U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 12-11-2007, 04:44 AM
 
Location: Lackawaxen, PA
102 posts, read 209,744 times
Reputation: 41

Advertisements

Why would the mortgage company for the people buying my house request a second appraisal? Should I be worried? Settlement is 2 weeks away!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-11-2007, 08:36 AM
 
Location: Nine Mile Falls/Spokane, WA
864 posts, read 2,996,116 times
Reputation: 503
Sometimes a lender will want a second appraisal if the home has already sold within a short time frame prior to this sale (i.e. fix & flip) or if the comps that the appraiser used seem out of line - either not close to your home or have extreme differences from your home. Is your home unusual or in a remote area? Do you know if there have been other sales in your area in the past 6 months? It could also be that the buyer has credit issues and they want a second appraisal just to ensure the value in case of default.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2007, 08:44 AM
 
Location: Lackawaxen, PA
102 posts, read 209,744 times
Reputation: 41
I think it may be that the buyer has credit issues. We live in a blue collar neighborhood. Its a twin. I also think they don't have many comps to go by. The one that I know that they are using is down the street but its a different township, schools are better. It sold for less than ours but our house is updated wherein the comp house was all original plus no bath tub.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2007, 10:49 AM
 
354 posts, read 782,439 times
Reputation: 83
Generally, it means the appraisal value was out of line-too high or low. Keep your fingers crossed that the second one comes close to the sales price.

If the lender ordered a new appraisal it would be real tight for the lender to advance funds for a closing in two weeks.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2007, 11:10 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
10,419 posts, read 18,022,679 times
Reputation: 6202
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsMom View Post
Why would the mortgage company for the people buying my house request a second appraisal? Should I be worried? Settlement is 2 weeks away!
Call YOUR agent and have her find out for you. Its part of her job. ANYTIME you have questions or concerns, call your Agent. Worrying over needless issues is simply a waste of time.

Vicki
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2007, 12:44 PM
 
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
8,521 posts, read 10,379,812 times
Reputation: 3249
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch123 View Post
Generally, it means the appraisal value was out of line-too high or low. Keep your fingers crossed that the second one comes close to the sales price.

If the lender ordered a new appraisal it would be real tight for the lender to advance funds for a closing in two weeks.
That's what I was thinking right off the bat. I've heard many, many horror stories of soon to be sellers upset because the 2nd appraisal was much lower than the 1st (understandably so)....

Stay in the loop w/your realtor on this...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2007, 01:34 PM
Status: "It's 5 o'clock somewhere." (set 24 days ago)
 
Location: Mountain Ranch, CA The heart of Calaveras County
6,175 posts, read 11,602,162 times
Reputation: 4950
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch123 View Post

If the lender ordered a new appraisal it would be real tight for the lender to advance funds for a closing in two weeks.
I totally disagree with this statement. The appraisal usually comes near the end of the process. I've seen underwriters fund the loan 3 days after the appraisal was submitted and I would say that's the rule rather than the exception.

I can't imagine there is a state where this would be true, but it's possible.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2007, 02:01 PM
 
354 posts, read 782,439 times
Reputation: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
I totally disagree with this statement. The appraisal usually comes near the end of the process. I've seen underwriters fund the loan 3 days after the appraisal was submitted and I would say that's the rule rather than the exception.

I can't imagine there is a state where this would be true, but it's possible.
And I disagree with your statement. I think you are missing the point.

The second appraisal was just asked for by the lender. It takes about 10 days to get one if it is pushed thru. For all it's worth, the buyer might have not yet even contacted an appraiser for it. I know loans can be funded in 3 days but that would be only after the second appraisal is submitted.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2007, 07:49 PM
 
Location: Orlando FL
1,052 posts, read 2,780,302 times
Reputation: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch123 View Post
And I disagree with your statement. I think you are missing the point.

The second appraisal was just asked for by the lender. It takes about 10 days to get one if it is pushed thru. For all it's worth, the buyer might have not yet even contacted an appraiser for it. I know loans can be funded in 3 days but that would be only after the second appraisal is submitted.
I agree with his statement. I've had appraisals done in just a few days before no problem.

Bottom line is to call your realtor and ask them to find out what's going on. Last time this happened to me it was just that the buyer decided to switch lenders last minute for whatever reason. No problem with the appraisal, just new bank so new appraisal needed.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2007, 08:21 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
403 posts, read 798,743 times
Reputation: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch123 View Post
If the lender ordered a new appraisal it would be real tight for the lender to advance funds for a closing in two weeks.
This is a ridiculous statement with no basis in fact.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top