Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 07:39 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,047,796 times

Advertisements

When I was housebuying, I would not play the come down, go up, come down, go up repeat game. I made an offer, I heard the counter; if there was no way to meet after that counter, I walked. I knew my markets, I knew what I wanted and what I could/would pay. No game.

Since your buyer was so far below your asking, it's reasonable to assume, they are not going to play with your minimal adjustment from your asking. I'd be walking. They don't think you're in the same market they are. Since your home needs a lot of updating and this is the first offer you've had, I think your buyer is probably more in tune with your market than you are. Consider the costs of updating and meet your buyer with a realistic counter based on that.

If I were that buyer, I'd already be looking elsewhere. You'll have to get my head back into considering your house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

10 posts, read 15,814 times
The 355k house was similar age and style, smaller Sq ft and smaller yard. It has more updates then our property. However, our neighborhood is more prestigious and houses not as on top of one another. What are the odds another buyer.comes along of we decrease? Is a bird in hand worth more then two in the bush at this stage?

18,324 posts, read 18,927,124 times
every month you don't sell is costing you money. your price is obviously too high combined with your home not being updated like the homes you have the comps for. no offers in 300 days, a small market to boot, I would make a deal and be done with it.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:40 PM

5,663 posts, read 10,687,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobb90 View Post
The 355k house was similar age and style, smaller Sq ft and smaller yard. It has more updates then our property. However, our neighborhood is more prestigious and houses not as on top of one another. What are the odds another buyer.comes along of we decrease? Is a bird in hand worth more then two in the bush at this stage?
After 300 days? YES

Old 04-22-2014, 07:42 PM

18,324 posts, read 18,927,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
When I was housebuying, I would not play the come down, go up, come down, go up repeat game. I made an offer, I heard the counter; if there was no way to meet after that counter, I walked. I knew my markets, I knew what I wanted and what I could/would pay. No game.

Since your buyer was so far below your asking, it's reasonable to assume, they are not going to play with your minimal adjustment from your asking. I'd be walking. They don't think you're in the same market they are. Since your home needs a lot of updating and this is the first offer you've had, I think your buyer is probably more in tune with your market than you are. Consider the costs of updating and meet your buyer with a realistic counter based on that.

If I were that buyer, I'd already be looking elsewhere. You'll have to get my head back into considering your house.

I buy houses the same way. I like a clean deal, I will not play the game. I too would walk from the op's house.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:52 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,963,956 times
I just had a buyer walk after the counter offer wasn't close to market. His first offer was his best offer and that was it. Everyone is different on how they want to negotiate. Perhaps your agent can feel out the other agent to see if there is any room at all to get to an agreement.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:00 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,389,215 times
Quote:
I am posting here because I am trying to gather as much advice as possible. My wife and I put up our house for sale almost a year ago. We priced it high as we were still living there and were willing to rent if the right buyer came along. We recently built a new house and have moved out. We thought the house was in line with pricing but we received no offers for over 300 days on market. Our realtor recently held an open house and only two couples attended with one expressing an interest in the property. They toured it again with their realtor and made an offer. They are pre-approved, putting 20% down and sent over a deposit of 5k with the offer sheet. Their realtor pointed out that his clients felt the house needed updates to the kitchen, baths, deck, walkway and installation of central A/C and subsequently dropped their offer to 345k when asking was 394k. They also sent over some comps with a house at 355k being considered the most comparable. We were happy to get an offer and submitted a counter of 380k. Well the Buyers rejected it, stated the concerns regarding updates and that the house was a fair offer in line with the applicable comps -their agent said they were still very much open to purchasing at the 345k initially offered. I am really unsure as to what to do next, part of me thinks they should pound sand while the other part realizes we haven't had an offer in over 300 days!

Your house was obviously overpriced for the last 300 days. Hold out for your price if you want and can afford to let it sit for a lot longer.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:46 PM

502 posts, read 892,509 times
Quote:
Is this a real post? I'm having a hard time believing that someone who has had their house for sale for nearly a YEAR, has moved out, and is already paying for another house would actually consider turning down this offer and waiting for another one.

You just said it. The other house has more updates. Your buyers are going to have to spend $20,000? to get your house to match the other one (assuming the square footage isn't WAY off. Then you are at your "market price" of $370,000 and right up at your counter.

For goodness sake. Take the offer. Let the house go and move on with your life.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:22 PM

8,657 posts, read 22,818,618 times
Based on what the OP has posted, a better offer likely will not be forthcoming. You got your one move, now get rid of the house before you have to carry it for another year.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:23 PM

5 posts, read 10,568 times
If there is less buyer traffic in your area, then the price is absolutely too high. You mentioned the space of your home compared to other houses that are on top of each other. This may or may not be of interest to your buyer. They mentioned the updates so that is important to them. Most buyers know how long a house has been vacant before they make an offer. In many people's minds long vacancy=not cared for anymore. It sounds like a realistic offer. How much money would you save on the insurance and taxes if it sells now as opposed to a year or two down the road?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate