U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 01:00 PM

2 posts, read 2,571 times

Advertisements

We just moved here from SoCal in July. Before we sold our house we had to have the septic inspected. End result, bad leech field, had to be fixed, sold house.
Before buying here in SW Florida that was one thing we didn't want (septic tank) in our new home. The house we bought (built 2006) advertised public sewer. After talking to neighbors and finally checking with the city we found that yes, we DO have a septic tank. We were also told that Florida has no inspection required for selling/buying a home with septic. True or false?
So is there any legal action we can take for false advertising? Or are we just S.O.L. for trusting our realtor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 01:04 PM

8,565 posts, read 9,609,423 times
What did your home inspector state?
Was it mentioned on your property report?
Was it omitted on the survey?

Old 04-08-2014, 02:08 PM

6,976 posts, read 16,437,213 times
And did you not see huge, usually green, circular things in the yard that are a give away it's septic?

What about your inspection time?

Old 04-08-2014, 02:20 PM

4,440 posts, read 7,698,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBH2 View Post
We were also told that Florida has no inspection required for selling/buying a home with septic. True or false?
I dont know, it may not be required in your state, its certainly a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBH2 View Post
So is there any legal action we can take for false advertising? Or are we just S.O.L. for trusting our realtor?
Trust, but verify.

The realtor/seller made an error in the listing. But its certainly your fault for not checking it.

First thing I do on any property is check utilities. Contact the sewer and water to see if there are any liens and payment history to get an idea of usage. If you simply called your sewer dept they would have told you that road has no sewer.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:23 PM

6,957 posts, read 18,197,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
And did you not see huge, usually green, circular things in the yard that are a give away it's septic?

What about your inspection time?
Those are actually fairly recent implementations in septic systems. My system from 1989 does not have risers above the tank.

I also doubt whether any state has a mandatory inspection for septic systems prior to transferring title.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:25 PM

5,830 posts, read 6,381,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
If you simply called your sewer dept they would have told you that road has no sewer.
It's really a buyer's responsibility to check with the sewer authority?

To me, this seems like plain fraud on the part of the seller and OP should consult with a lawyer.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:28 PM

6,067 posts, read 10,152,196 times
I would visit the broker (not just the realtor) of the agency and complain loud and long. You should be able to get compensated for connecting the house to the city sewer (assuming it is possible on your street). If not possible to connect, you should request some compensation before suggesting that you just might sue. They will not want to be sued.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:31 PM

4,440 posts, read 7,698,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
It's really a buyer's responsibility to check with the sewer authority? To me, this seems like plain fraud on the part of the seller and OP should consult with a lawyer.
Yes! Its called due diligence. Due diligence serves to "confirm" all material facts in regards to a sale. Buyer needs to do their own due diligence.

First thing I check out in every house is electricity, water, sewer. The basics.

Heck, even asking to the seller to see the last sewer bill, this issue would have come up.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:37 PM

5,830 posts, read 6,381,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Heck, even asking to the seller to see the last sewer bill, this issue would have come up.
I wouldn't necessarily. The sewer and water aren't even billed separately here.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:41 PM

2,242 posts, read 4,637,988 times
In states I am familiar with septic vs. sewer is an item on the disclosure filled out (and signed) by the seller. Your recourse is with the seller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or