Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 04:50 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,219,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantamount View Post
Ouch! That's kind of harsh. Would you work for free?
It's very harsh and I do often work for free but I tell you, it gets old. I'm a Realtor. The whole intent of this thread is to point out how much of the discussion here is about avoiding commission, reducing commission, switching agents, getting referrals for family members and dozens of other ways of beating us out of our money. The common theme seems to be that we don't deserve what we earn.

There are apparently large numbers of people who have no problems using Realtors with no concern for whether they're going to be paid for their efforts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 05:12 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
It's very harsh and I do often work for free but I tell you, it gets old. I'm a Realtor. The whole intent of this thread is to point out how much of the discussion here is about avoiding commission, reducing commission, switching agents, getting referrals for family members and dozens of other ways of beating us out of our money. The common theme seems to be that we don't deserve what we earn.

There are apparently large numbers of people who have no problems using Realtors with no concern for whether they're going to be paid for their efforts.
"I haven't bothered to read the thread, including this quoted post above, but have you no shame?"

LOL and and to you, Mr. Facetious.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:59 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I'm really confused so clarification is necessary. We bought with cash from someone selling his parents home and closed at the title company for almost nothing compared to having a realtor involved. Use a realtor in what way I wonder? I'm thinking that if there is an answer that it isn't something that would be legal.
Not everyone is willing to do that. Partly because they don't know how, don't want to , too afraid to or simply don't care. Selling/buying a house is emotional. Can you imagine a buyer or seller trying to work out a agreement when the house is not perfect? You gotta be kidding me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutra11 View Post
All you realtors can huff and puff as much as you want, but there's absolutely no justifcation for that 3%!! There has to be a better compensation structure - flat fee or hourly. Just the way the professionals that you are quoting (attorneys and plumbers) charge.

Ok so what happens if you go through a month or two dealing with a realtor and you can't find a house. You still gotta pay him. How is he gonna bill you on the million phone calls EMSIL responses? 15 min per action?
They would have to go with a billable minutes type of billing. And who is to say that he will get paid? While Taking on clients I guarantee you that not every client buys a house. Some are tire kickers. While its usually only a commission based pay it can be negotiated. I personally have no issue with paying the commission if I agreed to enter in a contract. Oh yeah that 6% is also negotiable. And if you really don't like it feel free to as I said DIY.

And no I'm not a realtor.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:09 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,916,596 times
Quote:

After putting a lot of time in this industry and almost a decade on this site, it appears there is a large contingent of former would-be clients seeking absolution for their guilt because they sought either better service or a better deal. What we don't know(and never will) is if the 2nd agent in the picture is offering financial incentives for the switch. If that were known, would opinions be different? The consumer has the right to spend their dollars (and/or time) as they wish. It's the Golden Rule they are conflicted with and karma staring them down.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:11 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
While Taking on clients I guarantee you that not every client buys a house. Some are tire kickers.
That's for sure. I love looking at houses for sale; it's fun. But I get my jollies at open houses; I don't want to waste a realtor's time when it would be much better used working with a client who might actually buy a house.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:07 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,408,664 times
Quote:
I'm a Realtor. The whole intent of this thread is to point out how much of the discussion here is about avoiding commission, reducing commission, switching agents, getting referrals for family members and dozens of other ways of beating us out of our money.
AHA--we've been had! I suspected that upon reading your first post...but I wasn't so sure as the posts kept piling up.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:07 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,241 times
Are you talking about "getting Out" after you have a contract or a deal? if so, then why would you cheat anyone like that? If you are talking about "getting out" from having to USE a realtor, that's different. Its quite simple, don't use one and either do it yourself or select/negotiate a reduced rate. No big thread needed.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:15 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times
Quote:
You guys are missing the point. It's not about avoiding Realtors, it's about not paying them.
Man, your guys sarcasm meters are totally broken right now! It's ok 1insider, I see what you did there,

Old 04-09-2014, 08:16 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,132,655 times
Has no one noticed that the original poster is a Real Estate agent and I got from reading the post that is was sarcastic, tongue in cheek, That there are so many threads on ways to pay the agent Less or write them out after they have shown them a house etc.

This response was posted after reading the first two pages of people not getting it!

Old 04-09-2014, 08:19 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,937,961 times
Quote:
So far in this forum I've read suggestions on how to get rebates, get listing exceptions, get undeserved referrals, switch agents, cancel listings and several other ways to avoid or reduce commission. Have we missed any good tactics for getting out of having to pay Realtors the exorbitant commissions that they seem to think they deserve? No sense having multiple threads on the number one topic (not paying commission) when we can have one comprehensive thread devoted to commission avoidance tactics. Set the people free!
Son't want to pay a real estate agent? Easy. The exact same technique you can use for not paying any other service provider.

Don't avail yourself of their service.

See how simple it is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate