U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 10:22 AM

12,305 posts, read 10,076,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
No, of course it is not. But it IS his job to let us know if anything about the property is in violation of local law. At this point, I have read conflicting information on different websites as to specifically what the law is there.

Yes, his company perhaps did not require it, which is why I have left a message with our realtor asking her to find out who his insurance company was. But it is possible that he put in the pool without informing his ins co. I just don't know yet.
Depending on where you live, a fence may not be the law. His job is building code enforcement. He was hired to inspect your house not your property which are two different things. A fence for a pool may not be part of code enforcement depending on the locale and it certainly is not part of a house.

He may never have informed his insurance company that he had a pool!! You think people run to their agent every time they make a change to their property?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 10:28 AM

12,305 posts, read 10,076,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
I'm not question that part of it. What is bizarre is how they found out about it so quickly. Your insurance provider is not public knowledge, so someone could not have easily tipped them off. I guess it could have been blind luck that some claims adjuster happened to be in the neighborhood and spotted it, but that seems unlikely.
An agent could have driven down the street and saw it. Agent could be next door neighbor. There are many simple ways the insurer found out.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:41 AM

3,754 posts, read 9,544,183 times
If the HOA has requirements for a fence around a pool, why didn't the HOA make the prior owner put up a suitable fence?
How did the pool get installed in the first place (pass a building inspection) if there was no fence?
Was the pool legally installed in the first place?

Old 04-07-2014, 10:45 AM

486 posts, read 615,276 times
Call another insurance company.

I just bought my first home and I used my current auto insurance company for the home insurance. They canceled on me in the middle of escrow after I had already paid for inspection and appraisal. I just called another insurance company and they had no problem insuring my unit.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:55 AM

27,586 posts, read 45,043,307 times
sometimes it helps to clarify by using some marker vs "his"--
these threads can be complicated and using him/his for any designation sounds just like the same person...

I think the OP HAS tried to find out the seller's insurance company w/o much luck
and I wouldn't be surprised if the seller did put in the pool and not notify the ins company

we have neighbor with pool constructed when house was built and there is nothing on the county tax appraisal site to indicate it is there--even though it had to have had a city permit for construction--don't know how it flew under the radar for going on 8 yrs now...

I have considered several times sending a note with Google map photo to show the pool is there==
their house is as large and lot is a little larger than ours and our tax base is higher even though we don't have an in-ground pool...

Old 04-07-2014, 11:12 AM

4,103 posts, read 4,063,113 times
Update:
I spoke with our insurance agent this morning. Even though the letter gave no reason for the cancellation, nor any conditions that would prevent the cancellation, I was told that if we have the fence completed by May 8, our policy will stay in effect. Additionally, she said if I show proof that the project is underway, they will TRY to get us a few days' extension if necessary. Fence guy is confident he can get the materials in and have everything completed by May 8. The only hold up MIGHT be HOA approval, but I'm trying to fast track that.

Taking a deep breath.....

Many of you gave me good points to consider as I continue with this process, so I thank you.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:19 AM

1,716 posts, read 1,495,299 times
Insurance companies are a dime a dozen. Find a new one that is more flexible and move on. End of problem.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:24 PM

3,287 posts, read 4,741,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
From everything I've read online this weekend (when my issue came up) insurance companies won't issue a policy for such a property. Too risky. So I'm very eager to see what our realtor can find out.
I sell homes all the times with pools. Some have complete fencing, some do not (not required in parts outside city). I've never had anyone have an issue with getting insurance.....so your "research" is not correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or