Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 08:36 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,622,618 times

Advertisements

Actually my tongue in cheek reference to copying both him and the president (whom I got is his wife) could be helpful. Sounds like he may have dementia at some level and his wife might want to monitor his outgoing mail and other things before he gets them in real trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 08:52 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,939,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Ha ! Got home today and found 9 pages of color-printed diatribe relative to my American flag on a small metal pole in my garden area, not facing the street in the proper position according to military protocol. Not mailed, just put in my paper box. Signed by the husband of the President of the HOA (he's not on the Board or any committee whatsoever). Cover letter addressed only to me stating how the flag is erroneously placed. Then 8 pages of "code" with photos from some military website. He signs the letter with the abbreviation of his former rank in the US Army and so forth. There are no rules in the subdivision at all about mini flags etc.

Nuts or normal? Pain in the fanny? too much time on his hands? Dementia?
It sounds like he's a veteran who wants the flag to be displayed correctly when it's displayed. You can ignore him, you can display the flag the way he's been considerate enough to show you it ought to be displayed, and I'm sure you have many other options. Not sure how or why you brought the HOA into the thread at all. It doesn't sound like it has anything to do with the HOA, or that he said anything about the HOA.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:08 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
It sounds like he's a veteran who wants the flag to be displayed correctly when it's displayed. You can ignore him, you can display the flag the way he's been considerate enough to show you it ought to be displayed, and I'm sure you have many other options. Not sure how or why you brought the HOA into the thread at all. It doesn't sound like it has anything to do with the HOA, or that he said anything about the HOA.

You obviously missed that his WIFE is the President of the HOA. They make everyone's life miserable in various ways; and as soon as her year is up .... poof, she's history!

But by golly, thanks for telling me how to be an adult.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
You obviously missed that his WIFE is the President of the HOA. They make everyone's life miserable in various ways; and as soon as her year is up .... poof, she's history!

But by golly, thanks for telling me how to be an adult.
I missed nothing. The fact that his wife holds some position in the HOA is irrelevant. He doesn't, and it appears he didn't reference her or the HOA in any way. You seem to want to connect him to the HOA through her, which is odd considering your description of him as "neutered" and a "henpecked old codger with no authority." Your thread is about a retired old man and his focus on your flag. It has nothing to do with the HOA.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
I missed nothing. The fact that his wife holds some position in the HOA is irrelevant. He doesn't, and it appears he didn't reference her or the HOA in any way. You seem to want to connect him to the HOA through her, which is odd considering your description of him as "neutered" and a "henpecked old codger with no authority." Your thread is about a retired old man and his focus on your flag. It has nothing to do with the HOA.

Bill, thanks for the reply, but see if you can get out in the fresh air today.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Bill, thanks for the reply, but see if you can get out in the fresh air today.
You can be as snarky as you want. You're just upset that you didn't get a bunch of people dumping on HOAs, which is what your thread title leads me to believe you wanted.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:21 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,180 times
I LIVE for these kinds of posts!

If you ever meet him or see him, did you ever notice if he has any U.S. flags flying from his car? If so, you need to look up the code that states that only military staff cars can fly the U.S. flag, and there are strict rules in doing so, i.e. I think they have to only be from the front corners of the vehicle.

"Nothing is so much in need of reform as other peoples' bad habits." --Mark Twain.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:27 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,108,604 times
OH geez. Obviously OP is telling the story with a sense of humor. Some of you need to relax. Not like OP is engaging in a nightly ritual where she sets the flag on fire on her front lawn. She has a small flag in her back yard surrounded by some flowers, and the old fart took it upon himself to write her a 9 page letter signed using his military rank to instruct her on proper flag use. How pretentious! I'd throw that letter in the trash and keep on enjoying your flag just the way you like to enjoy it!

Old 04-23-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
OH geez. Obviously OP is telling the story with a sense of humor. Some of you need to relax. Not like OP is engaging in a nightly ritual where she sets the flag on fire on her front lawn. She has a small flag in her back yard surrounded by some flowers, and the old fart took it upon himself to write her a 9 page letter signed using his military rank to instruct her on proper flag use. How pretentious! I'd throw that letter in the trash and keep on enjoying your flag just the way you like to enjoy it!

Amen Strawberry ... doing just that !

Old 04-23-2014, 12:20 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Switch it out for a Jolly Roger flag. Next time you're confronted about the flag, just say "Arrr, take yer rules and walk the plank, scalawag!"

And I agree with the posts above that this is not an HOA issue. HOA's get a bad rap on C-D. Moving into an HOA neighborhood is a choice. There are plenty of places to live that don't have them.
This is the type of stuff they get a bad rap for! The problem is that generally the areas that don't have an HOA are either crap, rich & not accessible due to cost, or not in areas with good schools! It is a shame that we have to be policed about the dumbest things. The one who pays the mortgage gets to say what goes around their home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate