Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 10:16 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,890,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmssm View Post
Okay, I will continue to post on NoVA till I buy one...
by all means, post where you see fit (assuming the moderators don't move the threads to make them more relevant...)

I just think you'll get better feedback from folks familiar with NOVA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 09:56 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,066,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
That was my thought at looking at the photos. The bathroom vanity, the color of the carpet, the brick backsplash in the kitchen which didn't quite meet the cabinets... all looked cheap to me.

According to Zillow, last sold 25 years ago for $156,000.

From the above and the looks of the lawn and the shrubs, I'm thinking this was owned by an older couple whose kids tried to update it on the cheap. Or a poorly done flip.

It may be a good deal. Seems to be priced within the range of homes around it. I think it could be a nice home if 1000 sq. ft. works for you.

But I'd have an inspector go over it with a fine-toothed comb. I'll bet there are a lot of deferred maintenance issues and poorly done repairs.
More than likely this was a rental home for a number of years based on the poorly maintained landscaping and lack of curb appeal. The recent improvements definitely look like an across the board 'freshening' instead of something an owner-occupier would have chosen - specifically the budget beige carpeting in the main living area. Most people would have gone with something nicer. I agree on the fine toothed comb approach, as these kinds of remodels tend to be quick and leave a number of rough edges as nobody actually lived in the house after the work was done.

It looks like the house fell out of contract once already, which may indicate that the previous buyer found some problems that were not corrected as part of the remodel.

Overall, it seems like a decent house but is slightly overpriced given the condition. The 'rough' shape of the yard is going to take some $$$ to correct. I'd figure you will need to replace all of the lawn and landscaping, as well as get the trees inspected/trimmed/removed if there are rot problems. I'd use that as a negotiating point. For me it would depend on whether the inspection turned up limited problems or major signs of deferred maintenance and poor workmanship. The fact that they re-sided with vinyl over the original siding but left the part under the carport uncovered is an odd cost cutting measure. To me that indicates the original siding was in terrible shape except for the part not directly exposed to the weather.

As to the square footage, I looked at several homes in Nova built in that style, and IIRC the actual square footage is closer to 1800-2000 sq ft with the below grade areas not counted. The size of the living/family rooms is a dead give away- you aren't going to find a 1000 sq ft house that has a good size living room, a large family room and 3 bedrooms. There's also a (likely unfinished) utility room on the lower floor as well.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:29 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,314,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Why hilarious? That house is 4 times the cost of my area and a salary calculator shows that most jobs in that area only pay about 20% more than comparable jobs here. That's a pretty hefty difference in housing affordability, so I can see why people are somewhat amazed or surprised (or relieved).
The thing your online salary calculator doesn't factor in is whether people can actually find jobs where you live. If they can't then the 'average salary' is meaningless. Hence why scores of people flock to the DC metro area(and other large metro areas) and real estate prices are really high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate