U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 07:54 AM

1,071 posts, read 987,462 times

Advertisements

I've had my house listed on Zillow as a "Make Me Move" for about 1.5 years. We are planning to move and sell within a year or two anyway but I just wanted to see if there was any interest.

I didn't hear anything until over the weekend. Someone emailed me because they were interested in my house and wanted to see it as they wanted a three bedroom house and decent land (a bit rare in my town) and I guess researched enough that they were interested. I researched the name of the person who contacted me and they look like a legit person who owns a house on the other side of the same town but they have a smaller house and smaller land. I told them we aren't ready to sell yet and show the house but when we are, I would contact them directly before we put the house on the market. They seemed appreciative of that and that and said they would wait. I didn't tell them any details about the house or anything that isn't already on Zillow.

Was that the right approach? Has anyone had success selling a house via Make Me Move on Zillow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 09:11 AM

940 posts, read 1,002,487 times
If you have it listed, you should be ready to show and sell.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:37 AM

14,297 posts, read 17,491,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gray horse View Post
If you have it listed, you should be ready to show and sell.
It's NOT listed.
Alert potential buyers what you would sell your home for without officially putting it on the market.

(sorry about the bold and underline - cut and pasted and I can't get it out)

To the OP: I heard of several Make Me Move success stories in 2006-7 or so. And if you google 'make me move success stories' you see lots of threads on lots of forums about- this topic. Seems like most are from 2006-2009. Seems to have died since, with the exception of a few surprises.

Personally, I wouldn't put it on Make Me Move unless I was ready to go. And I did do that when we sold in 2012, but the house was under contract in 8 days, so I removed it.

Who knows? What's the harm in letting it play out? All I would say is that you should STILL have a listing realtor, but maybe limit the commission to 3% for your agent if you find the buyer and there is no buyer's agent.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:42 AM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
13,545 posts, read 14,037,847 times
I think you should have shown the potential buyer the house. Maybe strike up a friendship and keep in touch.

As it is you threw away a sales lead.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:40 PM

86 posts, read 188,579 times
Ok, here's my take - and remember it's free, so make of it what you will....

If you already have somebody interested like that, it appears legit and you are ready to sell: Call a real estate lawyer. I don't see the need for an agent. An agent lists the house, coordinates showings, fills out [ notice I didn't say 'write' I said fill-out] a standard contract that their office uses and has everybody sign it before it gets sent off to a lawyer [ lawyer is not needed in every state, but is more critical than an agent when it's time to check over a contract.]

You already have a buyer. You both have spoken. At that point, an agent becomes less relevant, imo. Lawyers have contracts you can fill out and will help you do that and believe it or not, it's a LOT cheaper for several hours of their time than the % of the sales price the agents take. They check it over, make sure everything looks good and keeps you from the legal pitfalls. Sorry to the agents out there, but agents may know the pitfalls, but most are not qualified to prevent them.

If they want to use a buyers agent, alert them that they will have to incur the cost and make sure you attorney puts that into the contract. Don't flinch and be nice, they came to you WANTING your house badly enough to contact you already knowing your price which I'm sure was a much higher price than you thought someone would take seriously considering you have heard nothing for 1.5 years. It may be the highest price you will get for the place. They second they have a buyer's agent to pull up the comps, they will expect you to drop the price to that. You certainly don't want to be paying for their agent to tell them that.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:35 AM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
13,545 posts, read 14,037,847 times
^^^^^ good advice

Old 07-15-2014, 02:31 PM

323 posts, read 567,342 times
We sold our house this spring through a Zillow Make Me Move contact. We also bought our new house through a Make Me Move posting. I'm guessing that doesn't happen too often. Both transactions were pretty painless as far as real estate goes. For the sale transaction, we worked with the buyer's agent and enlisted an agent of our own to handle the paperwork and negotiations, but we did not pay a regular commission rate. Just a fraction of a percent.

For the purchase of our new property, we just used a local real estate attorney. I wouldn't necessarily recommend this unless you are familiar with the process and comfortable handing the negotiations, contingencies, etc. yourself.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:58 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,972,766 times
I check make me move on Zillow to see if there is something that would interest my clients. But what I have found is listings from 2006 that are still 20% higher than market value.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:33 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,952,246 times
I have my house listed on Make Me Move, and I have had one serious lead from it. The family came to look at my house and really liked it. But their decision to move was contingent upon the husband getting a new job, which was closer to our house. When they came to see the house, they seemed to think that it was a sure thing that he would get it, but he just had a few more formalities that he had to get through (ie a drug test, a physical). They indicated that they wanted to buy our house and would let us know when he got the job offer. Turns out he didn't get the job, so they didn't buy our house. He took a different job, in another state, instead. If they had wanted to buy it, we would have just hired an attorney to do the deal rather than an agent.

We still have it on Make Me Move. We had one person express interest in rent-to-own, but that is not something we are interested in at this time. And we have had several cold calls from realtors asking if we would like to list it for real. I already have interviewed realtors and picked who I think we will use when we do end up listing it. We are waiting though, because the realtor advised us to wait another year or two in order to get a better price since we are not really in a big rush to sell (right now we are still competing against the builder in our neighborhood). I'd be happy to sell it now though, if someone wants it.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:08 AM

1 posts, read 6,582 times
Default Sold our house with Make Me Move

We actually just sold our house using "make me move"
I was honestly shocked, had 1 couple email me, they toured, and off we went
Closed 30 days later without paying $1 in commissions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or