Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 07:26 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,362,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbound and Down View Post
If that is how they roll around here (deleting or closing threads) then so be it, but there is some useful information for people other than the OP who are following along. These threads are more than a personal advice column for one person, they are public forums. If anyone has violated the TOS, the admins should step in and admonish them, but I frankly don't see the need to close the thread.

Whatever, good luck to her and anyone else in this situation.
I understand that there is good info, maybe a new thread that is not so personally revealing be started about a similar topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 07:34 PM

688 posts, read 1,098,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Yes the OP asked for advice, but given her situation can you blame her? It's an extraordinarily stressful process and everyone is piling on. After awhile, it's too much. Especially when people suggest to drop $15K on the house when she already stated they are frugal.
Well, it is a house, not a person. Nobody is giving medical advice, and nobody is going to die over the price of this house. People buy and sell houses every day of the week, and sometimes they get bum advice from people (neighbors, realtors, the internet) on the value of the house they are trying to sell, and they languish on the market for months on end when properly priced homes sell in a day or two.

So no, I don't see how her situation is all that dire. She should find a better real estate agent, maybe, or pay an appraiser to value the house for selling purposes (a market analysis that should include good comps), and then proceed.

The advice I and others have given here is free, and all of us have the disadvantage of not seeing the actual house in person, plus not having access to the sales data - some of the advice still is spot on, and some of the comments are snarky and worthless - that, unfortunately is the nature of posts one reads on anonymous internet forums.You have to grow a thick skin to hang around forums like this (and this one is fairly civil, really).

My advice: she should pay an appraiser the going rate in her market (surely no more than say $500+/-) and get the opinion of a disinterested 3rd party expert - tell them exactly what they are looking for - the market value of their home, and advice for a reasonable asking price. Real estate agents are not disinterested parties, and they typically are not expert in the valuation of homes, especially those that don't quite fit in with the neighborhood (like her house). PS: if you go this route, at a minimum, find a state certified appraiser, not a real estate agent posing as an "appraiser" - and if you really want some added quality assurance, find a state certified appraiser with one of the following professional society certifications denoting more rigorous training and experience: MAI, RM, or SRA

To just start making small reductions every week or two in the asking price may ultimately work, but it would be better at this juncture to get real on price and drop it to a level that will attract buyers who are willing to overlook the deficiency and maybe see how they can improve the property and build equity at the same time.

Rip that band-aid off in a single quick motion!

Last edited by Westbound and Down; 05-06-2014 at 08:33 PM..

Old 05-06-2014, 07:37 PM

988 posts, read 1,735,633 times
Quote:
Clarify - did the OP reveal her address, or did somebody figure it out and "out it"? If the latter, can't the admin just erase that info from the thread? If the OP revealed it, she should ask for that to be erased (one thing I don't like here is the time limit on editing your own posts - just learned it is 90 minutes - why is that limited?).
Another poster outed her; found the listing and put it up. Everyone deleted the link in quick order but still, I can understand someone being upset about their personal info being revealed without their consent.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:41 PM

688 posts, read 1,098,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berniekosar19 View Post
Another poster outed her; found the listing and put it up. Everyone deleted the link in quick order but still, I can understand someone being upset about their personal info being revealed without their consent.
OK, that really sucks. Very inappropriate. Is all the info now gone? If so, I understand hurt feelings and all, but what use is there in deleting the thread? If the info is still around, I hope that the admin can just scrub the thread of that personal info without closing or deleting the whole thing.

Last edited by Westbound and Down; 05-06-2014 at 08:10 PM..

Old 05-06-2014, 07:56 PM

16,061 posts, read 26,694,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berniekosar19 View Post
Wow, that is awful!! I didn't realize the OP didn't post the link. Even more upsetting!

Old 05-06-2014, 09:10 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,577,534 times
Yeah, it's not good manners to "out" anyone.

OP, I'm sorry that happened to you!

Still, I hope you can set that aside for a little bit and see the good advice on this thread. I thought Westbound and Down's post #84 was especially good.

I hope that you get a great offer on your house soon!

Old 05-07-2014, 08:16 AM

14,225 posts, read 14,646,717 times
LISA

It is a tough time and understandably filled with emotion and concern for you. A sale like yours meaning hubby at new location and all is very nerve racking. I hope you take all that has been said as an education/information on how to sell your house versus beating up on you.

Use it to your own advantage.

Best wishes.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:10 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,436,134 times
Quote:
Not trying to be argumentative, but...

My parents bought a house in a new subdivision in Louisiana, built in 1953, and it and every other house in the decidedly middle class neighborhood (all homes under 1600 sf total) had 3 bedrooms and 2 full bathrooms, so I don't think that a 2nd bathroom for a 3rd bedroom built back then, even in SC, would have been considered a luxury, and by today's standards, it is inadequate and limits your resale potential...
I disagree with the first part of your message (my husband grew up in an early 1950's split level in Bergen County NJ that had 3 bedrooms/1 bath on the top level - and a half bath on the bottom rec room level) . But totally agree with your second. Especially since one of the selling points for this house is the school district (and people looking for good school districts presumably have or plan to have kids). Three or more people sharing 1 1/2 baths is definitely out of date today. Robyn

Old 05-07-2014, 04:35 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,387,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Nobody, not even investors, buys just on price. That said the converse is also true -- nobody will buy a house that is clearly mispriced. And to be sure "mispriced" means WAY out of the park, not just a couple percentage.

Further in my experience there is a HUGE local component to real estate. If things are red hot in New Jersey that does not mean they will be even luke warm five states away. Maybe the OP is not the only moving out of town, maybe the weather has been literally deadly -- Tornado Outbreak, Flooding Disaster Kills at Least 40: State-by-State Updates - weather.com Will This Girl Find Her Lost Dog?

Without data that shows what the current time on market statistics are like I would not change price...

Right. But the price is what gets them looking or hitting the back button. I understand price, location, size and condition are the factors sellers look at. But price is a big factor too. If its a hot market and it's not getting views that says something. If its a cold market you're go bs have to give it away. I'm going by the OP selling in a sellers market and her not having offers or showings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate