Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2014, 01:05 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,618,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeig104 View Post
I have been reading this thread with great interest. I had no idea such craziness could happen. I guess I am wondering why the whole deal is off if not done by April 7th? Couldnt you just sign and daughters sign a new contract?

Just from what you have written so far, I am leaning to think that the nasty guy is afraid of you for some reason. Probably feels threatened that a relatively younger person, educated and bright, will either wreak havoc with his "lordship" or discover something he is doing that is wrong or illegal. Just a hunch.

I do understand why you would want to fight for this, and its not like the other condo board members have anything against you or your dad. I just hope an attorney can help, because it would be a shame to make a 90 year old person leave their home.
We have a Residential Contract for Sale and Purchase that has a April 7th deadline for signing; deadline created by me to allow time for all the signatures. One of the sellers, one daughter has "pre-signed" whatever that means, and I've signed off as buyer.

And just minutes ago I got off the phone with the husband of the other seller, the daughter, who promised that he will get his wife to sign her part of the contract as co-seller, and send it in to their lawyers on Monday who will then send it in to the Title Company. So, some success! (IF she does as promised.)

That gives us a couple of weeks to get this condo board approval mess straightened out, because I can manage to get there in person around mid-April. I'm not in Florida, I'm 1200 miles away.

We don't need the Board approval for this stage, which is what was so frustrating. We need a certificate at closing. The one daughter was afraid to sign because she is easily intimidated and the condo board president had persuaded her that even a contract couldn't go in without board (his) approval, which is a lie. The lawyers told me it could.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 01:14 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,774,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I thought only coop boards can reject you..condos have very little power in this regard...at least that is what any attorney here in NYC told me.
That's what I was thinking; and this was a question/issue in the other thread. Perhaps I missed the answer in a later post, but, my guess is that this is a CoOp Board. No Standard Condo HOA Board that I am aware of (Florida, extensive experience) has the authority to actually reject a qualified buyer. Some HOA Boards go through the motions of "approving buyers", but, that is only posturing. Condo Boards can pass provisions for reviewing renters ... or, at least their leases, but, not buyers/owners!

On the other hand, a CoOp is an entirely different animal and may have greater authority in this arena.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:18 PM

895 posts, read 1,133,600 times
I suspect this board "President" wants this condo for HIMSELF or a friend!

Old 04-05-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
That's what I was thinking; and this was a question/issue in the other thread. Perhaps I missed the answer in a later post, but, my guess is that this is a CoOp Board. No Standard Condo HOA Board that I am aware of (Florida, extensive experience) has the authority to actually reject a qualified buyer. Some HOA Boards go through the motions of "approving buyers", but, that is only posturing. Condo Boards can pass provisions for reviewing renters ... or, at least their leases, but, not buyers/owners!

On the other hand, a CoOp is an entirely different animal and may have greater authority in this arena.
Seriously the word Co-op is in none of their documents, only condo. I will try to send you a direct message to the link of the condominium complex.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:49 PM

I found this about laws in Broward County Florida, but this condo is in Palm Beach County:

"Condo and HOA associations are already expected and must comply with prohibitions against discrimination in the terms and conditions, including sale, use or occupancy, of housing.

The new changes really only establish two new requirements for community associations in connection with the screening process (sale and lease approvals):

The association must acknowledge receipt of the application in writing and say whether it is complete or not within 15 days of receipt; and

If the association denies an application, within 45 days it must send a written notice saying why."

Broward Condos & HOAs subject to new screening regulations | Florida Condo & HOA Legal Blog

Old 04-05-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2trvl View Post
I suspect this board "President" wants this condo for HIMSELF or a friend!
Well he does live right above it ----- but he and his wife are only there for a few months in the winter. And my father has lived below them quite amiably for 3 winters in a row.....so this is all quite mysterious. Last night he told one of the sellers on the phone that "I won't approve the daughter, or the father or any member of their family to buy this condo...!!" Like I said, he's either crazy or we are one bad*** family.

Yup, I'm the one with the bangin' beehive.....

Old 04-05-2014, 03:04 PM

73 posts, read 99,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I already have a thread about this as I linked to, but I'm just updating that the board did indeed reject my application for approval to buy a condo in their complex. No reason given. They never called my references or my bank. I have no criminal history. It was a cash purchase and I have more than enough money to cover any future assessments or condo fees.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/real-...plication.html
That doesn't sound right. I'd press them for a reason! Is it even legal to do that?

Old 04-05-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I suspect the same thing. Either he is worried that you won't respect him as King of the Condo or else he is doing something illegal (like "diverting" money to his pocket).
I think that would be Queen Cond........

I should just e-mail the Condo president that image with no note, and just let him wonder....lol Of course, as a lawyer and ex-FBI agent he would probably take it all seriously....

Old 04-05-2014, 03:11 PM

895 posts, read 1,133,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Well he does live right above it ----- but he and his wife are only there for a few months in the winter. And my father has lived below them quite amiably for 3 winters in a row.....so this is all quite mysterious. Last night he told one of the sellers on the phone that "I won't approve the daughter, or the father or any member of their family to buy this condo...!!" Like I said, he's either crazy or we are one bad*** family.

Yup, I'm the one with the bangin' beehive.....
He probably wants it for friends, or again himself, and to use as a rental. Won't he be surprised when he learns he ultimately has no control, and you don't need his approval. Please keep us updated. I hope your dad is not too stressed out by this all. I would hate for all this to affect his health.

Old 04-05-2014, 03:20 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,272,742 times
I found this about Florida Condo Law: By state law, every community is responsible for making sure each condo owner is provided a current copy of the documents. Anyone who misplaced such documents should contact their condo board and request a new copy. To read Florida statutes, you can visit a local public library and request a clerk to provide a copy of the volume containing specifically Florida Statute 718. To get started, in Broward County call 954-357-7444; in Palm Beach County, call 561-233-2600; In Orange County, call 407-835-7323.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate