Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 06:34 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,212,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
I've never understood why tax liens should concern a buyer--they get paid at closing out of the purchase price, right?

Is there any even equity in the property? It sounds like you sunk all of your nest egg into a remote large home with no comp's and no one has looked at in almost 2 years on the market?

This doesn't sound like a situation where there is going to be any equity. So you will have to come up with the cash to pay the liens @ closing.

How much is owed on the property? Is the mortgage current or in arrears?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 07:26 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
I've never understood why tax liens should concern a buyer--they get paid at closing out of the purchase price, right?
As a buyer, I would be very worried about the condition of the house if it has existing or past tax liens. Having a tax lien indicates (IMHO) a certain lack of responsibility of the owners.

And yes, they do get paid off at closing IF there is any equity. If not, you're gonna have to come to the table with cash. As a buyer, I'd be concerned about that scenario and would be VERY hesitant to even make an offer until the owner cleared those liens.

You've really landed yourself in a seriously sad situation, and I hope you're able to find a satisfactory resolution.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:54 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,155,125 times
No mortgage on the house; paid cash (I know, huge mistake--or I'd walk away from it). If I had the money to pay off the liens I would do that, of course, but the moolah is gone, gone, gone thanks to medical expenses. Will keep lowering the price but still want to find a realtor.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:08 PM

Have you tried asking on the NM boards for a realtor? Maybe if you explain your plight somebody might offer to help.

I am truly sorry to hear of your dilemma.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:27 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Have you tried asking on the NM boards for a realtor? Maybe if you explain your plight somebody might offer to help.

I am truly sorry to hear of your dilemma.

Good suggestion and ditto. It's not an easy situation and I hope you can find someone who can help you find a buyer.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:20 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
What is in the area? If there is game bird hunting, advertise in hunting dog magazines. Ditto for other types of hunting. Is it a farming area? Is there rock hounding? If there are cattle ranches, try for stock horse people.

There has to be something attractive about he area. Figure out what it is and target some ads towards the specific type of people who fancy that activity or hobby. Every hobby has specialty magazines and those all have classified ads.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:43 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,212,031 times
Quote:
No mortgage on the house; paid cash (I know, huge mistake--or I'd walk away from it). If I had the money to pay off the liens I would do that, of course, but the moolah is gone, gone, gone thanks to medical expenses. Will keep lowering the price but still want to find a realtor.
Take out an equity line and pay off the tax liens. The interest and penalties will just keep growing.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:56 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Take out an equity line and pay off the tax liens. The interest and penalties will just keep growing.
Yes indeed.

Mortgage rates are low right now.

Could potential buyers find out about the tax liens?

Old 08-08-2014, 11:21 AM

I'm going to bet that the OP has destroyed their credit so badly (unpaid medical bills) and has no income. They are unlikely to get that equity line, but it's certainly possible, and a VERY good idea.

Yes, tax liens are usually publicly listed, often on online county assessor websites. Those liens, in some areas, are actually purchased by investors - Vulture Investing. (By no means do I support or encourage this "investment.")

OregonWoodSmoke has some good ideas - but try to find the realtor first. You'll end up paying for the ads, I would suspect, but maybe you can cut a deal with them to repay you if the house sells from one of those ads. And let them handle the phone calls. This whole thing is far to emotionally charged for a FSBO.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:41 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,155,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
I read through the thread but add me as one more "It's price". You fix location by lowering the price. You lower it until someone buys it or you can't afford to lower it anymore. Is renting it out an option?
Good suggestion about renting out but in my situation, no, it will not work. Need the money, pay debt, and get the h--- out of the Land of Entrapment!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate