Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 01:06 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times

Advertisements

Hey, it could be worse. A guy in a local neighborhood has been flying a full-size Nazi flag on a tall flagpole in his backyard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 01:13 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Hey, it could be worse. A guy in a local neighborhood has been flying a full-size Nazi flag on a tall flagpole in his backyard.

Should I send our Flag Police over there on patrol ?

Old 04-23-2014, 01:15 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Should I send our Flag Police over there on patrol ?
He might have a stroke!

Old 04-23-2014, 01:21 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,075,900 times
I would go with the rainbow flag. Talk about putting his knickers in a twist!

(As an aside, you might report him to the HOA, Send a letter describing the attack, without mentioning names, Let them figure it out....oh the look on their faces!)

Old 04-23-2014, 01:29 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
It's a simple little garden flag, short pole that sticks in the ground. Not even anywhere near a regulation American flag. I am a big time patriot. The guy has "issues". His wife is Prez of the HOA Board and has a rep of being a bully in the community; and he is simply neutered.
This sort of thing happens in neighborhoods without HOAs. Many people are sensitive about the U.S. flag and do not hesitate making their opinions known.

Regardless of who he is married to, he is free to express his opinion. And you are free to ignore it.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:15 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,323 times
He's probably nuts, but the point is he is using his former rank to be a bully which is not "honorable" at all. I am having my own personal nightmare with my HOA and have learned they are mostly useless. I would ignore it since you aren't violating any covenants. What is he going to do? Show up in his old uniform and force you to take it down? He would even need to send a more court acceptable communication to be heard by any judge regarding the issue so you clearly have time to just overlook his "peacock" stance.

Good luck to you.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:40 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,936,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
He's probably nuts, but the point is he is using his former rank to be a bully which is not "honorable" at all. I am having my own personal nightmare with my HOA and have learned they are mostly useless. I would ignore it since you aren't violating any covenants. What is he going to do? Show up in his old uniform and force you to take it down? He would even need to send a more court acceptable communication to be heard by any judge regarding the issue so you clearly have time to just overlook his "peacock" stance.

Good luck to you.
I think you're making bigger deal of it than the retired guy did. Maybe even a bigger deal than the OP made. He sent her a letter explaining how her flag should be displayed, noting that it was currently improper. There's nothing here that says it was supposed to be any sort of official document. It wasn't a "complaint" to be registered with anyone anywhere. There was no indication that there was ever going to be any sort of court appearance. And certainly no reason to think he would ever try to force anything. A retired serviceman with perhaps too much time on his hands sent a PERSONAL letter about something that seems important to him, and less so to others. Likely he thought he was educating someone about the issue.

And he didn't use his former rank to be a bully. He signed the letter with his rank, something retired Army officers are entitled to use, I believe. Not all of them do, but certainly this guy isn't the only one. Perhaps he thought that rank might demonstrate the basis for his knowledge on the subject.

C h i l l.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:40 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,278,570 times
Just take him with a grain of salt. He is an old guy with not enough to do. He is probably frustrated with what he perceives as a lack of patriotism, etc. Just be friendly and even act like you appreciated his comments. He will go away.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:42 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
I think you're making bigger deal of it than the retired guy did. Maybe even a bigger deal than the OP made. He sent her a letter explaining how her flag should be displayed, noting that it was currently improper. There's nothing here that says it was supposed to be any sort of official document. It wasn't a "complaint" to be registered with anyone anywhere. There was no indication that there was ever going to be any sort of court appearance. And certainly no reason to think he would ever try to force anything. A retired serviceman with perhaps too much time on his hands sent a PERSONAL letter about something that seems important to him, and less so to others. Likely he thought he was educating someone about the issue.

C h i l l.
I am "chilled" out.

Are you suggesting this guy is doing some kind of public service by educating people about their flags?

Also, you have the option of adding me to your "ignore" list. That might help you chill out a bit.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:45 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,733,179 times
It baffles me why people willingly decide to give money to people to live in a neighborhood with HOAs...if you don't want problems then don't live near the problem people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate