Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 01:51 PM

21 posts, read 34,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
Do you have an attorney for this transaction? Someone should be reviewing everything to make sure it's all in order and take possession of the keys. Will someone be there to do the walkthrough for you? It's not necessary for you to be there, physically, but somebody should be representing your legal interests.
No, we do not have an attorney. I thought the real estate agent and his broker would represent us, but the agent has started saying several things which are raising a big red flag.

A title company is conducting the closing and I am not sure about the state laws of Arkansas as to whether an attorney will be there.

We have decided we are going to be at the closing and walkthrough after reading the replies on this thread.

A lot of good information and ideas have been presented here. The posters on City-Data are often right on spot.

Thank you for your help and information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
I live in Florida and thru power of attorney had attorney close sale in CT.I wire transferred funds to his escrow account,cost me $20 on day before closing,very simple.As for walk thru we had our daughter do it the morning of closing,completely transparent.
In Ct only attorney can do closing,racket.In Florida a title company.
We sold a house in Salem Ark. and an attorney did closing,not sure if attorney is required in Ark.
Good information. I think this is exactly what we are going to do, in regards to wiring the money the day before closing. When I talk to the title company next week, I will find out the details and what they need for us to do.

It sounds as if your transaction went fairly smooth. Thanks for your help.

Old 04-05-2014, 03:23 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,307,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I'm not sure what the "????" mean. Perhaps this is not related to federal law, but a state law. I do recall it came about after the real estate/mortgage crisis. I do know that in my state every title company required any amount above $10,000 to be wired funds in order to be considered "good" funds. Personal checks are only accepted for small amounts ( a few hundred dollars for last minute changes). Title companies in this area stopped taking money orders--only certified checks.
Interesting. A cashier's check is considered good funds in CA. Hence the question marks.

Old 04-05-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Interesting. A cashier's check is considered good funds in CA. Hence the question marks.
Our real estate agent said we could get a cashier check from the bank and hand carry it to the closing, but we are to the point where we have lost all confidence in his guidance, so we may be able to do the cashier check instead of the wiring.

If a cashier's check is good funds in CA, it may be the same in Arkansas.

I will talk to the title company and see what we need to do.

Old 04-05-2014, 04:11 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,323 times
We hand delivered a bank check to our closing. I don't know if that's the same as a cashier's check though. I don't think it matters as long as it's some kind of "guaranteed" funds. I hope you can get this all sorted out. Moving is stressful enough without a confusing closing.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:10 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafool View Post

I will talk to the title company and see what we need to do.
Probably the wisest thing to do.

DMenscha--I think there had been enough cases of cashier's checks being forged, etc. that Indiana now only allows them up to the $10,000 point. After that it must be wired.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:43 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Even though Miss. is a title-company state, I left about 10 days before closing.on sale of my house. I gave POA to my personal atty and he handled it.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:50 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,933,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafool View Post
Good information. I think this is exactly what we are going to do, in regards to wiring the money the day before closing. When I talk to the title company next week, I will find out the details and what they need for us to do.

It sounds as if your transaction went fairly smooth. Thanks for your help.
The reason for wire transfer is so ALL closing costs are 100 percent correct for closing and walk thru is done day of or before so final signature can be signed on day of closing,if o'k.I would only trust an attorney who is doing closing or title officer.They are only competent parties,no one else.

Last edited by DanBev; 04-05-2014 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: add info

Old 04-05-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
We hand delivered a bank check to our closing. I don't know if that's the same as a cashier's check though. I don't think it matters as long as it's some kind of "guaranteed" funds. I hope you can get this all sorted out. Moving is stressful enough without a confusing closing.
Thank you and bless you for your kind words. Yes, you have that right. We are stressed. It is stressful enough to purchase a home out-of-state and having an incompetent agent is making this transaction very difficult.

Most everyone on this thread has been very kind and helpful. Thank you everyone for all of your comments and advice.

Things are a lot clearer in my mind as to what we need to do since I posted the original post.

There are a lot more details which the agent has muddled, and we are trying to sort through these items, in order to protect our interests.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Probably the wisest thing to do.

DMenscha--I think there had been enough cases of cashier's checks being forged, etc. that Indiana now only allows them up to the $10,000 point. After that it must be wired.
It is a shame that there are dishonest people and this makes things more complicated, expensive and sometimes difficult for the honest people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate