Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 01:20 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times

Advertisements

Have a first for me...

Home is in Escrow with backup offers... all inspections went well... roof, pest, home and sewer.

The seller has requested the $200 of pest work be done and $150 of mechanical... one trim board for pest and two roof caps for water heater and furnace vents.

Seller also added that play structure be removed... Owners paid 10k for it and it is well done and a selling feature to both backup offers.

Seller is happy to remove, but, not until after Escrow Closes because the two backup offers are contingent on the play structure remaining.

This is the first time I had a request after inspections to remove something that is attached, anchored and costly to purchase.

I'm thinking it won't be a problem and can see the seller's point... they paid a lot for it and their back up offers want it...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 08-05-2014 at 08:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 01:26 PM

245 posts, read 291,764 times
is there a buyer in this situation? or just a seller and an owner?

Old 07-11-2014, 01:27 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
There is a time for allowances in the form of Closing Costs, and this may be the time. Let the buyer remove it after they own it and make a contribution to that.

Under these circumstances, I would want a pretty nice wad of non-refundable money to tear out a value-adding feature when others want it.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:59 PM

24,490 posts, read 17,226,594 times
I wouldn't remove that swing set until the 11th hour of the sale. It would be terrible to take it down and then have the deal fall apart.
I recently found a swing set for my niece on Craigslist. I went to the house, the owner helped me take it down and load it and 2 trips later I was done.
A nice used swing set is still worth a lot of money and people will flock to buy it at a good price. If you put an ad for FREE there will be a stampede.

I would wait until all the contigencies have been met then wory about removing the set.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:10 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
Check with a local supplier of similar systems regarding the cost to remove and/or reinstall it (they may even want to buy it). Then, tell the 'buyer' that the seller will pay to have the play structure removed, but, only after the sale is complete (for the above reasons). Ask for a reasonable amount of post-sale time (15-30-days) to have it removed, with the option to sell it (or donate it to a church/childcare facility). If agreed, list the item on CL, with the stipulation that it will be available for removal, after the property sale is complete).

Old 07-11-2014, 02:14 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
I think the Buyer is requesting the play set be removed from the contract - per the lender.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:16 PM

Could be... I know the buyer wants the $3500 chicken coop that is made like a mini home from heart redwood... it was excluded and noted on the MLS and not attached to anything.
They did an addendum and will "Buy" it for $100

The play structure was part of the marketing and listed on the MLS and pictured on the flyers.

It has it's own fenced area with very expensive "Rubber" bark... no splinters... swings, slide, fort, with play and climb... all professionally bought and installed.

It's one of those chicken and the egg situations...

Chances are everything will go as planned... not counting my chickens before they hatch.

Just came as a surprise and removing the footings will need to be discussed.

Craig's list is an option...

Supplier and church said too much liability on used equipment... maybe this is what seller is thinking?

Old 07-11-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by br1n View Post
is there a buyer in this situation? or just a seller and an owner?
Broker owner selling.

Buyer represented by buyer's agent from another firm.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:45 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
We as sellers had a hot tub removed once. The buyers did not want it. It's the same kind of thing.

When we moved, the play set company that installed ours sent out their guy to move our playset from the old house to the new. Is there a chance these sellers want to take it with them?

Its value only exists if the buyer wants it. I'd still wait to remove it, though, till all the t's were crossed, etc

Old 07-11-2014, 03:53 PM

There new place isn't really set up for it and the kids are 5 year's older now.

Seller's wife is determined she can sell it... I'm just wondering what happens if it goes to the wire and still there...

I don't like open ended or unfinished business... sometimes the smallest thing can sour a deal.

If it wasn't for the back up offers wanting it... I'm sure it would be in the process of removal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate