Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 07:59 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,835,691 times

Advertisements

I've heard of a lot of investors doing this. I currently own a few homes in the Seattle area, but they are expensive. Why not buy a bunch of 25-50K houses in some place like Ohio (which seems to be a favorite for investors that do this) and rent them out? The rents appear to be $600-$900 a month per house. I actually see a lot of rennovated houses in Ohio going for 15K. WOW...Yeah, you won't make much on appreciation, but the cashflow...

Anyone doing this or have done it?

Anyone else thinking about doing it?

What are some good markets to do this in?

What are the pitfalls?

Do you travel out of state to buy these properties or do you have an out of state real estate team?

How did you find your real estate team out of state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 09:56 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Maintenance, RE taxes, insurance and a management company... What does that add up to?

And what's the vacancy rate in the area? Cheap house and overhead are great if you have a tenant. Not so great if the house stays empty.

Would require thorough research IMHO

Old 07-29-2014, 08:07 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,798,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
I've heard of a lot of investors doing this. I currently own a few homes in the Seattle area, but they are expensive. Why not buy a bunch of 25-50K houses in some place like Ohio (which seems to be a favorite for investors that do this) and rent them out? The rents appear to be $600-$900 a month per house. I actually see a lot of rennovated houses in Ohio going for 15K. WOW...Yeah, you won't make much on appreciation, but the cashflow...

What are the pitfalls?

Do you travel out of state to buy these properties or do you have an out of state real estate team?

If you can or get a management team to handle it, it all works out.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:26 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,490,296 times
Be sure to find a good property management company.

I've seen many once stable neighborhoods ruined by out of state investors, who get a series of bad tenants and/or a lazy property manager that allows the property to fall into ruin, and then cut their losses and walk away from their property.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:14 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times
I bought my rentals in Phoenix because the math just doesn't work to own rentals in Los Angeles where I live. I manage my own rentals, it takes 7 hours to drive if I must be there, and my cousin who can act as my informal "management company" has sets to all houses for emergency use. I also have my own crew of various contractors and home warranties.

This will not work if you are not within driving distance of your rentals.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:28 PM

4,566 posts, read 10,654,191 times
Quote:
I actually see a lot of rennovated houses in Ohio going for 15K.
Unless your going to look for section 8 renters, you will never see any rent past the first month in neighborhoods with $15k houses.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:05 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,928,108 times
Quote:

What are the pitfalls?

Cause the local Ohio investors can do it cheaper and make more profits than you.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:10 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,741,584 times
Where are these cheap $15-50k homes that I can buy in ohio? I'd love to buy a few. My house was a lot more than that

Old 07-29-2014, 07:48 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,490,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
Where are these cheap $15-50k homes that I can buy in ohio? I'd love to buy a few. My house was a lot more than that
In Ohio's cities, and maybe in some rural areas, too.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:14 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,741,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
In Ohio's cities, and maybe in some rural areas, too.
I'm in Columbus. I'll have to check it out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate