Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 06:03 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times

Advertisements

^^^ True enough...

My only thought is the professionals, almost to a last one, recommended a redo even if it was only painting everything white...

It was very satisfying to be in contract the first Sunday showing with multiple back-up offers and setting a new record high price for the neighborhood.

Of course it didn't hurt that Real Estate is very popular in general here and the home is in a sought after location.

I like the Shaker and Craftsman look very much... just about everything except painted cabinets unless period correct circa the 1920's... which I had once and also resisted all the advice to demo... set a top price when I sold that home back in 2004... unmolested and like going back to the 20's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 06:42 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
I know this is gong to sound anal, but....you are trying to sell your house ASAP, for the best price, right?

After you clean and update your flooring, however you choose, get some of those disposable foot cover things, like you see them wear in hospitals, etc. Keep some by each door and make sure everyone in the family wears them every time they go out and in. You paid a lot to update those floors, now, keep them looking new!

Also, I knew someone who hired a maid service for every day! Yes, it was expensive, but, she did sell the house quickly! The service came after the family left and did a daily cleaning---make beds, dishes, dust, bathrooms, trash, then, a heavy clean on weekends. That way, the house was always looking in tip-top shape, and lessened the stress on the family. Think of it like a hotel room with daily maid service.

Personally, I've never lived in a home while selling, it just never worked out that way for me, thank goodness! I couldn't even begin to imagine such stress!

Another "tip" if not already mentioned---get a storage unit for things you might want to keep but can do without for awhile. This is also a good place to store valuables, just don't label as such. Don't write "Grandma's jewelry" on the box Instead, I just numbered the boxes, then kept separate records of what was in each box. Also, make sure to number/label each box on all 6 sides, and big red arrows pointing up!

Old 07-09-2014, 07:19 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,843,959 times
I thought of something small but important as someone who just moved into a house: PLEASE make sure to include a trash can. Thats not related to inside minimum but its something trivial. Just make sure everything is taken care of outside!

Old 07-09-2014, 08:12 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
I thought of something small but important as someone who just moved into a house: PLEASE make sure to include a trash can. Thats not related to inside minimum but its something trivial. Just make sure everything is taken care of outside!
???

What kind of trash can? If you mean the big ones in the garage, those would not go with the house. I might end up leaving mine if my buyer wants because I'm hoping to be homeless for several months during new construction (we have local family to stay with) and I don't see the point of paying to put trash cans into storage. But if I were moving directly into my new home, I'd definitely take the ones I have and save the money of buying new ones.

Of course this is theoretical because my place isn't listed quite yet - I'm aiming for two weeks from now but still have some work to do first.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:24 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
Every place I've been the city provides trash can, recycle can and lawn/garden clippings can.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:34 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,300,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
It is always a gamble when decorating for on speculation for someone unknown.

Safe bet is to take what you have and make the best of it...

At the risk of sparking the wrath of those that detest Oak... here is a picture of the 20 year old Kitchen a Realtor said to demo because it was dated

Several weeks later the home sold for the highest price ever in the area and the buyers love the country style.

Not bad for a 1950 California Rancher...
I agree with your assessment as it relates to selling a house. In the picture, your kitchen looks clean, bright and well cared-for. The cabinets, best I can tell, appear to be solid wood and good quality. I would not have demo'd this kitchen either. Way too risky & expensive because like you said....big gamble on speculative decorating. I'm sure the buyers either (a) love oak; (b) appreciate the quality of the cabinets and plan to paint them or some other treatment; or (c) want to gut it and appreciate the fact that you just left it alone so they could do whatever they want!

For a realtor to tell you to gut that kitchen was very silly, IMHO. But realtors are all about a quick sale, so they will tell you to do just about anything to increase those results. After all, it isn't their money to spend! When I sold my last house, I couldn't believe all the things my agent's head broker told me to do. He said I should replace the parquet flooring in my family room b/c it was too dark & dated, which was big....18x20 or so. That would have been cost prohibitive to me, even if I had done cheaper engineered hardwood. So I had a wood floor professional come in and refinish the parquet! No, it isn't done often and probably can only be done once on that type of flooring, but for around $300 he sanded it and put down just a clear poly on it and it brightened the room tremendously!! And sold for full asking price, after a small bidding war. But the broker had told me, "no, no you can't refinish parquet and besides it's dated". Guess I showed him! He also told me to replace or remove the carpet on the stairway. I simply had it steam cleaned and I guess the buyers didn't care!

So.....I"d be leery of any big $$$ redo's any realtor recommended, unless soemthing was clearly broken, worn out, not working, etc. They only have a vested interest in your house selling. Doesn't matter to them how much $$$ out of your pocket you spend on your own.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:49 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
A few minutes from me there is a very Historic Home that people might recognize because movies were shot there.

It has some of the most beautiful wood work and at one time much was updated by painting over it... people today are aghast when they see one room without the painted wood and the others that have been painted... paint covers a lot sins... and in this case painting over the wood was a crime.

Fortunate for me the buyers loved the home and appreciated the country kitchen, solid wood doors and moldings and Baldwin lock-sets...

Old 07-09-2014, 11:18 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Here's my two cents. Talk to your realtor. If he agrees about the older carpeting, then replace it. You do these things to attract the maximum number of buyers. There are a few who might not care about crummy carpet for whatever reason, but most buyers will care. So, get professional advice, then if he or she agrees, get the new stuff. I like new carpet for another reason. Old carpet has an odor. It might not be noticeable, but it can subtly give off an odor. So, new carpet for the places that are bedraggled is a house freshener in more than one way, IMO.

I agree about curb appeal, and keeping the yard neat.

I also think that if you have wallpaper up, you could strip it off and repaint.

On personal photos, I think that having a few photos in the home of happy smiling family members leaves a good impression. Sure, take down the family shrine, but leave displayed a few tasteful snaps of happy people. (I did this, and I sold a house.) I also agree that too much stuff on the walls is bad. But a few tasteful things are appropriate.

Above all, the place should be utterly clean. Fresh paint is a big help too.

Good luck!

Old 07-14-2014, 04:09 PM

86 posts, read 256,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Here's my two cents. Talk to your realtor. If he agrees about the older carpeting, then replace it. You do these things to attract the maximum number of buyers. There are a few who might not care about crummy carpet for whatever reason, but most buyers will care. So, get professional advice, then if he or she agrees, get the new stuff. I like new carpet for another reason. Old carpet has an odor. It might not be noticeable, but it can subtly give off an odor. So, new carpet for the places that are bedraggled is a house freshener in more than one way, IMO.

I agree about curb appeal, and keeping the yard neat.

I also think that if you have wallpaper up, you could strip it off and repaint.

On personal photos, I think that having a few photos in the home of happy smiling family members leaves a good impression. Sure, take down the family shrine, but leave displayed a few tasteful snaps of happy people. (I did this, and I sold a house.) I also agree that too much stuff on the walls is bad. But a few tasteful things are appropriate.

Above all, the place should be utterly clean. Fresh paint is a big help too.

Good luck!
I agree about the carpets. Houses with stained old smelly carpets are a turn off and buyers wonder how much it's going to cost them to fix. Don't rely on their agent or their common sense. It's already a big purchase, they don't want to add the price of new flooring or they will immediately deduct it off the list price even if you already have.

You know what? I am glad you sold your house.

HOWEVER.....

Recently, I sold mine, too, by following my own advice a few posts up. I had 3 showings per day from day 1 through day 9, multiple offers and accepted a bid higher than the comps on day 9. The neighborhood is not super desirable or anything special either. Seriously, that is why I can't wait to vacate. lol

Again, keep in mind: putting any $ into the house may attract more buyers, but they are not going to pay more than the comps unless your house is full of expensive high-end upgrades. So more than likely, any money you put out is a sunk cost. That means you will not see it back in the final sale price.

Just make it super clean, super neutral, and as if anybody - especially them - could move in that day and all they had to do is put up their own pictures to make it their home. That's why no family pictures hanging around.

If you want more reality? People are still stupidly prejudice in this day and age. Their money is all that you care about, but they may have some messed up issue if you don't look like them or whatever. Sure, we all want to believe the best of people and I find it sad, but why take the chance of missing a viable offer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate