Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 02:35 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,024,355 times

Advertisements

As per the Washington Post, there is still a long way down for the housing market to go. The heads of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac say they contributed to the current crisis by encouraging too many people to buy houses:

"Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac contributed to the problem by spreading the message that everybody should own a house, he said. In fact, many people who should not have owned houses bought them, he said. Next year, the nation will have to come to terms with the big political challenge of converting much of that real estate into rental housing, Syron said."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?hpid=topnews
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 05:55 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
Default The sky is not falling

How is that? Some people will turn to renting after being bitten, hard, by the escalating monthly payments, and need a rest before diving back into the pool. But for others, it's a great wealth building opportunity.

So Fannie, and soon followed probably by Freddie, will require a 5% or more down payment in certain areas, or a reasonable justification of why this property/borrower is different.

There is opportunity everywhere. Private note holders, seller carry 2nds, new lease option or lease purchase agreements. Not every market is going to flounder.

It just might be an investor's dream come true.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:03 PM

266 posts, read 590,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
How is that? Some people will turn to renting after being bitten, hard, by the escalating monthly payments, and need a rest before diving back into the pool. But for others, it's a great wealth building opportunity.

So Fannie, and soon followed probably by Freddie, will require a 5% or more down payment in certain areas, or a reasonable justification of why this property/borrower is different.

There is opportunity everywhere. Private note holders, seller carry 2nds, new lease option or lease purchase agreements. Not every market is going to flounder.

Just don't catch a falling knife!

Seriously, calling home ownership a wealth building opportunity is EXACTLY why we're here. How many other homebuilders, economists and mortgage leaders have to say it before the majority of realtors agree?

Say it some more. Sky is falling, doom and gloom. I'm hoping there'll be some more catch phrases because my bumper sticker business depends on it I need some ideas please.

Last edited by Frudy McRomson; 12-12-2007 at 07:15 PM..

Old 12-12-2007, 10:03 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frudy McRomson View Post
Just don't catch a falling knife!

Seriously, calling home ownership a wealth building opportunity is EXACTLY why we're here. How many other homebuilders, economists and mortgage leaders have to say it before the majority of realtors agree?

Say it some more. Sky is falling, doom and gloom. I'm hoping there'll be some more catch phrases because my bumper sticker business depends on it I need some ideas please.
Then again, many millionaires were made by "catching the falling knife" in CA and other bubble markets at the right time. 2 sides to every coins. We must run if different circles because the professionals I know don't agree with your statement either.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:02 AM

403 posts, read 1,170,036 times
Quote:
I need some ideas please.
On this point, Fruity, I agree.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Then again, many millionaires were made by "catching the falling knife" in CA and other bubble markets at the right time. 2 sides to every coins. We must run if different circles because the professionals I know don't agree with your statement either.
A better analogy: many millionaires were made by playing musical chairs. That is, until the music stopped. Those without a chair after the others were seated are known as the ones who bought more recently.

For every millionaire made in RE, there are many more made in the stock market or a business start-up. People like Don Lapre were millionaires too. It's a lot easier to be rich than people make it out to be. It all depends on your "moral flexibility" and how much you want to sacrifice on actually living life. I've worked on a derivatives trading floor with some who were making seven figure bonuses. Some put in 100 hour work weeks and burned out in a couple of years. Very nice chunk of change, but I really didn't want to live that way.

The scenario you described is commonly referred to as a Ponzi scheme. The early investors make money through the money that future investors contribute, until the system eventually breaks down because there is no new sucker to pass the buck to. There are many Ponzi schemes that disguise themselves as legitimate investments such as our Social Security contributions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponzi_scheme

Also, I realize that the article mentions what is NOT a Ponzi scheme (and a housing bubble is included). I would agree with this statement IF the asset was purchased all cash all the time. The machine that has facilitated the concept of homeownership as a get rich quick scheme (EZ credit in the form of no doc liar loans, neg am, extending terms out to 40 or 50 years, the Federal Reserve, fraudulent appraisals etc) absolutely creates a Ponzi scheme like atmosphere. REITs, careers in the mortgage industry, fly by night RE agents, etc etc. are all a part of the grand Ponzi scheme that is currently unraveling itself.

I expect very few millionaires to be made in RE the next couple of years.

Last edited by Frudy McRomson; 12-13-2007 at 08:12 AM..

Old 12-13-2007, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Young View Post
On this point, Fruity, I agree.
I was speaking about puns grown adults use.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:21 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,069,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post

Thats an understatement. These people who have/are losing their homes have to live somewhere. They will not be able to qualify for a home of there own no time soon. It will take a few years for them to rebuild their credit and not to mention come up with a decent down payment afterwards. Investors who are smart will see or already see that this is NOT going to be a get rich quick scenario. it's a long term money generator. Buy and hold will be the key. Holding property and renting them, tax write offs, and appreciation.

Here is a new one for that bumper sticker;

MoT = Money over Time....... and a house symbol next to it.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc View Post
Thats an understatement. These people who have/are losing their homes have to live somewhere. They will not be able to qualify for a home of there own no time soon. It will take a few years for them to rebuild their credit and not to mention come up with a decent down payment afterwards. Investors who are smart will see or already see that this is NOT going to be a get rich quick scenario. it's a long term money generator. Buy and hold will be the key. Holding property and renting them, tax write offs, and appreciation.

Here is a new one for that bumper sticker;

MoT = Money over Time....... and a house symbol next to it.
There will be PLENTY of unoccupied homes to rent out for these people. If done appropriately, no one really has to be homeless.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:52 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Quote:
A better analogy: many millionaires were made by playing musical chairs. That is, until the music stopped. Those without a chair after the others were seated are known as the ones who bought more recently.

For every millionaire made in RE, there are many more made in the stock market or a business start-up. People like Don Lapre were millionaires too. It's a lot easier to be rich than people make it out to be. It all depends on your "moral flexibility" and how much you want to sacrifice on actually living life. I've worked on a derivatives trading floor with some who were making seven figure bonuses. Some put in 100 hour work weeks and burned out in a couple of years. Very nice chunk of change, but I really didn't want to live that way.

The scenario you described is commonly referred to as a Ponzi scheme. The early investors make money through the money that future investors contribute, until the system eventually breaks down because there is no new sucker to pass the buck to. There are many Ponzi schemes that disguise themselves as legitimate investments such as our Social Security contributions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponzi_scheme

Also, I realize that the article mentions what is NOT a Ponzi scheme (and a housing bubble is included). I would agree with this statement IF the asset was purchased all cash all the time. The machine that has facilitated the concept of homeownership as a get rich quick scheme (EZ credit in the form of no doc liar loans, neg am, extending terms out to 40 or 50 years, the Federal Reserve, fraudulent appraisals etc) absolutely creates a Ponzi scheme like atmosphere. REITs, careers in the mortgage industry, fly by night RE agents, etc etc. are all a part of the grand Ponzi scheme that is currently unraveling itself.

I expect very few millionaires to be made in RE the next couple of years.
First of all, at one time in the 90's something like 78% of the self made millionaires in the US made it in real estate. If they were smart they diversified. Now about 37% of millionaire's did it with stocks and it is most common. However, not everyone can flip homes or be a stock trader and there are many ways to create wealth. Secondly, I never described or mentioned any methods so please don't put words in my mouth.

And next time you pop me a negative point for a comment I make, have the balls to sign your name. I can look at the time I got it, which correlates exactly to your response, and know you did it. Or better yet, don't pop me a negative point at all or call me a liar again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate