Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 09:41 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HV_Mom View Post
I would think that putting those signs on my lawn violates my free speech by someone else imposing theirs on me.
It does.

The Supreme Court decision applies only to political signs used by the resident of that property; it does not allow political signs to be placed on your property by someone else. It also lets stand municipal ordinances for sign placement so long as it’s not an outright ban. Municipalities are still free under federal law to set time, duration, size and location standards that apply to all.

Even when a municipal easement or municipal owned property attached to the frontage of a private residence is involved, because the homeowner is responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of that property, the homeowner has the say as to what is placed on the property even though it’s not technically theirs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 09:55 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequon View Post
In our neighborhood there are a couple of homes for sale. The agents are rather aggressive in their for sale signs. These signs are put everywhere and I don't like it. The problem is, one of the agents put a sign on my property (my lawn). I could not take that. Not in my yard. I pulled it out and dumped it in the trash. Next day, the sign came back. I pulled it out and left it on the lawn. Next day, it came back on. I folded it (the sign was hard, double cardboard paper) several times, made damages and punctured it with the stick, making it clear that this was not welcomed in my property. Maybe they got the idea? It didn't come back.

Then there was an open house. They put the "open house" sign on my lawn. I was frustrated, but I just decided to allow it just for the open house, hoping that the agent would take out the sign after the open house. No, it still stayed there the next day. I pulled and throw it out on the curb side. It came back again!

This is crazy. Real estate agents are supposed to be a professional. They should know what they can do and cannot. I don't know how they got the audacity to do this. Can I file a complaint somewhere somehow? Or, am I being a jerk here?

We are in northern Virginia (Washington DC suburb), if this makes a difference.
I would just call the agent and ask politely to stop placing yard signs in my yard. If it continues,call his broker. If it STILL CONTINUES Have all your friends start calling him and schedule appointments to view his listings. Just don't show up. See he can't not show up because he doesn't know who is and is not a real customer calling. Burner phones are cheap.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:19 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
As far as Municipalities having rules - be careful about political signs. Our town regulates 'temporary signs' but we cannot stop Political signs because of a Supreme Court decision that allows them under free speech. We went through reworking our sign ordinance a year or so ago and were told by the Town Attorney that political signs were almost impossible to regulate.
I don't know about your area but if somebody sticks a sign in MY lawn it is gone. I don't care if it's a real estate sign or a political sign or a burning cross, it's outta here.

You wanna put a political sign on YOUR lawn, fine, but I might call my HOA and ask if they can do that, and complain if they can't.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:24 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Hey I'll kick this topic up a notch!

Back in my old neighborhood I often went on exercise walks. I should resume that, I intend to, I'm working out my issues...

In Los Angeles it is unlawful to post any sign on public property like telephone poles, street signs, etc. I was unmerciful in my walks around MY neighborhood, and I tore down every single sign I ever saw. If it was strapped too tightly I walked home and came back with a razor. If it was too high I came back with my car and stood on the tailgate to reach the signs.

I like to think I was part of a neighborhood patrol keeping our neighborhood looking nice, and I doubt if any of my neighbors minded. I like to think some of them appreciated the signs gone.

I still sometimes step out of my car at a red light and rip down some advertising sign and leave it on the ground. You might call it littering, but in my own mind I was simply moving the litter from the lamp post or street sign to the ground. Moving it, not creating it.

The law is solid behind me, you cannot post such signs on public property in Los Angeles. Commercial, political, whatever.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:45 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
I was selling my own home and had it listed in the paper and borrowed directional open-house signs to use from 1-4 Sunday afternoon.

They were all placed in the street and I had 3 of them.

I saw one guy come out and throw my borrowed sign into the traffic lane and made a B-line to get it.

He was cussing me out and how he hates Realtors...

I interrupted and said you don't remember me... I'm your neighbor that found your cat last year and I am not a Realtor, Broker or Agent... just a neighbor trying to sell my home by owner.

I could see he was getting embarrassed as heck and then his wife came out and said hello and asked her husband if he didn't recognize me. She was so apologetic that I felt sorry for her!

Some people just walk around for something to be mad at and act without thinking...

Never want to give a crazy an excuse because who knows what they will do.

Anyway, I never put a sign anywhere but on the side of the public road...

I imagine if the sign is truly on your property it can be considered a gift from the sign fairy...

If on public property it must be temporary and not impeded traffic or create a safety issue.

The for sale posts make great flower pot holders!

Old 07-01-2014, 05:23 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I don't know about your area but if somebody sticks a sign in MY lawn it is gone. I don't care if it's a real estate sign or a political sign or a burning cross, it's outta here.

You wanna put a political sign on YOUR lawn, fine, but I might call my HOA and ask if they can do that, and complain if they can't.
I wasn't talking about putting political signs in someone elses yard. I meant in the right of way that you consider your front yard.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:01 AM

5,663 posts, read 10,736,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequon View Post
The problem is, one of the agents put a sign on my property (my lawn). I pulled it out and dumped it in the trash. Next day, the sign came back. I pulled it out and left it on the lawn. Next day, it came back on.

Then there was an open house. They put the "open house" sign on my lawn...it still stayed there the next day. I pulled and throw it out on the curb side. It came back again!
OP is not talking about the right of way or political signs. This agent is being obnoxious, inconsiderate, and unprofessional. A one time occurrence merits a phone call. Repeated unprofessional behavior is another story. If a Realtor can't be relied upon to respect property rights, who can be?

In fact, when I think about it, I wonder if this isn't a prank by a neighbor...

Old 07-01-2014, 08:15 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
In fact, when I think about it, I wonder if this isn't a prank by a neighbor...
That reminds me--I once had a house listed for sale which was next to a vacant house. I received a phone call one day from a guy who sounded obviously hostile. He kept asking pointed questions about the house for sale and it was apparent that he wasn't talking about the house I had listed (I told him the address for the correct house). Turns out, some of the neighborhood kids must have switched the sign to his property and he thought that someone was trying to pull a scam by selling his vacant house from under him. I assured him that wasn't the case, but I don't know if he ever fully believed me.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:38 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
That reminds me--I once had a house listed for sale which was next to a vacant house. I received a phone call one day from a guy who sounded obviously hostile. He kept asking pointed questions about the house for sale and it was apparent that he wasn't talking about the house I had listed (I told him the address for the correct house). Turns out, some of the neighborhood kids must have switched the sign to his property and he thought that someone was trying to pull a scam by selling his vacant house from under him. I assured him that wasn't the case, but I don't know if he ever fully believed me.
It was a popular prank in my area a few years ago for teenagers to gather up a bunch of real estate signs and put them in the yard of someone (like toilet papering the house). You'd drive by the house and there would be 40 signs in their yard.

Also, in my area, we have what is called "the sign boneyard". It is where unclaimed signs end up. So, for example, the signs that are improperly placed, that the city takes away from public roads (mostly open house tent signs), or that HOAs collect from situations like the OP has, or that people call in (when they have 40 signs in their yard), all end up there. So if you are missing signs, you can go check the boneyard to see if any ended up there.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:07 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,987,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
It was a popular prank in my area a few years ago for teenagers to gather up a bunch of real estate signs and put them in the yard of someone (like toilet papering the house). You'd drive by the house and there would be 40 signs in their yard.
HA! I remember doing that as a kid over 20 years ago!! We would gather signs from all over the neighborhood and then make a giant house of cards if you will, at a mutual friends house. I just wish we had digital cameras back then. I would love to have taken some pictures of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate