Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2007, 07:00 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!

We had our home listed for sale for 6 months with a reputable agent with a reputable firm. We did everything that she asked us to do (pricing, etc.). We de-cluttered our house, rented a storage unit, took down personal photos, etc. Our listing expired at the end of October without selling.

After our listing expired we decided to stay in our home another 2 years and try to sell then. We aren't in a rush to sell; we are interested in downsizing but it can wait. We emptied out our storage unit and are now back "living" in our home. It isn't horribly cluttered; but it is a functioning home; if you know what I mean.

Today the agent called us and said that someone from out of state that had been working with an agent in her office has finally sold their home. They had seen our house online via information that the realtor had sent them back in Sep-Oct. They will be in town next week and want to see our home.

What would you do? We told her that we would be amenable to a one time showing. Would you show it as it is? I really don't want to go to a lot of trouble de-cluttering. We keep our home clean and organized. We do have boxes in the garage and basement, etc. By the way, we are going to sign one time showing paperwork with our former agent. I look forward to any advice you can give me. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 07:09 PM

506 posts, read 2,280,119 times
Keep it as is , just keep it clean and organized.....Good luck...............

Old 12-19-2007, 07:30 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,210,275 times
Tidy it up a bit
these buyers will understand that
#1 it isn't on the market anymore and
#2 it is the holiday season

Old 12-19-2007, 07:38 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,315,094 times
I agree-kewep it as is but tidy up a bit. make sure the home is clean and take most of the stuff off of the kitchen counter...to me a clean and de-cluttered kitchen and bath are key. make sure the beds are made and what not, but that is all i would really do...i wouldn't be packing stuff in boxes and putting it back in storage. if they make an offer-GREAT-if they don't, then you already have decided to be off of the market. Good Luck!

Old 12-19-2007, 07:42 PM

26 posts, read 102,634 times
I also agree. I'd tidy your home as if you were having company over.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:03 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Thanks All!!!

Old 12-20-2007, 04:45 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,590,499 times
Good luck, let us know how it goes!

Old 12-20-2007, 05:36 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Give 'em a cup of eggnog at the door and a hearty merry xmas!!! I agree with the above, they know you're off the market and since from reading your prior posts you're a neatnik anyway I wouldn't stress too much....

Good luck and here's wishing for your christmas present!!!!!!

Old 12-20-2007, 06:46 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,778,604 times
They saw your house on-line but not in person.

I agree with the others that the buyers know your home is not on the market so they should be expected to understand that it is in it's "livable" state instead of a "marketable" state.

Others have already given you good advice, and I concur with them.

However, if this party really wants your home, you have the advantage of not having it on the market and maybe you're not anxious to sell at all now -- that is unless you get a good price -- Try to work that to your advantage.

Bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate