U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 06:03 PM

2,203 posts, read 8,959,464 times

Advertisements

So just to be on the safe side, advertise the location "close proximity to University". However, you can't say "within walking distance to the University", because that's a discriminatory statement.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 07:07 PM

1,177 posts, read 3,978,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post
So just to be on the safe side, advertise the location "close proximity to University". However, you can't say "within walking distance to the University", because that's a discriminatory statement.
Gretchen, when we get to 'parsing' like this is when I think we as a humans have taken common sense and thrown it over the deep end. What if we say within wheelchair distance, or a quarter of a mile, or three blocks? My point on the Fair Housing Laws is that it's enforcement has become so bureaucratized that common sense has become common silliness. I fully support the intent of the Fair Housing Laws and have always tried to be diligent in abiding by them. However, I think I'm getting a little to old to just accept the common silliness around it without at least expressing an opinion.. Maybe I've just become a grumpy old man.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:10 PM

10,574 posts, read 20,580,271 times
I will not touch the racism subject. If someone wants minority information (regardless of race) I won't provide it or tell them where to look period. Depending on how they approached the subject, I may choose not work with them at all. Normally I tell them once, and if it comes up again, I release them from the buyer agency and will not work with them. Too many problems can come from it and it's not worth the risk.

If I do work with that client, I treat them like I treat every client. I print a list of homes, they pick the ones they like, and we go look at them. If they want to make an offer on one, we write it up.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:11 PM

25,098 posts, read 37,731,229 times
There is no prohibition on saying "within walking distance of...."

However, what does "walking distance"? Again - subjective

Why not say "2 blocks from" or "1/2 mile from" - Objective

Old 12-13-2007, 07:14 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,080,193 times
Walking distance is one of those that some people say it's okay and some people say it's not. gbone, you can certainly say "a quarter of a mile, or three blocks."

While I agree that the implementation of the well-intentioned Fair Housing Act has reached a level of absolute absurdity, unless there is a change in the law, it still behooves us to comply with it, regardless of whether or not it is absurd. Fair Housing violations are costly even if you manage to keep your license.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:18 PM

Specifics are always best.

Why shouldn't you say perfect for students or more commonly "Perfect for first time home buyers."? It's a legal pitfall. If a first time home buyer buys a home, then has to structure issues that cost major bucks to fix they don't have, was it really "perfect for first time buyers." It opens up the agent and the seller to lawsuits because it was "perfect" for the first time home buyer but once they couldn't afford it, it's not really "perfect" anymore.

Another one I cringe at is "Great investment property."

Old 12-13-2007, 07:57 PM
Status: "Making the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 29 days ago)

40,775 posts, read 70,672,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Specifics are always best.

Why shouldn't you say perfect for students or more commonly "Perfect for first time home buyers."? It's a legal pitfall. If a first time home buyer buys a home, then has to structure issues that cost major bucks to fix they don't have, was it really "perfect for first time buyers." It opens up the agent and the seller to lawsuits because it was "perfect" for the first time home buyer but once they couldn't afford it, it's not really "perfect" anymore.

Another one I cringe at is "Great investment property."

OK, Brandon, I'll bite:
What is the issue with "great investment property?"

Old 12-13-2007, 08:03 PM

25,098 posts, read 37,731,229 times
Why is it perfect for "first time homebuyers"? Why not 2nd time - 100th time??

It is a subjective statement

Describe the property - not the person

BTW: from a FHA standpoint, "great investment property" is not a problem

Old 12-13-2007, 08:23 PM

8,884 posts, read 18,948,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
My company had someone from Fair Housing come in a few months ago and we had to attend a mandatory meeting with them.

My complaint was that when I have clients with kids, they always ask about "family friendly neighborhoods" and yet if kids are mentioned this goes against the Fair Housing.

Here is another one that I disagreed with:

In Raleigh, we have alot of townhouses and condos around the North Carolina State University area. Typically, the listing agents will list these as "perfect for students". Fair Housing says thats illegal!

They told me that I can disagree but I can't break the law!

Vicki
As someone else mentioned, "students" is not a protected class by the Federal government, but it might a protected class in your area. Check to be sure on that one, because it's not illegal here to say "student housing" or to deny rental property to students.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:29 PM

"Great investment property!"

I think you would all agree that we live in a very litigious society? Now lets say some naive HGTV viewer decides to get up off the couch to flip a house. They go pick it out and find one being advertised as a "great investment property!" They excitedly buy it without representation and things don't go well after closing. Maybe they didn't get a home inspection and there are issues, maybe it's mold, maybe they overpaid...whatever. Maybe they lose the life savings, can't make the payments and their investment goes into foreclosure. They've lost the savings, ruined their credit, and are mad at the world.

Now for them that wasn't a "great" investment but they are mad. It's someone's fault they lost money but not theirs so they go talk to a slick attorney who points out that the agent told them in writing it was a "great investment". That slick attorney can drag us through court. We may win, we may not, we'll probably settle, but since everyone thinks agents make a lot of money they'll go after us. Could it happen? Maybe, why risk it with poor wording? We do after all represent our sellers legal interests as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate