Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2014, 03:03 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
How to find new address for seller: send a certified mail, return receipt requested letter to the seller at his old address (your current address). Be sure to mark the box on the return receipt (the green card) where it says "address to where delivered." Assuming seller filed a change of address, the letter will be delivered to their new address and the letter carrier will provide the new address on the green card returned to you.

You used to be able to go to the post office and have the PO give you the change of address info for a fee. I don't believe you can do that any more, but you might check.

If they bought a house, info could be found at recorder of deeds.

FWIW, I think this is a contract dispute and the OP will prevail. When I've sold houses, the only things I wanted to take were the curtains that matched my bedspreads, and you can be darned sure I included that in the disclosure and the contract.

OP: you MUST come back and tell us how it is finally resolved.
Brilliant! I'd been successful so far in obtaining a forwarding address,and with no address, I don't even know in which county court to file for small claims.

And yes, I will post the resolution, but I don't expect it to be any time soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 03:17 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I don't even know in which county court to file for small claims.
You should file in the county where the house is located.

Old 05-03-2014, 03:38 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
But they will still need to serve the perps so they need a good address.

Old 05-03-2014, 03:46 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,175,995 times
The way I see it is this: the cabinets were there on closing day, therefore, from that point on, it is YOUR house and it is YOUR cabinets. They are merely tenants at that point.

Old 05-03-2014, 03:50 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times
Quote:
[/b]

Why should nothing be assumed? Why should I have asked about the garage cabinets any more than I should have asked about, for example, the kitchen cabinets? I am sincerely trying to understand. In real estate law, anything bolted or screwed to a wall is a fixture, therefore "real property" not "personal property." All real property, unless specifically excluded in the contract, is conveyed in the sale. That's not really an assumption,that's real estate law.

Also help me understand why it should have been my agent, rather than the sellers agent, who should have written in this exclusion.
Because your agent is supposed to be looking out for you, and should have caught this, investigated it, and reported back to you on it--i.e. the sellers plan to take the garage cabinets with them, are you aware of this?

Old 05-03-2014, 04:10 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
Quote:
[/b]

Why should nothing be assumed? Why should I have asked about the garage cabinets any more than I should have asked about, for example, the kitchen cabinets? I am sincerely trying to understand. In real estate law, anything bolted or screwed to a wall is a fixture, therefore "real property" not "personal property." All real property, unless specifically excluded in the contract, is conveyed in the sale. That's not really an assumption,that's real estate law.

Also help me understand why it should have been my agent, rather than the sellers agent, who should have written in this exclusion.
Actually she should have written it in or written it out. She screwed up and agrees. That is why she was agreeable to paying half. The seller's agent is equally or even more guilty.

She had, or should have had, direct knowledge that the seller did not intend to include the cabinets.

Old 05-03-2014, 05:31 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,774,187 times
Garage work shop style cabinets (and there are some pretty nice units out there) will NOT cost $4000 to replace! No way, no how. Go on craigslist and get yourself a nice used set for a few hundred dollars and be done with it. The cabinets were used anyhow.

You're playing a victim here, when it was not specified in your contract. You will spend $1500 on an attorney, who will want more down the road and you will lose anyhow.

Old 05-03-2014, 05:36 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
Garage work shop style cabinets (and there are some pretty nice units out there) will NOT cost $4000 to replace! No way, no how. Go on craigslist and get yourself a nice used set for a few hundred dollars and be done with it. The cabinets were used anyhow.

You're playing a victim here, when it was not specified in your contract. You will spend $1500 on an attorney, who will want more down the road and you will lose anyhow.
I see your point, but I don't see how you can be so certain this buyer would lose in court. Items attached permanently to walls always are sold with the home, unless excluded in the contract, and these were not excluded in the contract.

Old 05-03-2014, 06:06 PM

297 posts, read 794,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
I'd ask myself if it's worth the time, effort, money, and stress to get these cabinets back. I think you're in the right, but really, is all the trouble worth it, just to get some used cabinets back and be able to say, "I was right"?

Old 05-03-2014, 06:19 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
Quote:
These custom cabinets were specifically mentioned on a list of upgrades (on one of the brochures we picked up while touring the home).

We found out after the sellers moved out that in the agent remarks section of the MLS, there was a comment "garage storage cabinets do not convey." However, that comment did not appear on the Public Record sheet that we had (it looks pretty much like the MLS sheet, but was intended for potential buyers. We picked it up from the box attached to the for sale sign in the front yard).
The brochure prepared by the agent, was put out by the listing agent and placed in the box at the front of the home. That means they were part of the sale, or claimed to be by the agent. They may have been on the MLS as an exclusion, but the sheets prepared by the agent and available to buyers said they were included as an upgrade. What is represented to the buyers, takes preference over being someplace you never saw it.

What is attached permanently (bolted to the wall) is normally considered part of the property. They were stated to be an upgrade on the brochure the agent made up and distributed.

The way I would handle this if I was you, would be to notify the Listing and Selling Brokers offices, and the Salesmen involved to make good on paying for or re-installing the cabinets within 10 days or your were going to do two things. Make a formal complaint on misrepresentation and fraud by the salespeople and offices involved, to the State Realtors Association, and to the State Agency controlling licensing real estate brokers. No agency wants that kind of complaint made, as it could cost them their Board Of Realtors membership, and even their real estate licenses, if they do not make this right.

As a retired real estate broker, I can tell you this will get action. If they don't make it good within 10 days make formal complaints sent by registered letter to the state agency and the state association of Realtors, and indicate a copy was sent to the governor of the state. It will get action. Advertising as the brochure is, and the information was false as it was in this case, is considered fraudulent and deceptive advertising in every state.

Saying it was on the MLS listing as an exclusion is not a defense, when it was stated in the brochure prepared by the listing salesmen that it was an upgrade included with the house. That statement, becomes a personal guarantee by the agent it was included.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate