Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2007, 08:44 AM

157 posts, read 1,302,977 times

Advertisements

I am considering listing my property with Coldwell Banker. In reviewing their listing agreement it looks straight forward enough and understandable. There is one area in the agreement called "Special Clauses", from a sellers standpoint what special clauses should I consider inserting?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 08:52 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
A whole lot depends on the state the property is in. Is the contract state, Brokerage or Realtor Association prepared?

Old 12-12-2007, 09:55 AM

157 posts, read 1,302,977 times
As far as I can tell it is Brokerage prepared, it has "Copyright Coldwell Banker Residential Real Estate LLC" printed on the bottom of the last page.

I'm in Florida.

Thank you.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:13 PM

529 posts, read 2,393,361 times
If the listing agreement is like the one we use here in Arizona it should be pretty straightforward. Are there any particulars you discussed with the agent in regards to your property?

I suppose a clause about advertising could be used; e.g. Realtor agrees to run bi-weekly ads in local newspaper, have an online ad at www.thissite.com, etc..

Old 12-12-2007, 02:44 PM

73 posts, read 148,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme2 View Post
I am considering listing my property with Coldwell Banker. In reviewing their listing agreement it looks straight forward enough and understandable. There is one area in the agreement called "Special Clauses", from a sellers standpoint what special clauses should I consider inserting?

Thank you.
You might have a stove that you don't want to gow th the home and might be willing to replce it with another one. This could be written in.
sue from maien

Old 12-12-2007, 05:22 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,735,081 times
My hubby always jokes that we will write in that our cat comes with the house, no exceptions. LOL

Old 12-12-2007, 09:43 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
An example of a special clause would be something like:

"Uncle Bob is thinking about buying the home. If Uncle Bob buys it I can withdraw the listing and not pay a commission."

There are others but that's just an example.

Old 12-13-2007, 05:53 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,593,556 times
Consult a RE attorney, they should be able to let you know of recent protections sellers have seen fit to add to contracts, and are in the best position to draft the language you want written, to convey the proper intent.
Hope this helps

Old 12-14-2007, 01:25 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,423,879 times
I always write in "Either party may terminate agreement at any time with written notice" for my listing agreements. I'm comfortable enough with my abilities that I won't get fired. And if the seller decides they don't want to work with me, I don't want to work with them.

This also gives the agent the opportunity to back out if the seller is being difficult.

The agent is most likely protected from the seller pulling the listing in order to cut the agent out of a deal where a buyer has already shown interest with a "protection period". That should be in most contracts.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,165 times
Default Be very wary of any listing agreement prepared

by a real estate company (ie. Coldwell Banker or C-21 ect) is not necessarily written in the sellers best interest. The standard state board listing agreement or contacts are usually pretty fair and balanced but any legal document you sign should be read by your attorney BEFORE you sign it. (not a attorney recommended by the Real Estate Company) A large Nationwide company printed their listing agreement with a 1 year term and a $500 additional fee pre-printed in the contract as if this were the norm for selling your home. (if you balked at the $500 the agent had to pay it personally or find another way to increase amount of the commission paid. Like reducing the commission paid to cooperating buyers agents.) It was just another way to get more money like the $150-200 "doc prep" fee that car dealers like to charge.

Rule #1 if you don't fully understand what you are signing. Don't sign it until you get it checked out.

I've been in the Real Estate business for 30+ years and sadly agents are not as straight forward lately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate