Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 09:18 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,606,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Lol. You would draw your equity and invest it in the stock market? Why don't you just save the money you would of paid towards the mortgage and invest that. Less risk that way.

You never use your equity in that way. You want to play Donald Trump? Go buy a investment property but don't use your primary residence or its equity.
Three points:
- The interest on the investment can pay the mortgage.
- You don't get 3% mortgages for investment properties, only for primary residences.
- If you have a $300,000 mortgage on a house and the value drops to $100,000, you can short sell or walk away. If you buy stocks for $300,000 and the value drops you're SOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 07:47 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,343,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Dont be silly, stocks only go up.
Of course it does, but only if you drink the grape kool aide.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:08 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,343,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Three points:
- The interest on the investment can pay the mortgage. true, but interest rate volatility is a double edged sword, especially if you can't lock in a stable interest rate on both sides of the investments. This works best if you can buy a long term bond paying a higher interest rate then your mortgage.
- You don't get 3% mortgages for investment properties, only for primary residences.
- If you have a $300,000 mortgage on a house and the value drops to $100,000, you can short sell or walk away. If you buy stocks for $300,000 and the value drops you're SOL. However, you can sell calls against your stocks, you get additional income and if you put the strike price at a price that is higher then what you paid for the stock, if you get forced out, you will capture gains and not losses.
What you propose can work but it's usually recommended for sophisticated investors who can ride out long term volatility and aren't betting the family farm on a get rich quick scheme.
No one likes looking back after having a "Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda", moment and having to dig in to start from the bottom again.

If you got the financial resources and the ability to handle market stress, I say go for it.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:29 AM

776 posts, read 745,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midvalleydad View Post
having paid off our mortgage a couple years ago took a lot of pressure off our finances when i was laid off this year. the same goes for paying down the credit card balance to $0.00 every month. May be old fashioned but my wife and i sleep better at night.
bingo!

Old 05-19-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
And as Dave Ramsey says...... A lender has never foreclosed on a paid off home.
It happened in Florida to some homeowners who paid their mortgage off several years prior. They then contacted the sheriff and had them foreclose on the property the local BOA branch resided on.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
Lol one of our family friends has to be the smartest women ever born, and she told us the story of purchasing her first condo and applying for the mortgage. The loan officer tells her that the interest on the mortgage is tax deductible, and our family friend tells the loan officer if that's the case then she wants the highest interest rate possible so she can deduct as much as she can on her taxes
Apparently she failed math class. Paying a higher interest rate or getting a mortgage for this sole purpose is just throwing money down the drain for no reason. If you have to get the mortgage to buy the home then use it. I would much rather just send the IRS a few hundred dollars than to send the bank thousands a years just to uses their money. You will come out better that way.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:32 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,050,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
True, but when you rent the monthly payment is often even more than a house payment these days and you get none of that back and don't have any equity or anything to sell when you move.
Oh I never said there is more value to renting v owning. Just don't lie to yourself about the great tax deduction that the interest on your mortgage gives you.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Having paid off our mortgage a couple years ago took a lot of pressure off our finances when I was laid off this year. The same goes for paying down the credit card balance to $0.00 every month. May be old fashioned but my wife and I sleep better at night.

I'd agree with that. I don't consider my personal residence as an investment. I take very good care of my home, etc. But there is a lot of value in knowing that you do not have a mortgage payment and no credit cards. I have also never borrowed against my residence.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
...I don't consider my personal residence as an investment. ...
This is a myth that to this day is being perpetuated by realtors and real estate agents. I give cudos to those who don't pitch this garbage when trying to help their client secure a home to purchase. Before I have every realtor on this board jumping all over me I'm not calling all realtors bad or deceptive. I'm not against realtors. I just get tired of these realtors who use fear tactics to scare their clients into rushing into buying a home. Realtors don't make money by just representing people. Seller's agents make money off of clients buying homes. I know people who were personally duped by these tactics and will lose money while their realtor made good money off of them.

Home's don't automatically increase in value. The dollar value is usually adjusted for inflation, but the home is still worth what it was 20 years ago assuming it has been kept in good condition and no major upgrades have been made. Even so if you are paying full retail for upgrades you will never recover 100% of what it cost you for that upgrade. The value increase is not going to exceed the cost of putting it in.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaverra View Post
This is a myth that to this day is being perpetuated by realtors and real estate agents. I give cudos to those who don't pitch this garbage when trying to help their client secure a home to purchase. Before I have every realtor on this board jumping all over me I'm not calling all realtors bad or deceptive. I'm not against realtors. I just get tired of these realtors who use fear tactics to scare their clients into rushing into buying a home. Realtors don't make money by just representing people. Seller's agents make money off of clients buying homes. I know people who were personally duped by these tactics and will lose money while their realtor made good money off of them.

Home's don't automatically increase in value. The dollar value is usually adjusted for inflation, but the home is still worth what it was 20 years ago assuming it has been kept in good condition and no major upgrades have been made. Even so if you are paying full retail for upgrades you will never recover 100% of what it cost you for that upgrade. The value increase is not going to exceed the cost of putting it in.
I should add that I have never lost money on real estate. I've been very lucky. But my personal residence has its own intrinsic value to me -- its just not an investment. When I sell it I will make some money, but that's just a bonus to me. Homes take a LOT of money to maintain. I don't think many new buyers have any idea what they are getting into LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate