U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 11:43 PM

98 posts, read 149,720 times

Advertisements

We thought we did everything right. We take our electronics with us when we leave for showings, we have hidden our jewelry, but we did not hide our son's daily medication. It was in a cabinet in the kitchen in a dark colored bowl. Someone stole it this weekend during a showing. We can narrow it down to about 4 different realtors/clients but can't prove who did it.

I'm LIVID!

They stole about 20 pills, leaving us with only 3 pills.

Should we file a police report? We have been stewing on what to do since Monday. We have not told our realtor (my husband is adamant that she not know, saying there is nothing she can do).

Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 04:33 AM

6,359 posts, read 7,321,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttatheRain View Post
We have not told our realtor (my husband is adamant that she not know, saying there is nothing she can do).
Why would your husband not want to tell your agent? She should know. The least she can do is contact all of the agents who showed the house and inform them about the theft. Any agent showing a house should take all reasonable steps to assure that their clients are not stealing something from a house...and this would be a reminder to them to be watchful, even if it doesn't result in narrowing it down further as to who might have been the culprit in your case.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:09 AM

5,861 posts, read 7,082,141 times
I would file a police report, and I would tell your agent and the local board of Realtors. This person is likely to commit other thefts.

Selling is stressful enough, but there are people out there that use the showings to commit crimes. We had a woman in my area that would call unsuspecting agents to get showings, make offers, etc. to get into houses. She gave a great story about her many adopted children (which she did have and which were removed from her care), an upcoming monetary award from a lawsuit that she would use to buy the property, and all kinds of crazy stuff. About once a year or so she would start over again using a false identity. The local board sent out a mass email to all agents whenever she started up again. Same thing for the pervert that called female agents.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:21 AM

7,598 posts, read 17,614,249 times
I am curious what kind of medicine a child would be taking that someone would want to steal, and while it appears immaterial what it was, it would influence my decision on filing a police report. Some controlled substances cannot be refilled before their time with the insurance company unless a police report is filed.

As a matter of practice, most agents I know working with future sellers provide written instructions regarding rx's, valuables and irreplaceables.

Now as I type this, I think I would file the police report - it's quite possible this has been going on an they have an active investigation. Your agent certainly should know, at least to warn future sellers.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:49 AM

5,048 posts, read 6,392,001 times
With only 3 pills left by now you have somehow made up the missing pills. As SmartMoney alludes to, could you afford it without insurance coverage?

Can you let others go through this? Odd they left just a few for a day or so. What else are they stealing from others that can't get out for more so easily?

Realtors, like everyone else, talk. Not only would I tell the realtor, I'd insist the realtor feel perfectly free to tell other realtors. It may be that "buyer" is going from realtor to realtor in order to get in to homes for drugs. It may be they know who takes certain drugs and arranges to get in to those homes. It may be a lot of that drug family has gone missing from homes. Law enforcement would have an overview on something like that.

Of course, I'd tell the police. I'd tell my neighbors in case they saw something while you were awy.

I wonder why your husband wants to keep something so significant a secret?

Old 04-03-2014, 08:21 AM

4,480 posts, read 7,935,315 times
File a police report, they might already be investigating thefts of pills from other house showings. Your info could help catch this person by narrowing it down to the person who was at all the showings thefts were reported at.

As for investigating it yourself, dont bother.

As for valuables such as pills, jewelry, cash, art, electronics .... etc. Lock it up, dont be a fool. Your letting strangers into your house to roam around unattended. Use common sense.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:25 AM

29,920 posts, read 34,517,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
I am curious what kind of medicine a child would be taking that someone would want to steal, and while it appears immaterial what it was, it would influence my decision on filing a police report. Some controlled substances cannot be refilled before their time with the insurance company unless a police report is filed.
ADHD medicines like Adderall (speed).

I always advise clients to hide their medications. It's the new easy thing to steal.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:13 AM

3,174 posts, read 2,720,497 times
I have mixed feelings about this. Four agents, at least four clients. We're talking about no less than seven innocent people who will be placed under suspicion. Unless the guilty party is caught with those pills, this can never be solved. Since it can't be proven without recovery of the pills, all eight parties will remain suspect forever. I see a lot of collateral damage unless the pool of potential perpetrators can be reduced or other evidence is introduced. Those never falsely accused probably don't have the same reservations. I understand your husband's reticence to tell your agent.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:23 AM

4,480 posts, read 7,935,315 times
No collateral damage, a crime was committed and needs to be investigated. If the police find that out of the 3 burglaries, all 3 were done by real estate agent john. After asking john, the police find that john showed all 3 houses to Mike a buyer. After investigating Mike, he confesses and crime solved.

There is no false accusation. Let the police do their job. Provide them with the facts. Let them figure it out and get another criminal out of "your" neighborhood. Its in everyone's best interest to catch this person, not look the other way.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:33 AM

24,671 posts, read 55,543,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
I have mixed feelings about this. Four agents, at least four clients. We're talking about no less than seven innocent people who will be placed under suspicion. Unless the guilty party is caught with those pills, this can never be solved. Since it can't be proven without recovery of the pills, all eight parties will remain suspect forever. I see a lot of collateral damage unless the pool of potential perpetrators can be reduced or other evidence is introduced. Those never falsely accused probably don't have the same reservations. I understand your husband's reticence to tell your agent.
With all due respect, that's a daft hypothetical dramatization - as though their names are going to be plastered on highway billboards and put onto multiple databases as "persons of interest". It needs to be reported both to the police and to the real estate agents because it's entirely possible, if not most likely, that someone is using open houses/real estate listings solely for the opportunity to steal drugs. If nobody reports it then the person will just keep on doing it, time after time and house after house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate