Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 08:35 AM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times

Advertisements

Kentucky.
A Union state and not part of the CSA.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:40 AM

245 posts, read 291,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeye View Post
No. Because the person who uses a wheelchair is a parent and a care giver to our kids, the entire area would have to be accessible to be able to make sure he could reach them.

Ie if it was an unfinished basement and one of the kids went down for what ever reason, and they were injured, he wouldn't be able to reach them.
Makes sense. I think you should look into building the perfect dream home to fit your family's needs.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:42 AM

51,650 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Quote:
Clearly, we are making decisions as a family and taking all factors in consideration. Its a case of people not actually knowing the specifics of our family situation.

Just to answer your question, my husband grew up in the north, while using a wheelchair, and he wants to go back. He knows how to navigate ice and snow. Many people use a w/c live in the north.

Another issue, my husband has temp regulation issues...only with heat. These loooooong hot summers are very difficult for him. Going out in the middle of the day is a potential for heat stroke for 6 months out of the year.
Thanks for your explanation.

I took care of my mother for years in ice and snow country. Many times we were trapped at home because walkways anywhere but at hospitals were not shoveled and de-iced in a timely manner.

There are many people who use a w/c living in the north country, but the ones I've met are usually planning a move south because of the difficulty in getting around 4-6 months out of the year.

I love living in the north and I can certainly understand those with temp regulation issues wanting to live there. You can always warm up. Not so easy to cool down.

Hope you find your dream area.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:17 AM

421 posts, read 556,335 times
Quote:
No. Because the person who uses a wheelchair is a parent and a care giver to our kids, the entire area would have to be accessible to be able to make sure he could reach them.

Ie if it was an unfinished basement and one of the kids went down for what ever reason, and they were injured, he wouldn't be able to reach them.
I was given a rep comment that this is the only sensible thing I have said. Perhaps I wasn't explaining the obvious because I assumed it was obvious. I suppose people don't understand the aspects of our family, but that's why it's not helpful to give opinions or answers based on things you don't fully understand.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:17 AM

25,957 posts, read 22,107,325 times
This really isn't the kind of thing than anyone other than the OP can accomplish. It just takes work and making lists and someone suggested making the lists. Unless the family is wealthy with a good cash reserve, it will necessary for the husband to find a job because moving without a job is not a good idea. So, you start with a list of where you would like to live and then match that up with job possibilities. When possible jobs come up, you hit your research hard on the housing issue in case the husband is hired. You'll need to have more than one choice of areas and the more, the better. Dream house/location have been described. I would rank the importance of each item so that I could determine, when the job offer comes in, which I could give up in order to get most of what I desired. Desires and needs are not the same. OP has the right to have the home she wants but the obligation to put in the work to find it. I would agree that the north and winter is tough especially as you get older. Winters are SO much harder than they used to be and all states now seem to get a lot of ice which is really difficult to deal with.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Thanks for your explanation.

I took care of my mother for years in ice and snow country. Many times we were trapped at home because walkways anywhere but at hospitals were not shoveled and de-iced in a timely manner.

There are many people who use a w/c living in the north country, but the ones I've met are usually planning a move south because of the difficulty in getting around 4-6 months out of the year.

I love living in the north and I can certainly understand those with temp regulation issues wanting to live there. You can always warm up. Not so easy to cool down.

Hope you find your dream area.
Thanks. Yeah I'm a little worried about a lot of snow and ice as well. But hubby has been really positive about it. He isn't one to be held back from what he wants in life. But he is very used to working around things and being fully independent (besides stairs of course). Lol actually in his younger days he used to take full sets of staircases down on his own. He showed me once and I almost had a heart attack!

As a family we are ready for a big change. I figure of we hate winter, its a trade off. Cause we hate summer here. And life isn't just weather. Of course my kids think snow will be awesome.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
This really isn't the kind of thing than anyone other than the OP can accomplish. It just takes work and making lists and someone suggested making the lists. Unless the family is wealthy with a good cash reserve, it will necessary for the husband to find a job because moving without a job is not a good idea. So, you start with a list of where you would like to live and then match that up with job possibilities. When possible jobs come up, you hit your research hard on the housing issue in case the husband is hired. You'll need to have more than one choice of areas and the more, the better. Dream house/location have been described. I would rank the importance of each item so that I could determine, when the job offer comes in, which I could give up in order to get most of what I desired. Desires and needs are not the same. OP has the right to have the home she wants but the obligation to put in the work to find it. I would agree that the north and winter is tough especially as you get older. Winters are SO much harder than they used to be and all states now seem to get a lot of ice which is really difficult to deal with.
Thanks for the reply. Job is #1, we have interviews set up in several locations.

Its funny, each member of the family has a top priority and, since the move will be 95% on my shoulders (and I am taking the year off work to focus on the kids and this potential move), I'm trying to juggle and balance it all. Of course, the kids priorities aren't weighted as heavily parents. But my last move (14 years ago) was really hard. And I don't want to have my entire family to suffer through a difficult move like I did.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:35 AM

8,573 posts, read 12,405,577 times
Quote:
Just to answer your question, my husband grew up in the north, while using a wheelchair, and he wants to go back.
I don't blame him. Being from a more northern state, I would never want to live in the deep south.

I think you're simply going to need to narrow down where you might wish to move, and take it from there.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:41 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,637,133 times
If you were not dead set on having snow, almost any home in Venice, FL fits the bill. And your price point would get you a pool and hot tub.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlking58 View Post
If you were not dead set on having snow, almost any home in Venice, FL fits the bill. And your price point would get you a pool and hot tub.
We are soooooo done with our pool and the hot and humid weather
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate