Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 08:35 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,029,885 times

Advertisements

I would never consider Sears for a construction project. I would be happy with Lowes or HD and in fact had HD do a kitchen remodel for me. I picked the materials so that was not an issue. Also, they use local contractors so that too is not an issue. I was very happy with the job overall. had one problem with a sub contractor and was glad I had the power of the HD contract behind me. Plus they operate the typical middleman position where they buy in volume and hence can sell for less to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 11:24 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,266,300 times
I spent a lot of my youth in the construction trades. I would NEVER use a big box store contractor.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:40 AM

6,428 posts, read 10,260,812 times
Don't forget that the big box home improvement stores hire local contractors and don't send their own employees to do the job.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:12 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,162,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrubin View Post
I haven't had HD do a reno, but made a BIG mistake a few years ago by hiring Sears to do a kitchen gut & replace. I expect the same problems would arise with HD. The big box stores contract with bottom-of-the-barrel local trades who can't get jobs on their own (or they would, because they would be paid better). After Sears locked me into a contract (which, it turned out, was way more than I would have paid hiring my own contractor -- live and learn!) they told me both my first AND second choices for the countertop were no longer available. The estimator also told me after the fact that another $2000 was required to bring the electrical up to code -- no mention made in the original contract. The finish work was crappy, and delayed several times.

I'll NEVER hire a BIG BOX outfit to be the general contractor again. The trades will be the employees of the BIG BOX, not you. Subscribe to Angie's List and hire a high-rated general contractor who will work for you.

I would think it would be easier to sue a big box store and have them re-do or get a refund than some local contractor with shallow pockets.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:38 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,781,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
You get what you pay for - I am sorry to say I have to learn this lesson every few years or so.
I've heard too many horror stories with contracting, just because you pay a lot doesn't mean it will be done right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTBWestside View Post
How about Lowe's? Better?
Did you close on your house? There is a "Home" forum you might want to post this question on. Ask around different real estate professional for referrals. If you want one send me a message.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:32 PM

5,697 posts, read 19,108,689 times
I had HD install granite for us. I was warned not to go with them. Go local, everyone said and damn it, if I didn't try. Sigh. I was blown off by several companies. One company quoted me triple the price of HD. Another company didn't return my calls after a month. Another company didn't want to sell me the slab I wanted as it could go for a bigger job. They offered to piece several different slabs for me which meant I would end up with several seams. No thanks. So we went back to HD. I would much rather give a local business my money but I am not going to pay triple for the work and deal with an attitude that they could care less if I walked. Our granite install turned out very nice.

We ran into the same situation when we needed a shed built. Many of the local businesses built horrible sheds with low quality materials. The only decent place I found, the guy had the attitude that he was in high demand (he is actually) and if we wanted his services, we would have to wait. He has many displays but refused to sell them. We inquired in the early spring and he gave us a date of late fall. We went to Lowe's and had our shed built within a month. The man and wife team were wonderful. They ran their own business 50 miles away (which is probably why I didn't know about them) and the woman told me their business increased 10 fold after linking themselves with Lowe's. She said they just didn't have the marketing power on their own and didn't mind working with Lowe's at all. They had it built in a day.

Our neighbor inquired about our shed and said he was going to go with the local guy (the one that gave us the Fall build date) because big box stores were horrible..blah blah. His shed is identical to ours and ended up getting his built in mid december. Much later build date than what he was promised. It took the guy a week. He was there every day until 11 pm banging away. I didn't mind as I work midnights anyway but some of the neighbors weren't too please. Since the schedule was so far behind, it didn't get painted before snowfall. Im sure it will be fine but it sure was one brutal winter. I wouldn't have wanted bare wood exposed to harsh weather without some protection.

Anyway, my point is, not everyone has a lot of choices. I felt we didn't.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:12 AM

134 posts, read 286,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I had HD install granite for us. I was warned not to go with them. Go local, everyone said and damn it, if I didn't try. Sigh. I was blown off by several companies. One company quoted me triple the price of HD. Another company didn't return my calls after a month. Another company didn't want to sell me the slab I wanted as it could go for a bigger job. They offered to piece several different slabs for me which meant I would end up with several seams. No thanks. So we went back to HD. I would much rather give a local business my money but I am not going to pay triple for the work and deal with an attitude that they could care less if I walked. Our granite install turned out very nice.

We ran into the same situation when we needed a shed built. Many of the local businesses built horrible sheds with low quality materials. The only decent place I found, the guy had the attitude that he was in high demand (he is actually) and if we wanted his services, we would have to wait. He has many displays but refused to sell them. We inquired in the early spring and he gave us a date of late fall. We went to Lowe's and had our shed built within a month. The man and wife team were wonderful. They ran their own business 50 miles away (which is probably why I didn't know about them) and the woman told me their business increased 10 fold after linking themselves with Lowe's. She said they just didn't have the marketing power on their own and didn't mind working with Lowe's at all. They had it built in a day.

Our neighbor inquired about our shed and said he was going to go with the local guy (the one that gave us the Fall build date) because big box stores were horrible..blah blah. His shed is identical to ours and ended up getting his built in mid december. Much later build date than what he was promised. It took the guy a week. He was there every day until 11 pm banging away. I didn't mind as I work midnights anyway but some of the neighbors weren't too please. Since the schedule was so far behind, it didn't get painted before snowfall. Im sure it will be fine but it sure was one brutal winter. I wouldn't have wanted bare wood exposed to harsh weather without some protection.

Anyway, my point is, not everyone has a lot of choices. I felt we didn't.
Really good input. Thank you.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:27 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,381,488 times
I had HD do a granite countertop on a rental. They did a great job. I also had carpet installed by them. Great job on that also. The biggest problem is if there is a issue people don't speak up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate