Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 06:31 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,431,406 times

Advertisements

It's a moot point now but I do wonder as we were told to be far away during the inspection. Yet, things that came up on the report could have been explained if the seller had been there. Examples, inspector didn't know a thing about how the solar hot water worked and had to explain afterwards how it worked with the regular tank and how the water temperature is controlled. Another one was inspector had no idea why there was a roll of wiring laying in the rafter above the electric box or where it went so the buyer wants it out. It's there because the sunroom addition was prewired in case in the future there was the interest if adding a room air conditioner. It's actually to their benefit potentially it is there. I know I can see the problem with the seller there, defending every little thing the home inspector finds fault with, but there are some legitimate items that make sense if known. FWIW, we are dealing with first time home buyers who are driving us nuts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 06:42 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
When you have unusual things like that about your house, best thing to do is to provide the information to your agent to provide to the buyer's agent in advance of the inspection - that's how I've handled such things in the past. The buyers are hopefully attending the inspection, along with their agent, and they will not feel comfortable discussing things with the inspector if the seller is there.

Don't let the buyers drive you nuts. You can't control them and their understandable angst (this is a HUGE purchase and they don't know what they're doing), but you can control your own reaction to them by remembering that they ARE first time home buyers who don't know what they're doing (as you no doubt were once yourself) and it's nothing personal. Just provide the information you mention above in response to their requests and see if that changes their request.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:42 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Once after surgery, I 1had to be there as I was still on bed rest. Most uncomfortable, as I could hear the buyer's rep saying things like "don't' forget the xxx, she doesn't want to be cheated."- what a PITA! So insulting.

That inspector didn't know how a light switch with 2 switches for 1 fixture worked and reported it as broken.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:48 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
It's a moot point now but I do wonder as we were told to be far away during the inspection. Yet, things that came up on the report could have been explained if the seller had been there. Examples, inspector didn't know a thing about how the solar hot water worked and had to explain afterwards how it worked with the regular tank and how the water temperature is controlled. Another one was inspector had no idea why there was a roll of wiring laying in the rafter above the electric box or where it went so the buyer wants it out. It's there because the sunroom addition was prewired in case in the future there was the interest if adding a room air conditioner. It's actually to their benefit potentially it is there. I know I can see the problem with the seller there, defending every little thing the home inspector finds fault with, but there are some legitimate items that make sense if known. FWIW, we are dealing with first time home buyers who are driving us nuts!
Both of those are "explanable" if there is a record of city permits and inspections for them.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:54 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Once after surgery, I 1had to be there as I was still on bed rest. Most uncomfortable, as I could hear the buyer's rep saying things like "don't' forget the xxx, she doesn't want to be cheated."- what a PITA! So insulting.

That inspector didn't know how a light switch with 2 switches for 1 fixture worked and reported it as broken.
One light switch with two switches for one light? You don't seem to be talking about 3-way switching, so how does that work?

From the point of view of a buyer, the inspector is the only ally in the process. Everyone else has a vested interest in getting the buyer to buy the house.

The only person who gets his money whether the house sells or not is the inspector.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:03 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,431,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Both of those are "explanable" if there is a record of city permits and inspections for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post

We had both of those in various ways. After the inspection we thought two lights were out in a ceiling fan. DH took it all apart to realize it was a three way switch on the chain, that we never use, and they had left it place for only two lights on. As for permits, after the third time asking if the sunroom was permitted, and we saying yes, we sent the link to the design/build architect who did it for his online portrait gallery, showing our sunroom.

I do get it, and do need the reminder not to let them get to me. My problem is the last time we sold a home was 35 years ago, and we've always bought new construction. The whole process with home inspections is as new to me as it is to them.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:04 AM

110 posts, read 229,529 times
I realize you are asking this from the seller's perspective, but my wife and I recently had an experience with this that taught me the need to evaluate every situation apart from the normal 'rules of thumb.'

We purchased a house less than 2 months ago. When the time came for the inspection my wife accompanied the inspector. When the realtor met them at the home to let them in, it was discovered that the sellers were there and planned to stay. If it had been me, I probably would have been upset. I don't know that I would have said anything, but it would have definitely tainted my outlook and experience.

My wife, however, rolled with the unexpected and chatted with the sellers in addition to being there with the inspector in his rounds. It was a bit hectic for her as she was visiting with the sellers in addition to following around the inspector. This was our (her) first direct contact with the sellers. They were very nice. Since she was nice to them, they agreed to leave a lot of things behind that we were interested in. When it came time to evaluate the inspection results, we were able to do that with a better understanding of what the sellers' situation was.

Fast forwarding to the end, that rapport resulted in many beneficial things for us throughout the overall transaction and also resulted in our being able to sell them the house we were vacating!

If I were the one present that day, my reaction to the sellers based on various things I've read here and elsewhere would have probably not been positive. I'm glad my wife went as she handled it much better.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:09 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,133,264 times
So you bought their house and they bought yours? that is a bit odd hey?

Old 06-10-2014, 09:21 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,316,272 times
The sellers hung around during my 5 hour inspection on a recent house purchase.

It was a little off putting at first but the lemonade from lemons approach always prevails.

I spent hours going back and forth between the inspector and the owners, by the end of the day I knew the flaws with the house, the owners were on the phone with contractors, I had loads of gossip about the neighborhood, I knew almost all the plants in garden, where the sprinkler valves were and what critters to expect in the back yard and when. I was given a tutorial on pool maintenance, tree pruning and water softner salt.

It was a looong day but like most things, it's what you make of it.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:30 AM

896 posts, read 1,140,273 times
We sold in October 2013. As sellers we were asked to be present. This surprised me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate