Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2007, 05:12 AM

2 posts, read 10,185 times

Advertisements

If any California experts know, please help. We moved out of state. My wife traveled back to CA to approve a kitchen remodel. She also was supposed to meet with a couple of realtors about selling. The problem is that she signed a contract with one before talking to me about it, and I do not think the person is right for us. I hope the agent will not try to twist my arm, but if he does, I want to know in advance: since only my wife signed the listing agreement, and I did not, can we just tell the agent we are not going to use him?

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 11:36 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,593,556 times
You should consult a CA real estate attorney. The listing agreement is a contract and the best person to explain the contract is the agent who submitted it to you, and a RE attorney in the State in question.

Old 12-23-2007, 11:43 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
In CA a Real Estate listing must be signed by ALL parties on title, or their legal representatives, such as an Attorney-in-fact, executor or administrator of an estate. Your contract is likely not valid. That being said, the realtor involved should have verified who is on title within a working day or two, or should have inquired of your wife if the property was hers alone.

Another twist. If your wife acquired title to the property before she married you, it is her property (California is a community property state) and you would not be on the title unless she gifted you an interest through an interspousal transfer deed.

I'm curious how you came to the conclusion that the agent isn't right for you, but maybe that's getting too personal.

I hope this helps.

Old 12-23-2007, 11:46 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
You cannot be forced to sell the property - regardless.

However, the listing is an employment agreement - a personal services contract - not a contract to sell a property. As such, if the agent performs the job they were hired to do -- presented a "ready, willing and able" buyer at the price and terms of the listing, inasmuch as California is community property state, you may be obligated to pay a commission.

Old 12-23-2007, 12:16 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwhite View Post
If any California experts know, please help. We moved out of state. My wife traveled back to CA to approve a kitchen remodel. She also was supposed to meet with a couple of realtors about selling. The problem is that she signed a contract with one before talking to me about it, and I do not think the person is right for us. I hope the agent will not try to twist my arm, but if he does, I want to know in advance: since only my wife signed the listing agreement, and I did not, can we just tell the agent we are not going to use him?

Thanks for any help.
If your name is on the title, I seriously doubt the contract is enforcable unless she holds a power of attorney.

Furthermore, if they did try to enforce the contract, usual damagers = actual damages and the agent would need to justify any damages.

I would though try to see if you can work with the agent and see about working out the differences, no one likes legal issues.

I'm not a realtor or lawyer though, so take it as one forum posters opinion

Old 12-23-2007, 01:51 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwhite View Post

Thanks for any help.
As Greatday said it is a personal service contract and might be enforcable. Further it has impact in Realtor circles that can play hob with your ability to hire anyone else.

Tell the Agent you don't want them and ask them nicely to go away. If they won't ask the Broker. If the Broker won't go to the Real Estate Board. I don't really think it will go that far but you should settle it up front.

Old 12-23-2007, 01:54 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
As Greatday said it is a personal service contract and might be enforcable. Further it has impact in Realtor circles that can play hob with your ability to hire anyone else.

Tell the Agent you don't want them and ask them nicely to go away. If they won't ask the Broker. If the Broker won't go to the Real Estate Board. I don't really think it will go that far but you should settle it up front.
Good advice.

Old 01-11-2008, 04:17 PM

2 posts, read 10,185 times
Thanks for all the helpful advice. To answer some of the issues raised in the responses above:

- my wife and I were married before we bought the house, and purchased it together
- she does not have power of attorney for me
- we notified the agent we had decided against him within an hour after she signed the agreement, so he did no work on our behalf
- we decided not to use him after he started talking to my wife about strategy. Primarily, we object to these things: he wanted to lowball the price, to drum up interest and get a bidding war going, which we do not believe is going to work in this market; his rate and length of contract are both higher than I can accept (wife was supposed to find out and confer with me before agreeing); he was going out of town for weeks, introducing a delay we did not want. Overall, his comments indicated that he does not 'believe' in the house.

Last edited by pwhite; 01-11-2008 at 04:17 PM.. Reason: typo in line 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate