Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 12:10 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,797,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMillersWife View Post
For instance, I am currently looking into a home in MD, which is part of a community. They have their 58/mo HoA Fee (fine), but an "Other" fee at 300/year with no explanation?
Are you sure that's a year? Many HOA's have a "buy in" that is a one time fee. When you buy in the community, they charge a fee to help build their reserves for any future things. Call and find out, as the $58 a month should cover the community areas and landscaping, otherwise why charge the $58 a month if it doesn't cover anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 12:12 PM

6,553 posts, read 8,380,268 times
Quote:
For instance, I am currently looking into a home in MD, which is part of a community. They have their 58/mo HoA Fee (fine), but an "Other" fee at 300/year with no explanation?

I can only assume that it's for upkeep for the pool and common areas but it would be nice to know for sure. The only thing listed re: what the HoA Fee (58 bucks) covers is snow removal. What about the summer months?

I've been searching all over the net for any reference to the community, all I get is a name and phone number.

Checking with my realtor to see if we can get a copy of those documents written into the contract. Otherwise, yeah, I'm inclined to look elsewhere.
Maybe it was a special assessment fee?

Old 05-07-2014, 12:13 PM

45,318 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Quote:

I can only assume that it's for upkeep for the pool and common areas but it would be nice to know for sure. The only thing listed re: what the HoA Fee (58 bucks) covers is snow removal. What about the summer months?

I've been searching all over the net for any reference to the community, all I get is a name and phone number.

Checking with my realtor to see if we can get a copy of those documents written into the contract. Otherwise, yeah, I'm inclined to look elsewhere.
Go to the Courthouse in Upper Marlboro to get copies of the covenants, they would have had to be filed when the subdivision was approved.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:54 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,428,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Maybe it was a special assessment fee?
It sounds like a pool fee. That's about what the yearly maintence fees were for the private pool association we once belonged to.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:36 PM

8,005 posts, read 7,209,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
HOA docs have to be filed and recorded to be enforceable in Florida IIRC. No one should have problems in Florida. Robyn
Robyn, I'm aware that the declaration, incorporation and bylaws are required to be recorded but I wasn't aware that rules and regs were included in that requirement. I've never seen rules and regs recorded in my Florida county.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:47 PM

5,663 posts, read 10,734,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
HOA docs have to be filed and recorded to be enforceable in Florida IIRC. No one should have problems in Florida. Robyn
Hi Robyn...I haven't heard that before but that might be true. IDK...I do know that I have looked on the clerk's website for docs for some associations and couldn't find them but it may be those that were of a certain age and older.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Robyn, I'm aware that the declaration, incorporation and bylaws are required to be recorded but I wasn't aware that rules and regs were included in that requirement. I've never seen rules and regs recorded in my Florida county.
I've found them. In fact, I am on my board and our RNRs are recorded whenever there is a change.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:52 PM

TheMillersWife....we see that around here. It could be a few things but there is probably a master association and a neighborhood association. Sometimes, you'll see a fee that is annual for the HOA and a monthly or quarterly fee for the neighborhood, especially for condos or maintenance free homes.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:08 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,785,636 times
In addition to the documents, I would recommend talking with the neighbors about how the place is managed as well as special assessments.

As one person mentioned, many HOA's keep dues low but impose "special assessments."

Ask to see the reserve study as well as the financial statements. It is essential that the HOA have a plan/reserve study to maintain and repair things as they deteriorate with age. Many HOAs operate impose "special assessments" to cover deferred maintenance.

We were surprised when we started looking how many HOA's do not have a reserve study and/or barely have any funds in reserve for roof repairs, paving, pool maintenance, etc.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:16 PM

15,570 posts, read 40,404,923 times
In Oregon the CC&R's and bylaws are all recorded at the county and open to the public to read. Just because they aren't on a website it doesn't mean you can't access them. I would head down to the local county recorder and see what you can see, or you can call a title company and ask the to pull them for you if you live in a state that uses title companies.

The only thing we have to ask for here are financial docs and meeting minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate