Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 12:33 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
I completely disagree....feedback is very important for sellers. If you see multiple buyers stating the same things....then it lets the seller know there is something that needs to be addressed, if possible. Sometimes, its something that can only be overcome with price.

Its foolish not to request this, as it is very simple to do and most of us will gladly give other agents our client's feedback.
You must be new. 99% of all agent feedback is perfunctory nonsense.

They liked it but the bedrooms were too small.
They liked it but the yard was too small.
They liked it but it's located too far from work
They liked it but they need a basement.
They liked it but they feel it needs too much updating.
They didn't like the neighborhood.
It's my first time out with them, so they really don't know what they want yet.
Which house were you?
I will have to call you back, I am on the other line.
I will have to call you back, I am driving.
Was that the house with the yellow carpet in the bedroom?
We looked at 15 houses that day, refresh my memory.
It was very nice.
It showed very well.

One time in 50, you'll get some feedback that is actually thoughtful and useful. But for the most part, it's a waste of time and effort. The best feedback is an offer to purchase.

A good listing agent is well aware of what the objections are going to be to any given property. And he or she will advise the seller what needs to be addressed and what doesn't. And will price accordingly from the start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 12:45 PM

983 posts, read 2,772,988 times
Hi All

Couple things....

Our house has been on the market 1 month today. Does that mean "it has not sold"? I think the average days on the market in my zip is about 90 right now, so I am not yet worried it won't sell. Maybe in another couple months.

I am confident that there is - out there in this yuppie-infested, HGTV-brainwashed world we live in - people like hubby and me who fell in love with this old house that is oozing charm, solidly built (made with real wood, not particle board) and has those features that you just don't find in new homes unless you are rich and can lay out big bucks - like solid wood floors with inlay, thick wood moldings everywhere, wood burning fireplaces with substantial, solid wood surrounds, high ceilings, solid walls, etc. Maybe hubby and I were naïve, but when we found this house, we didn't even care that it has 1.5 baths (of course, we are only 2 people so we don't need more anyway), or an outdated kitchen. Yes, we noticed the kitchen but we didn't care because the house had so much else to offer that we felt more than compensated for the fact that we didn't have granite countertops or new kitchen cabinets.

So why are we selling (you are probably wondering)? At this point in our life (middle aged!), we no longer want to be homeowners and worry about things like mowing the lawn, weeding, property taxes, maintenance, upkeep, etc. We want to downsize and simplify. But for 10 years we've loved this house and know there is someone out there who will love it just as much as we did (and do)!

Old 05-14-2014, 01:44 PM

688 posts, read 1,100,954 times
All of 30 days on the market? And in the first line of your 1st post, you said you were "exasperated" with the feedback you were getting, especially people who felt the house needed updating (kitchen and baths) and that there are only 1.5 baths?

Here is my suggestion: 1) Stop asking for feedback, and 2) Come back in 60 days and let us know what happened, if indeed 90 days on market is the norm for your "zip."

Is that your house in the photo? That house has fantastic curb appeal, and I bet that is what is drawing people in. Maybe they just don't believe there are only 1.5 baths? Not sure. But if you have priced your house in line with comparable homes, you should be able to sell it, but it may take showing it every day for the next 2 months, so come up with a "clean up" strategy that takes no more than 15 minutes to show the house.

This is pretty interesting: average days on market for a number of north Jersey suburbs; most of them are improving a lot in recent months, so maybe this is a good sign for you: http://walkablesuburb.com/market-trends/

Good luck.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:54 PM

755 posts, read 1,118,322 times
Gorgeous house. I love it! I can see why you'd overlook a few "modern conveniences" to live there, but I don't think I'd ever move out!

I guess I'd say, don't expect buyers to be rational or feedback to necessarily be helpful, but when you do hear something helpful, or repeated often, pay attention to it if it's something you can address.

Sometimes it helps to go to a few open houses for comparable properties if you have the time/energy to do that. It can help you see your home through your buyers' eyes.

90 days on market isn't bad, and I wouldn't be worried at this point either, but at 45 I advise clients to make a price adjustment if there's not been one offer in that time.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:24 PM

983 posts, read 2,772,988 times
Yes, that is our house and she is beautiful, inside and out. And a great neighborhood with great schools. And convenient location close to everything including shopping, public transportation, easy commute to the nearest major city, etc.

The reason I am "exasperated" after only 30 days is because we've already had a boatload of showings (22 I think) and we keep getting repeated feedback of "needs too much updating (kitchen, baths)" or "beautiful house but client feels needs too much updating".

(BTW, it's not a décor thing. Our décor inside is fresh and up to date.)

Glad to know 30 days on the market isn't anything to worry about. I didn't think so, but man....30 days feels like a year living like this!!!

Old 05-14-2014, 05:30 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassygirl18 View Post
Yes, that is our house and she is beautiful, inside and out. And a great neighborhood with great schools. And convenient location close to everything including shopping, public transportation, easy commute to the nearest major city, etc.

The reason I am "exasperated" after only 30 days is because we've already had a boatload of showings (22 I think) and we keep getting repeated feedback of "needs too much updating (kitchen, baths)" or "beautiful house but client feels needs too much updating".

(BTW, it's not a décor thing. Our décor inside is fresh and up to date.)

Glad to know 30 days on the market isn't anything to worry about. I didn't think so, but man....30 days feels like a year living like this!!!
Do you have any interior photos?

Old 05-14-2014, 06:42 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Do you have any interior photos?
17 Saint Martins Rd, Cherry Hill, NJ 08002 is For Sale - Zillow

Note that the listing on Zillow says: 2 baths.

The real estate firm's listing
http://www.kw.com/homes-for-sale/080...A-6371182.html
says: 1.5 baths

I assume many people are seeing the 2 baths on Zillow.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:46 PM

988 posts, read 1,739,434 times
Oh boy; are we "outing" another poster?

To the OP: your house is gorgeous; but yes, Zillow listing says it's a 4BR/2ba home, so I can understand buyers being disappointed if that's what they were expecting. You should have your agent change that info ASAP.
To be fair, the written description clearly describes there being 1 and a half bathrooms.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:49 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,742,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbound and Down View Post
On the issue of pets in the house, or visual/olfactory evidence of pets in the house: I recently looked at a bunch of houses for sale (did not buy), and even though I am myself a pet lover and dog owner, I found it really offputting to see a house where a dog or cat was in the house during the walkthrough, and/or there was "evidence" of the pet through smells inside or outside, and animal waste in the backyard (for dogs, obviously) or a kitty litter box in the kitchen. I saw two houses with large, unhappy dogs in crates in the house, and their barking made me very uncomfortable to the point I cut the inspection short...

I don't know what the solution is for pet owners, but buyers should be able to walk through your house without being smacked in the face with the sights or smells of animals, or without being accosted by barking dogs in cages.
I can tell you what I do.

I have 2 long-haired cats. They're escape artists, they're pranksters, and they're also both insanely friendly. As in they beg to be picked up, carried, and like to jump up and ride on your shoulders. Even with strangers.

My friends love my kitties. A prospective buyer? Probably not so much.

Fortunately, I live in a fairly hot real estate market, and I'm currently in a very desirable neighborhood/development.

I get the house deep cleaned, decluttered, staged. And then the cats and I go off to an Extended-Stay for 2 weeks. I don't have the stress of keeping the house clean, vacuuming 2x a day, hoping nobody drops a stinky in the litter pan right before a showing, hoping the cats don't escape when the realtor opens the door.

It's actually kind of common in my area for a house to be on the market for 2-3 weeks, a few open houses, with the condition of "no bids entertained by MM/DD" or "Bids must be submitted by MM/DD". The last few units in my building sold within a few weeks, so the gamble of staying at an extended-stay hotel is worth the expense.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:52 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default No

Quote:
Originally Posted by berniekosar19 View Post
Oh boy; are we "outing" another poster?
STUNNING 1920s Center Hall Colonial - Cherry Hill, NJ (Philadelphia area)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate