Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 02:44 PM

403 posts, read 1,169,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Mortgage fraud? Please, I just made a counter offer on a property, and my agent told me to ask for the concessions, and I talked to the bank, and they told me that is a good suggestion.

I'm 100% able to pay for this house in cash, so there is no fraud. Its a negoating tactic and in my case I'm using it to offset repairs the property need.

Whats the "Fraud" if its legally allowed?
The issue isn't concessions, PQ, it's how they concessions are conveyed to the buyer.

If they're conveyed to the buyer in a non-transparent manner (i.e., not clearly identified as such on the final HUD), then it's mortgage fraud.

It happens all the time, particularly when the seller is a FSBO and doesn't know any better. Unfortunately, while the FSBO seller may be an unwitting conspirator, he's a conspirator just the same - and ignorance of the law isn't an excuse in the eyes of most judges (although it should help at sentencing time).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 02:49 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,588,796 times
Guys...

Countrypooh is also in FL...has it occurred to any of the realtors that just slammed him/her that perhaps since FL market has tanked, they may not be able to afford a realtor now???
It may not just be an "avoid the commission" type reason, at least in my case in GA it's not...I'd love to have representation, but just can't see walking away owing $12-16k if I had to pay a realtor...

just some food for thought...

Old 12-20-2007, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingbyron View Post
Guys...

Countrypooh is also in FL...has it occurred to any of the realtors that just slammed him/her that perhaps since FL market has tanked, they may not be able to afford a realtor now???
It may not just be an "avoid the commission" type reason, at least in my case in GA it's not...I'd love to have representation, but just can't see walking away owing $12-16k if I had to pay a realtor...

Sure...and she couldn't afford to pay for the appraiser that provided her comps, or the title company if she's required to use one, or the excrow attorney, or the lender that she has to pay back.

I can't "afford" auto insurance or health insurance but, ya know, I pay for it anyway.

No one is slamming her...but do you really think that someone who's asking the most basic of questions on an Internet site should be selling as a FSBO? Read her posts - it's like she's got a sign saying "Rob me!" There's no way she can get all the advice she needs here.

Old 12-20-2007, 02:58 PM

Quote:
No one is slamming her...but do you really think that someone who's asking the most basic of questions on an Internet site should be selling as a FSBO?
I think the wording "seller contributions" would throw anyone off...heck, I went to real estate school and wasn't sure what she meant by that until I realized it was the same as seller concessions (ie closing, etc)...

Quote:
Sure...and she couldn't afford to pay for the appraiser that provided her comps, or the title company if she's required to use one, or the excrow attorney, or the lender that she has to pay back.
Right, hopefully she has figured all that in, but not everyone has the extra money to hire an agent...that's all...

Old 12-20-2007, 03:03 PM

Quote:
I think the wording "seller contributions" would throw anyone off...heck, I went to real estate school and wasn't sure what she meant ...
You're kidding me, right?

Old 12-20-2007, 03:28 PM

1,065 posts, read 4,144,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Mortgage fraud? Please, I just made a counter offer on a property, and my agent told me to ask for the concessions, and I talked to the bank, and they told me that is a good suggestion.

I'm 100% able to pay for this house in cash, so there is no fraud. Its a negoating tactic and in my case I'm using it to offset repairs the property need.

Whats the "Fraud" if its legally allowed?
If it's legally allowed by the lender and fully disclosed to the lender everything is legal. However seller paid down payment, is a common scam. There are one or two legal ways to do this still, but there are very specific guidelines regarding this. And last I heard all of these programs are being done away with soon, there was a moratorium on them for some time in the courts, only recently was it lifted until a final legal decision is made early next year.
It is perfectly normal to ask for seller paid closing costs however (also can be called concessions or assistance) and I'm sure that is what your realtor suggested. It only raises my eyebrow when they aren't putting any money down, or they have a weak pre-qual or weak offer.

In ANY event, if a buyer is asking for 10% in "seller concessions" "seller assistance" or whatever else you want to call it, I'd question whether the offer is legit.

Good luck to the OP, alot of people can successfully sell on their own. But this is such a simple question, I'd hate to see what you don't even know to ask.

Old 12-20-2007, 04:35 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,068,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Young View Post
The issue isn't concessions, PQ, it's how they concessions are conveyed to the buyer.

If they're conveyed to the buyer in a non-transparent manner (i.e., not clearly identified as such on the final HUD), then it's mortgage fraud.

It happens all the time, particularly when the seller is a FSBO and doesn't know any better. Unfortunately, while the FSBO seller may be an unwitting conspirator, he's a conspirator just the same - and ignorance of the law isn't an excuse in the eyes of most judges (although it should help at sentencing time).
Well i dont consider "kick backs" as concessions.. they are a world of differences. Kickbacks, not disclosed is fraud, disclosed as a concession they are not fraud and totally legal.

Old 12-20-2007, 05:15 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,964,887 times
He said contributing toward down payment would be fraud which it is. Reread the post.

Old 12-20-2007, 05:21 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,964,887 times
Quote:
Guys...

Quite honestly, it's not our problem. I know it seems callous but we are paid because of our knowledge to help the client and the time we spend doing so. If we give that away, we have no value. If he needs help which he clearly does, he should hire a Realtor. It's not Realtors fault the market is bad in some areas. Real estate, like stocks, bonds, etc. is cyclical. It's unfortunate that some people get stuck but we do what we can and go forward. It's life.

Old 12-20-2007, 05:36 PM

Quote:
You're kidding me, right?
Swear to God! I've never ever heard anything termed as quote "seller contributions"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate