Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 04:39 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,453,630 times

Advertisements

Here's a scenario for you to consider. What if you hired the "friend" and she did NOT do a good job for you? Then you risk having a strain on the friendship AND a financial loss, plus stresses throughout the process.

If you hire the person you KNOW will do a good job based on your own direct experience with her, you have far less to lose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 09:34 PM

147 posts, read 211,744 times
Agents depend on relationships, referrals and previous clients to build their business. It certainly sounds like you are in a tough position. You might want to consider what their real strengths are and what your specific needs are at this point in time. For example, one might be a great buyers agent where the other is a listing star. One may be better at selling luxury homes. One may be a problem solver who finds solution for real estate challenges. I would never un-friend someone because they did not choose me, especially if they chose a Realtor with whom they had prior experience. Now if you went online and picked the first realtor you found, that would be a different story. Bottom line, if your friend is really a friend, your relationship will not change. Yes, she might be hurt at first but if she loves you, she'll get over it and help. You could also ask if one would be willing to pay the other a referral fee. This way you help them both.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:18 PM

5,574 posts, read 6,498,880 times
"Loyal".....now that is a word not heard much any more. I believe in being loyal to others who have proven themselves to me, you know what you are getting, not hoping that the new friend/business "partner" will work on your behalf the way you expect.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:26 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
I went through situations like this. Our first realtor was a friend, and we thought she would do a great job for us, but actually she did not. I told her that I was listing with another realtor and explained why. (I had a reason for her that made sense.) Unfortunately we had to choose another, third realtor, several years later, after not being able to sell. In this case, it came down to two realtors, and we talked to both of them about how each one would market our home, and various other things.

We chose the realtor that we felt would do the best job for us, who had the best communication skills, and who seemed the most stable emotionally. In other words we considered carefully who we wanted to work with, and who seemed to know the most about selling our sort of property.

We chose well. The third time was the charm for us.

You need to decide on the basis of who is likely to do the best job for you. This is a business decision.

There is also another aspect. The friend might become privy to too much personal info about you for your comfort. There is that, especially is she is gossipy.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:08 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
the agent often and wrongly gets blamed if contracts fail

ive lost a couple good friends being their agent,,,
a good agent has good people skills, that doesn't mean clients do, and when emotions and money are in the mix, friends or no friends you get thrown under the bus

tell your friend, you'd much rather have her as a friend than an agent

but if you do this don't be asking her casual advice - id avoid the subject altogether

Old 07-10-2014, 08:11 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
I learned through the years to NEVER rent or have a business relationship with a friend or family member. I simply do not do it anymore. Yes it has made some people mad but I rather have them mad than later have them mad and lose my money.
If your "friend" is terminating relationships because you won't use her for your business deals then she is not much of a friend. What you have is a conditional friendship. I don't want my friends to know that much about my personal life. They know some things simply because it's out in the open.
But in-depth knowledge tends to create strife and jealousy especially if I'm financially better off than they are. There will be a possible underlying sense of resentment. So I just don't do it. You want to be mad ok be mad

Old 07-10-2014, 10:45 AM

179 posts, read 247,885 times
I know about 6 brokers, I can't do business with all of them. Anyone who is going to be angered over not being chosen to represent you is pretty short-sighted, unprofessional and not a very good friend. IF you feel like you owe her any explanation, you could say. "Hey, I'm going to be doing some real estate business in the coming months and I wanted you to know that I'm using XXXX. I've worked with her in the past and we have a good history together. I hope you understand that this has nothing to do with our friendhsip. I just wanted you to know before hand."

Surely she can't expect everyone she befriends to drop all previous business relationships in favor of her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate