Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 11:32 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times

Advertisements

Who brings little kids and pets to an open house??? I'd never bring a small child or my dog with me to an open house; if a kid broke something or my dog peed on something, I'd be mortified. I don't even bring my dog to my parents' house without asking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 05:58 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Who brings little kids and pets to an open house??? I'd never bring a small child or my dog with me to an open house; if a kid broke something or my dog peed on something, I'd be mortified. I don't even bring my dog to my parents' house without asking.
Here is the definitive CD Real Estate thread on kids making buying decisions for adults, or adults who would decline the "perfect house" if their kids were dissed:
Bringing kids to showings

It was GREAT fun, BTW.

Old 04-26-2014, 07:47 AM

494 posts, read 849,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Here is the definitive CD Real Estate thread on kids making buying decisions for adults, or adults who would decline the "perfect house" if their kids were dissed:
Bringing kids to showings

It was GREAT fun, BTW.
That thread was something else. It was way too long, so I ended up skipping to the end, where somehow it had been turned into a heated discussion on whether it was appropriate to sit on furniture during a showing. Wow.

Old 04-26-2014, 07:51 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguy17 View Post
That thread was something else. It was way too long, so I ended up skipping to the end, where somehow it had been turned into a heated discussion on whether it was appropriate to sit on furniture during a showing. Wow.
It definitely is a "Cliff's Notes" candidate.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:56 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,481,772 times
I used to but I lost interest.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:21 AM

552 posts, read 834,620 times
Why waste the time when you know you wont be buying it.

It would be like going to the dealer and driving cars with no intention of buying. You are wasting people's time who are trying to make a living.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:39 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,829,894 times
Of course, there are exceptions, but, IMO, most Realtors know there are more productive ways to sell a particular house, than showing ten random 'lookers' one Open Houses. The better way is to show one qualified buyer several homes that match their specific criteria -- and sell one.

But, Realtors need to identify and contact 'qualified buyers.' A good way to do that is to conduct Open Houses.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:37 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoma11 View Post
Why waste the time when you know you wont be buying it.

It would be like going to the dealer and driving cars with no intention of buying. You are wasting people's time who are trying to make a living.
I don't see it that way.

If I contact a realtor and arrange an appointment to view a house, that is wasting their time and potentially the seller's time as well. That's wrong IMHO and I would not do that.

If I go to a scheduled, advertised open house as a "lookie loo" that does not constitute "wasting the realtor's time" IMHO. They arranged it. They advertised it. They're going to be in that house from 1-3, 2-4, whatever...whether I take a peek or not. I don't engage the realtors in conversation unless they speak to me first, and even then it's usually just to respond to their greeting. If we're alone in the house and they're chatty, I will chat with them...but if another person shows up, they clear off to talk to that person and I don't follow them or attempt to engage them further. I'm literally just looking.

I also don't go to car lots and test-drive cars for fun. If I'm on a car lot, it's because I'm at least somewhat seriously entertaining the notion of purchasing a car. If a salesperson approaches me, I tell them "I'm just doing some research." If they're not busy and they offer, I do sometimes take a test drive...but only if it's a car I'm actually interested in potentially buying. For example, a couple of years ago I kicked around the idea of buying a new car since my current car had just been paid off and I had "new car envy." I did some research, picked a few makes/models, and went to car lots to look at them in person. I test drove a couple. Wasn't blown away. I decided to hold onto my paid-for car for the time being.

Old 05-02-2014, 06:34 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,723,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Some of them have pretty good food. FREE
Yikes just want you want a bunch of looky lu's coming to an open house for free food.....spilling crap on your carpets....no thanks. No open houses for me.
I've never been one of the nosy neighbors going to an open house and when mine goes on the market...NO open houses, I'm still living there

Old 10-07-2015, 08:28 AM

6,414 posts, read 4,908,175 times
We love to look at open houses. They are more for the realtor to generate leads than to sell. The houses are usually stale or overpriced and the Realtor stages an open house to show the owners they are doing "everything they can" to sell their property. It a good way to spy on your neighbor and it our case to get the feel for an area we may want to move into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate