

The father's crime back in 1963 was getting married... he was 19 and married a 17 year old without her parents permission... they are still married today and have 3 sons and many grandchildren.

When the Sex Offender Law went into effect... he received a certified letter requiring him to come to the police station and register and submit to random home visits by law enforcement.

How can someone live a lifetime and live a good life to the same women and just because she was 6 weeks short of her 18th birthday at the time they married against her parent's wishes now be an old man labled a pedafile plus all the time it takes law enforcement away from going after real crime?

The parents even came around after their first child was born... and the reason they got married is because he was going off to Vietnam and wanted her to have his death benefits should anything happen to him...

This is why you just can't blindly go by everything on face value... plus, you could move into the perfect home and find a real criminal moves in next door a week later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-22-2014, 11:28 AM
 
1 posts, read 911 times
Reputation: 10
Default Horrible real estate experience

We have been looking for a home for over a year. We have felt with several realtors. Our experience is as follows: 1) We are stuck paying over $3000 monthly for nothing, so we can wait for a realtor to decide if we can put in an offer. 2) We have attempted to place two offers, a) the realtor flat out refused to put our offer in stating he "didn't have to give our low ball offer to the seller" and he had "permission from the seller to do so". (it took us 6 months to decide to bid anyway); one realtor took us to see the property, stated he didn't know the realtor listing, and then proceeded to let me know he wanted that home to sell for a good price so his home next door to it would sell as well for a good price. Come to find out both realtors work for a COMPANY, THAT IS THE SAME, except different offices. But they claim not to know each other though they have both been in business over 18-19 years. It took our realtor several days to get us a contract, and when he finally did, it was the wrong one. He actually called my husband and told him he should not deal with a lawyer for closing because it may push the seller away. Of course we didn't listen.
Then when he finally gave us the contract we ask for and gave it to the seller agent, late at night, within just a few minutes, he said the sellers agent told him there was already another offer and the house was under contract!!! Apparently our offer wasn't what either of them wanted, so they sent us a letter stating it was low ball and he didn't have to entertain it. We were not given any opportunity to increase it, not given any chance to do anything, we were just pushed out and lied to. And when we complained, he quickly listed it as off market and waited a while and placed it back on market. For a short time.
Next we looked at a home 3 times, on the third time we were met with a man sitting on the back deck of the pool who held paperwork stating he was the Power of Attorney for the home, which was signed just a few days before that by a lady who had either alzheimers, or parkinsons. She signed the Power of Attorney.
The realtor who list the home also was with the same above company (what are the odds) and I had met him when the above realtors showed me a home and pretended not to know him either.
We proceeded to get excited about the home, put in an offer and immediately were met with "sorry the home has another bid that came in that night and it was "substantially higher than ours" and they wouldn't even entertain our offer, wouldn't put us as backup offer, and wouldn't even take it. The house has never been placed on pending sale, never been sold, and it has been since June 11, 2014 and today is June 21, 2014. When we have realtors ask, the last thing he said about 4 days ago was "oh its under contract and we will put it pending tonight, and still its showing as a "new listing". We even begged them to take our offer and called them on it and they pretended to do so. But nothing and its still for sale. We offered more with the offer. Nothing. Its like they are purposefully trying to keep us from purchasing any of their homes.
We have caught them offering to show the house to other people who ask. What are we suppose to do when it seems we are being shut out purposefully from purchasing a home. Maybe we should sue them for rent we have to pay every month until they allow us to bid and have the chance to purchase a home.
I believe their are nice real estate people and possibly honest ones, but even they are at the mercy of the
bad seed that call themselves realtors. It should be illegal what they do. And to top it all off we actually had a realtor take us aside and tell us that she had homes that she hadn't put on the market yet that she was selling to out of state people, or people on a waiting list. REALLY. That is illegal. We sold our small home with the dream of moving into a better neighborhood. We are in our 50's and stuck in the market of manipulation and dishonesty. And a market that is so marked up by realtors (who got us in this mess in the first place marketing homes at ridiculous prices and selling them and messing up the economy) They are second in line next to the banks who let it happen and took advantage of it.
SO BUYER BEWARE!!!

-Either the seller actually believes the realtors version of what their home is worth, and will sit until
it goes into short sale, or foreclosure....then the realtor or investor for them can buy it anyway and make
more money.
-Or they will just wait until they find a buyer who will pay the money they want and be willing to go over the value of the home and pay the extra cash.
-they specifically want cash buyers so the realtor pushes the buyer to take only cash buyers so the closing is quick and swift. (we know this because they did that to us when we sold our home...we waited for someone who needed to get a loan)
-the realtor can decide to not even give your offer to the seller because he wants more money and you will never be able to find out if he gave it or not. You have to take their word for it. The laws of real estate only protect the realtor, and the seller, not you.
-Its now according to realtors, a sellers market.....until you come up with cash and your in!!
- The homes are not going to appraise for these ridiculous prices and they do not care, they want you to
foot the bill and have no money left to fix the home and start out in the negative.
- And MOST IMPORTANT, it doesn't matter how old the home, how much work it needs, they want full price and they do not want to waiver.
- they tell you your buying the neighborhood and location. Like nothing else matters.

SELLER
-While I am glad you seem to be the winner in all this, there are more losers in the market, who cannot sell their homes because of the ridiculous price placed on their homes and they go into short sale and foreclosure. Who do you think benefits from that.....not you...but your realtor, because they are watching and waiting for you to have to get rid of your home. They have buyers agents go to the courthouse and take your home in sale and then they deed it back to the realtor who forked over the money in the first place for the home. Its a win win for them and you loose out. THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION AND WHAT I FEEL IS HAPPENING. I BELIEVE IN HONESTY NOT TAKING ADVANTAGE OF BUYERS OR SELLERS.

Then they sell the home for lower than they ask you to sell it for. I am honestly asking that you consider what your home is really worth. Be honest, and do not let the real estate world create this false sense of "prices and values going up" by selling homes for more than they are worth. People are having to pay the extra cash, and that does not show up on the Sales list or homes sold, it just shows sold which makes the market look better and creates the illusion of increased market value for the homes based on comps in the area, when it comes time for someone else to buy a home. Banks do not appraise them at that but the false aspect keeps people from getting a home at its real value, and keeps everyone from owning what they deserve and what they dream of. And when you have to purchase, well I am sure that the realtor finds you that special home while he sells yours. Of course, but what if you were to sell your home before you purchase a home? Then you will feel the same way we do.

Again, these statement are just how we feel and based on our experience. We are stuck in this horrible manipulative real estate market and at the mercy of what someone else feels we deserve or will let us buy, not based on what we can afford, but what they want to sell or not sell us.

And I feel sorry for the good realtors who have to deal with the other ones. We strongly feel also that they have to put up, not say anything, so that they don't get shut out as well. They have to work with them. So I do want to thank all the realtors who are actually good and care about their clients and are actually honest. Sellers....well please just be realistic and have a heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2014, 12:46 PM
 
1,516 posts, read 1,771,229 times
Reputation: 3110
When we sold our house last year, we went with a realtor who had sold a large number of properties in our neighborhood. In fact, he sold the house of our friends across the street and had a great reputation. Very honest guy.

To answer the OP about disclosure dishonesty--- We were completely honest and so was our realtor. I remember removing some stuff from our guest closet and noticing very old water stains along the baseboard when we started packing up. This was not noticed during the inspection since our junk was stored in there. I panicked and so did our realtor. So what did we do? I hired a plumber to open the wall to investigate the leakage. The happy outcome was that we discovered nothing after a very thorough inspection. We suspect that it may have been a very old leak from the roof close to when the house was built (new construction and we had the contractor fix many little things 15 years prior including some roof issues). We closed it up and repainted and mentioned this to the buyers. It would have been easy to just have repainted with no investigation but I wanted to make sure we weren't handing the new folks a problem. I'm happy to say that we disclosed every small detail on that house. My conscience is clear.

I'm really glad that we had such a great agent. In fact the buyers of our house had a pretty bad one...flakey. Our agent had to pick up the slack and almost was like a second agent to the buyers. He was really, really good and earned every penny of his commission.

So there are honest folks out there. Lying about stuff usually comes back to bite you in the butt at a later date so I've always have chosen honesty, even if it is painful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2014, 01:13 PM
 
Location: The Berk in Denver, CO USA
13,185 posts, read 18,845,470 times
Reputation: 20599
Default Time for a change

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrybugg View Post
the realtor flat out refused to put our offer in stating he "didn't have to give our low ball offer to the seller"
Did not read past this.
Time to FIRE "your" agent.
Get a new buyer's agent.
Get someone who is at least partially on your side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2014, 01:25 PM
 
265 posts, read 294,070 times
Reputation: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Did not read past this.
Time to FIRE "your" agent.
Get a new buyer's agent.
Get someone who is at least partially on your side.

I don't know... I ATTEMPTED to read this entire post, and based on what I picked up, it seems like they kept getting their offers denied based on what they seem to think of as not "low balls". I'm not sure how you can blame an agent if the seller decides to pick an offer that's "significantly higher than yours" (paraphrasing here).
If this happens more than once (and I think in your post...maybe three times?) - your agent should have sat you down, had a come to Jesus and explained to you why your offers were not working. At the end of the day, it's your own time you're wasting.

I've dealt with buyers before that kept wanted to low ball, regardless of countless CMAs that outlined the fair market value of a property. Ie - this condo is worth $300k. Ok, my buyer wants to offer $230k (in a hot, very competitive sellers' market). It was time to part ways after that. Buyers can think there are some awful agents out there (which I completely agree with) but there are also some ridiculous clients as well. Probably best for both parties to go their separate ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2014, 04:59 PM
 
Location: Barrington
42,130 posts, read 31,888,636 times
Reputation: 14139
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Did not read past this.
Time to FIRE "your" agent.
Get a new buyer's agent.
Get someone who is at least partially on your side.


Generally speaking, the listing agent is required to present all offers unless the seller establishes a minimum and does so in writing. Asset managers, acting on behalf of banks, are more likely to authorize the listing agent not to waste their time with bids below $X.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2014, 08:00 AM
 
Location: MID ATLANTIC
7,614 posts, read 17,708,635 times
Reputation: 8112
Quote:
Originally Posted by kww View Post
curious if other states are similar to virginia, in that they are very buyer beware with very little for the seller to disclose.

I've seen disclosure forms from other states with multiple line items covering various facets of the house/property, but in Virginia, there is very little required to disclose, mainly related to the property itself (historic zone, mining area, preservation, etc)
Not sure if you'll be back, but I have to ask if this applies to 1) known defects and 2) low appraisals since the listing was taken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2014, 12:42 AM
 
3 posts, read 1,874 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by berrybugg View Post
We have been looking for a home for over a year. We have felt with several realtors. Our experience is as follows: 1) We are stuck paying over $3000 monthly for nothing, so we can wait for a realtor to decide if we can put in an offer. 2) We have attempted to place two offers, a) the realtor flat out refused to put our offer in stating he "didn't have to give our low ball offer to the seller" and he had "permission from the seller to do so". (it took us 6 months to decide to bid anyway); one realtor took us to see the property, stated he didn't know the realtor listing, and then proceeded to let me know he wanted that home to sell for a good price so his home next door to it would sell as well for a good price. Come to find out both realtors work for a COMPANY, THAT IS THE SAME, except different offices. But they claim not to know each other though they have both been in business over 18-19 years. It took our realtor several days to get us a contract, and when he finally did, it was the wrong one. He actually called my husband and told him he should not deal with a lawyer for closing because it may push the seller away. Of course we didn't listen.
Then when he finally gave us the contract we ask for and gave it to the seller agent, late at night, within just a few minutes, he said the sellers agent told him there was already another offer and the house was under contract!!! Apparently our offer wasn't what either of them wanted, so they sent us a letter stating it was low ball and he didn't have to entertain it. We were not given any opportunity to increase it, not given any chance to do anything, we were just pushed out and lied to. And when we complained, he quickly listed it as off market and waited a while and placed it back on market. For a short time.
Next we looked at a home 3 times, on the third time we were met with a man sitting on the back deck of the pool who held paperwork stating he was the Power of Attorney for the home, which was signed just a few days before that by a lady who had either alzheimers, or parkinsons. She signed the Power of Attorney.
The realtor who list the home also was with the same above company (what are the odds) and I had met him when the above realtors showed me a home and pretended not to know him either.
We proceeded to get excited about the home, put in an offer and immediately were met with "sorry the home has another bid that came in that night and it was "substantially higher than ours" and they wouldn't even entertain our offer, wouldn't put us as backup offer, and wouldn't even take it. The house has never been placed on pending sale, never been sold, and it has been since June 11, 2014 and today is June 21, 2014. When we have realtors ask, the last thing he said about 4 days ago was "oh its under contract and we will put it pending tonight, and still its showing as a "new listing". We even begged them to take our offer and called them on it and they pretended to do so. But nothing and its still for sale. We offered more with the offer. Nothing. Its like they are purposefully trying to keep us from purchasing any of their homes.
We have caught them offering to show the house to other people who ask. What are we suppose to do when it seems we are being shut out purposefully from purchasing a home. Maybe we should sue them for rent we have to pay every month until they allow us to bid and have the chance to purchase a home.
I believe their are nice real estate people and possibly honest ones, but even they are at the mercy of the
bad seed that call themselves realtors. It should be illegal what they do. And to top it all off we actually had a realtor take us aside and tell us that she had homes that she hadn't put on the market yet that she was selling to out of state people, or people on a waiting list. REALLY. That is illegal. We sold our small home with the dream of moving into a better neighborhood. We are in our 50's and stuck in the market of manipulation and dishonesty. And a market that is so marked up by realtors (who got us in this mess in the first place marketing homes at ridiculous prices and selling them and messing up the economy) They are second in line next to the banks who let it happen and took advantage of it.
SO BUYER BEWARE!!!

-Either the seller actually believes the realtors version of what their home is worth, and will sit until
it goes into short sale, or foreclosure....then the realtor or investor for them can buy it anyway and make
more money.
-Or they will just wait until they find a buyer who will pay the money they want and be willing to go over the value of the home and pay the extra cash.
-they specifically want cash buyers so the realtor pushes the buyer to take only cash buyers so the closing is quick and swift. (we know this because they did that to us when we sold our home...we waited for someone who needed to get a loan)
-the realtor can decide to not even give your offer to the seller because he wants more money and you will never be able to find out if he gave it or not. You have to take their word for it. The laws of real estate only protect the realtor, and the seller, not you.
-Its now according to realtors, a sellers market.....until you come up with cash and your in!!
- The homes are not going to appraise for these ridiculous prices and they do not care, they want you to
foot the bill and have no money left to fix the home and start out in the negative.
- And MOST IMPORTANT, it doesn't matter how old the home, how much work it needs, they want full price and they do not want to waiver.
- they tell you your buying the neighborhood and location. Like nothing else matters.

SELLER
-While I am glad you seem to be the winner in all this, there are more losers in the market, who cannot sell their homes because of the ridiculous price placed on their homes and they go into short sale and foreclosure. Who do you think benefits from that.....not you...but your realtor, because they are watching and waiting for you to have to get rid of your home. They have buyers agents go to the courthouse and take your home in sale and then they deed it back to the realtor who forked over the money in the first place for the home. Its a win win for them and you loose out. THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION AND WHAT I FEEL IS HAPPENING. I BELIEVE IN HONESTY NOT TAKING ADVANTAGE OF BUYERS OR SELLERS.

Then they sell the home for lower than they ask you to sell it for. I am honestly asking that you consider what your home is really worth. Be honest, and do not let the real estate world create this false sense of "prices and values going up" by selling homes for more than they are worth. People are having to pay the extra cash, and that does not show up on the Sales list or homes sold, it just shows sold which makes the market look better and creates the illusion of increased market value for the homes based on comps in the area, when it comes time for someone else to buy a home. Banks do not appraise them at that but the false aspect keeps people from getting a home at its real value, and keeps everyone from owning what they deserve and what they dream of. And when you have to purchase, well I am sure that the realtor finds you that special home while he sells yours. Of course, but what if you were to sell your home before you purchase a home? Then you will feel the same way we do.

Again, these statement are just how we feel and based on our experience. We are stuck in this horrible manipulative real estate market and at the mercy of what someone else feels we deserve or will let us buy, not based on what we can afford, but what they want to sell or not sell us.

And I feel sorry for the good realtors who have to deal with the other ones. We strongly feel also that they have to put up, not say anything, so that they don't get shut out as well. They have to work with them. So I do want to thank all the realtors who are actually good and care about their clients and are actually honest. Sellers....well please just be realistic and have a heart.
How very interesting BerryBugg, as my husband and I are going through the EXACT SAME THING right now!!!! Every house we are interested in we are either being some reason the house is "not for us" or blantantly told is "under contract", something we know to be untrue as we called the listing agent surreptitiously (after being discouraged from our fourth home) only to be told that the house is definitely on the market and NOT under contract!! So clearly this is some kind of new scam going on!!!! Then our agent pushes us towards houses SHE likes that we have zero interest in seeing! WTH is going on????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2014, 12:45 AM
 
3 posts, read 1,874 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Did not read past this.
Time to FIRE "your" agent.
Get a new buyer's agent.
Get someone who is at least partially on your side.
Great to know because my husband and I are currently suffering the EXACT SAME EXPERIENCE as Berry Bugg, as far as being told houses are under contract, only to do some research and find out it's a lie, and being steered away from houses WE like to homes our agent likes!! Looks like we may be onto a new "scam"!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top