U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 08:46 PM

4,564 posts, read 4,265,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

Yes, but wasn't Madonna not approved for a condo in New York because the other owners thought her presence would attract too much paparazzi and be a nuisance?
Madonna was trying to buy a co-op, not a condominium. A co-op is a different animal entirely. In a co-op, you're buying shares of stock in a privately held corporation that owns a building, and then you are assigned space in the building. You don't actually own the unit; you own shares in the corporation, which in turn owns the unit. In the case of a corporation when you are trying to buy stock from the owners, the owners can decide who they want to be 'partners' with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 08:46 PM

3,534 posts, read 6,411,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post

But, for your own light reading here is a copy of Florida's statutes regarding HOAs:

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine
Actually, you posted the wrong link. The OP stated that they are buying a condo. Statute 718 applies, not Statute 720.

This is the correct link: Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

Close, but no cigar.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:28 PM

6,183 posts, read 7,550,132 times
I don't like the sound of it. My association would never ask for that kind of information. Nor have I heard of any such thing from anyone I know who lives in one. That sounds very shady to me.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:33 PM

19,682 posts, read 21,756,031 times
Quote:
Actually, since you are purchasing a portion of common real property that you share with other owners, they have every right to request this information. You are becoming a member of an association, not just buying an apartment.

If you have issues with their request you probably should see a lawyer.

But, for your own light reading here is a copy of Florida's statutes regarding HOAs:

So does this mean he can ask for their info? I mean at that point he has the right to know if he is buying a house and his neighbors are deadbeats or criminals. I mean after all someone could become a deadbeat or criminal after he bought in the community?

Old 03-21-2014, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
So does this mean he can ask for their info? I mean at that point he has the right to know if he is buying a house and his neighbors are deadbeats or criminals. I mean after all someone could become a deadbeat or criminal after he bought in the community?
A buyer can request a copy of the Condo Association financials. They cannot request background information of the current owners/occupants unless they pay for such a report from an independent source.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:24 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,267,264 times
I'd never reveal this type of information to a group of total strangers. Co-ops and condos never appealed to me for these and other reasons.

My advice? Buy a small, low maintenance house, and forget these neo-nazis.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:31 PM

SJ, you may not care for condos and co-ops but the OP is entitled to their own opinion.

Old 03-22-2014, 12:37 AM

508 posts, read 564,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
SJ, you may not care for condos and co-ops but the OP is entitled to their own opinion.
And yet the OP is upset by the invasiveness....

I agree with SJ. And we are entitled to our own opinion, and to express them as well. LOL!

Old 03-22-2014, 01:17 AM

10,334 posts, read 8,187,353 times
Quote:
Actually, since you are purchasing a portion of common real property that you share with other owners, they have every right to request this information. You are becoming a member of an association, not just buying an apartment.

If you have issues with their request you probably should see a lawyer.

Thanks for that link. I will certainly read it.

Old 03-22-2014, 01:29 AM

10,334 posts, read 8,187,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
I'd never reveal this type of information to a group of total strangers. Co-ops and condos never appealed to me for these and other reasons.

My advice? Buy a small, low maintenance house, and forget these neo-nazis.
I don't want to get a house until I've lived in Florida for a while. For one thing I love the idea of being able to pay cash and not have a mortgage.

My Dad is very entangled in this because he lived in it and shared it with his late girlfriend, and he has been staying there this winter. He seems to think that every time I have a question or doubt, I am in some way questioning her integrity in buying the condo to begin with. And as I said, he has this (to me) irrational fear of somehow offending the condo homeowner's association.

I think a a few hundred bucks spent on a lawyer to look over the paperwork and explain things to me can't hurt. Hopefully this can be done early in the week. I will simply not tell my Dad I am doing this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or