Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 11:47 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times

Advertisements

I have my house for sale in a nice western town, which attracts upscale buyers by the droves. Unfortunately, my house is pretty small and humble, so does not appeal to that exurban demographic. When listing, I was optimistic, and started with a fairly aggressive price for the size of the house, and its condition. Now, one month in, I have had a fair number of people touring (10-15), but only a single lowball offer. Looking at Zillow, Trulia, etc., etc, I have decided that my price is a bit high, but not crazy. Overall, the market seems pretty hot this spring, so I do not want to cut too aggressively, but want to sell in the next 60 days or so.

What do you think is the optimal percentage for your first cut in such a situation? I don't want to be one of those buyers who cuts in $1500 increments for months. I want to do the deed and get some damn (good) offers soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 06:34 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,433,423 times
No offers or second showings? You are at leat 5% over market. What do recent comps say about the price? Can you better the condition?

Old 07-23-2014, 06:39 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
What was your agent's advice? S/he should know the market very well.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:44 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,664,872 times
What IS the correct price for your house? Do you even know? THAT is the price you should knock it down to. Either you want to sell it or you don't. You are, unfortunately, a poster child for "aggressive pricing" -- it's not "aggressive" to price yourself out of the market, it's foolhardy, and what has happened to you happens to almost every "aggressively priced" seller. You price high, hoping for a sucker to come along and throw money at you. Not too many suckers out there, these days, the housing market has made buyers wary. And many of those buyers have agents, who are perfectly capable of running comps and advising their clients accordingly. So you've wasted a month of prime marketing exposure being priced out of the market, and now you have to play catch-up. *sigh*

Stop looking at the garbage on Zillow and Trulia. Find a good listing agent to run comps for you -- pay them for their time if you don't want to hire a real estate agent to sell your house -- and then consider their advice seriously.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:20 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,998,561 times
And revisit that lowball offer. It might be close to market price. Ask if they are still interested and if so, counter w a reasonable price.

Often your first offer is your best offer.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:42 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,805,690 times
What price range are we talking about?
My rule is simple, if I see a listing with the house I potentially like and the initial price is too high + it never was under contract and been active since day one, I will monitor this house. If I see price change by less than 2%, I will not make any movements towards this house because I know seller will not be willing to take pretty much any price cut. If it's something like 3-5% off, I would think I am dealing with the willing seller, so I might be making an offer.
Disclaimer: I am NOT in the sellers market.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,186 times
If I may make a suggestion before you drop your price. I would assume you have done a good job with your marketing due to foot traffic in the house. I hope you are tracking the views of the websites that you have posted your property on.

The average home buyer does not understand 129,900 as much as they understand 542.00 per month. Other than passing, we do not even mention the purchase price it is all over the place. If they are renters, they have their current rent to compare the mortgage payment.

We have encountered this problem for investors over and over and in 50% of the cases, they did not slash the price at all. Others have offered concessions such as help with closing costs or small appliance bonus.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:04 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times
5-7% first reduction. 10% if you are really anxious.

BUT, one month in you have only seen the lookers who 'tour' every house. It is unlikely that you have seen a 'real' buyer--including the low ball guy who figured what the heck, you might go for it.

Give it a few months. Maybe through the end of August at least. Then make your move.

Why not turn a 'negative' into a positive? Humble house in a great place......someone who can't afford 'grandeur' might want in. Worth a shot in terms of your marketing strategy.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:44 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
Thanks everyone! I agree that I was a bit optimistic, but have learned my lesson. In negotiations, but if that falls through will cut 5-7%.

I will post back with the final outcome.

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 07-23-2014 at 01:19 PM..

Old 07-23-2014, 06:24 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
State the price and I'll tell you where my next reduction would be set at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate