Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 09:50 AM

494 posts, read 849,880 times

Advertisements

This is just another example of people thinking that others should accommodate their decision to have children. Basically the OP is saying that that the neighbor needs to buy a membership to a gym, or ask permission before working out. I would have told her to pound sand.
This is one of the drawbacks of living in a co-OP/apartment. If you can't tolerate others making noise in the middle of the day, you really need to purchase a single family home.
In any case, this likely shouldn't be an issue for a whole lot longer. The baby will eventually start sleeping less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 10:53 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguy17 View Post
This is just another example of people thinking that others should accommodate their decision to have children. Basically the OP is saying that that the neighbor needs to buy a membership to a gym, or ask permission before working out. I would have told her to pound sand.
This is one of the drawbacks of living in a co-OP/apartment. If you can't tolerate others making noise in the middle of the day, you really need to purchase a single family home.
In any case, this likely shouldn't be an issue for a whole lot longer. The baby will eventually start sleeping less.
So, you're saying BOTH parties (since it's the neighbor's son who is making the noise, remember) are thinking that others should accommodate their decision to have children, right?

Old 05-05-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
So, you're saying BOTH parties (since it's the neighbor's son who is making the noise, remember) are thinking that others should accommodate their decision to have children, right?
Actually, I'm not. People can exercise in their home in the middle of the day. The age of the person doing it is irrelevant. Also, the neighbors haven't asked the OP to do or stop doing anything.
If you want a noise free environment move to a house. I didn't see any mention of how many times the OP's neighbors have been woken up by a screaming baby. That's because most people don't complain because that's part of sharing walls with people.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:59 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
I would have to say you either need to suck it up or move. It's unfair that the noise interferes with your baby's nap, but to expect the world to be quite is not going to happen. You asked your neighbor politely, he doesn't want to adhere. It sounds as if the management doesn't want to get involved, so you can put up with it or move.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:14 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,466,823 times
Why don't you move to a higher floor in the same housing complex? That would be the best solution for everyone.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutra11 View Post
Why don't you move to a higher floor in the same housing complex? That would be the best solution for everyone.
I think the OP said they own the unit.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:30 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,044,268 times
Your neighbor is right, at 5pm it's fine for his son to be working out in their home. This is just something people have to deal with in a multi family building.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:50 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
I suggest you construct a little sound absorbing den around the baby's bed. If you put one of those baby 'walkie talkies' in the den you will be able to hear when s/he awakes. In time your child change their nap schedule and will be making lots of noise with the best of them.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:03 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,192,819 times
Here's the thing....a two month old baby will probably have an entirely different sleeping schedule in a month or two, and an entirely different one the month after that. I don't see how you can expect a neighbor to conform to a schedule that will likely be changing.

I would try white noise or a walk in the stroller if the baby needs to sleep during the neighbor's work out time. If you want a quiet environment on your own terms, then multi-family housing is not right for you. I think he has the right to work out in his own home at an hour that most people consider reasonable.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:53 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,380,880 times
I would just ask your neighbors very politely if they could give you a half hour or so of warning before they plan to work out so you can bundle baby up and take him for a nice walk.

I know it sucks when you have a new baby, and your world has had to drastically change and revolve around the baby's needs right now, but the rest of the world doesn't and shouldn't have to.

Chances are good you will be living where you are for awhile and so will your neighbors, but your baby won't be a baby forever, or even napping at the same times for the same amount of time. It's not worth the aggravation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate